Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Hudson , Wisconsin
New from Wisc.

I think I want an Airstream for build quality. Have had travel trailers for 5 years and fifth wheels for the last 4 including a new 2012 Keystone model we just picked up last month. Knew there would be kinks to work out in buying new... but am astonished at the absolute lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer - AC not vented properly, lamp shades glued on now falling apart, cabinetry not attached properly, missing hardware on plumbing attachments, etc... The list goes on. Very disappointed overall.

This experience has led me to search the camping world for real quality and attention to detail. Never thought I'd ever say it, but I feel like I'm willing to give up my 3 slide-outs and huge storage, for piece of mind in a quality built structure.

I've read some posts on here already of people who seem to share my thoughts. Great forum! Lastly... Anybody know why Airstream doesn't make a fifth wheel? I would thing AS or some other manufacturer would be making aluminum skinned 5th wheels by now to increase storage capabilities... even without the slides. Seems like there would be a market for them.
Closequarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Welcome to the forum. While most of us love our Airstreams, no TT is perfect. Read thru the various threads to see the posters likes and dislikes. We love our AS and are very happy with our purchase. Wish you luck and success on your research and happy hunting for your new AS.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstream did make a 5th wheel for a couple years and gave up. They had some problems with their design and the competition pricing lead to low sales volume. They gave, up just as they did with Class A motor homes. A couple years ago the company defined the market they are after and feel they can successfully compete. It appears Airstream regards themselves as a true "travel trailer" intended to travel rather than a a camping or destination sit in one spot for the winter trailer.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closequarter View Post
Lastly... Anybody know why Airstream doesn't make a fifth wheel?
They have!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f419...tml#post727925

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote