Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
New fulltimer, JUST got my 2013 Flying Cloud 25'!

Starting in Arlington, VA, and supposed to move to Austin TX in the next couple of days. I'm just finishing moving everything in. Can't even tell you how excited I am

I have noticed a few tiny things that need addressing:
  • The vent fan in the shower seems to be dead
  • For some reason my phone won't connect to Bluetooth but everything else does (this is probably less of a "trailer" problem and more of a "phone" problem)
  • Does anyone know where I can source replacement curtains? The ones that are in there are ugly as sin, lol.
  • Got a cracked vent cover/louver on the air conditioner and in general the AC plastic cover inside the vehicle looks kinda dingy. I wonder if this whole assembly can just be replaced?
  • The not-so-tiny one: This is a twin bed floorplan and I very much want to switch it to a queen/double floorplan. Has anyone gone through this process before? The floorplans are identical in this model except for the beds. One thing that might be a sticking point is the "trunk" in the back of the trailer that seems to extend under the twin beds and under the nightstand. I guess I'd have to shorten that or something?

Anyway, yeah. I'm stoked and excited to get into adventure mode
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_123729.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	368021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_125042.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	368022  

starkruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkruzr View Post
Starting in Arlington, VA, and supposed to move to Austin TX in the next couple of days. I'm just finishing moving everything in. Can't even tell you how excited I am

I have noticed a few tiny things that need addressing:
  • The vent fan in the shower seems to be dead
  • For some reason my phone won't connect to Bluetooth but everything else does (this is probably less of a "trailer" problem and more of a "phone" problem)
  • Does anyone know where I can source replacement curtains? The ones that are in there are ugly as sin, lol.
  • Got a cracked vent cover/louver on the air conditioner and in general the AC plastic cover inside the vehicle looks kinda dingy. I wonder if this whole assembly can just be replaced?
  • The not-so-tiny one: This is a twin bed floorplan and I very much want to switch it to a queen/double floorplan. Has anyone gone through this process before? The floorplans are identical in this model except for the beds. One thing that might be a sticking point is the "trunk" in the back of the trailer that seems to extend under the twin beds and under the nightstand. I guess I'd have to shorten that or something?

Anyway, yeah. I'm stoked and excited to get into adventure mode
Hey there,
Nice coach.

Bathroom fan is an easy swap out if you're moderately handy and know how not to shock yourself when working with electricty.

Learn to love your curtains if they are in good shape. I suggest dealing with them. They are really expensive to replace.

You should be able to get a replacement plenum cover unless you have some wacky brand of AC. What model is in there now?

I'm sure there is a pretty straight forward swap as I doubt AS made two different bodies for a trailer that share 90% of the floorplan.

Austin is full, sorry. Plus it really sucks here. It's horribly ugly, there is nothing to do and all the people are dumb and unattractive.

In all seriousness, PM me if you'd like when you get here. If you're full timing you might not have all the tools you need for some of this stuff. Curious, where will you be fulltiming when you get here?

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Upon review you have a Dometic Penguin which takes their universal plenum cover for non-ducted units.

Call the grumpy folks at Dometic on monday and they should be able to begrudgingly help you if say the magic words.

Ian
Old 05-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
I’m full timing in a 27ft International just a little south of you in Stafford, VA. Nearly all the modifications/repairs you need/want to make can be done with a bit of reading/research on the forums and you tube. That’s how I’ve learned literally everything I know about living in an Airstream.

My radio also does not do well connecting to my phone via Bluetooth. There’s a way to trick it by toggling on/off Bluetooth at just the right time. Try googling it and you’ll probably find the same post I did that finally ‘taught’ me how to do it.

Feel free to send me a DM if you have questions or need help with anything before you head south!
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Welcome and NICE Unit. Your adventure is truly one of a lifetime. I will keep an eye out for you as I travel. Enjoy your adventure !!
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats!

Concerning the curtains, a member of our unit of the AS Club has a business making replacement curtains. Her name is Carey Boland and here is a link to her website, https://www.airstreamcurtains.com/

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
Hey there,
Nice coach.

Bathroom fan is an easy swap out if you're moderately handy and know how not to shock yourself when working with electricty.
Good to hear. Yeah, I have no trouble turning a screwdriver, coaxing things to pop in or out the right way, etc. Theoretically I'm an engineer

Quote:
You should be able to get a replacement plenum cover unless you have some wacky brand of AC. What model is in there now?
Excellent. Yeah, I think it's the one you found in the next post.

Quote:
Austin is full, sorry. Plus it really sucks here. It's horribly ugly, there is nothing to do and all the people are dumb and unattractive.
I have some work related stuff to do there, and also am super tired of DC's vibe, so here I come.

Quote:
In all seriousness, PM me if you'd like when you get here. If you're full timing you might not have all the tools you need for some of this stuff. Curious, where will you be fulltiming when you get here?
About halfway between downtown and the Texas Advanced Computing Center, which is where our lab is at work. One of two backyards with full hookups, depending on where I fit.
starkruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
That’s great that you can relocate. Had to look up TACC and that’s basically the north side of town.

Regarding fitting into places, you may want to consider installing a front hitch. Not only are they handy for accessories but can aid you in getting into spots that are difficult if not impossible to back into. I’ve pushed trailers into spots they had no right to be in on several occasions and it even saved my butt when I became trapped in a very tight turnaround.

Hopefully you can meander down here and spend some time along the way, I imagine with the right planning it could be a really nice trip.

There are some great camping opportunities within a 3-5 hour drive of Austin (in Texas we call that down the street) that I’d be happy to share with you and loads just beyond that.

Good luck!
Ian