Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Saipan , MP
New From Saipan

Hello, I am presently living on the Island of Saipan and am new to the forum. I am presently looking for a AS. I hope to retire in the next 2-3 years and want to travel the USA. My wife and I have lived outside the USA for the past 30 years. We will be retiring to North Carolina. I am thinking of a 25 or 28 foot AS but not sure. Any suggestions for a newbie looking for a AS?
Wyrbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrbndr View Post
Hello, I am presently living on the Island of Saipan and am new to the forum. I am presently looking for a AS. I hope to retire in the next 2-3 years and want to travel the USA. My wife and I have lived outside the USA for the past 30 years. We will be retiring to North Carolina. I am thinking of a 25 or 28 foot AS but not sure. Any suggestions for a newbie looking for a AS?
Visit here often and read a LOT.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
North Carolina you have Out Of Doors Mart big AS dealer and also look in the classified for Osomean (sp) I think they are a dealer that lists a lot of airstreams in the classified. Many seem to be in NC.

Study a lot make a good choice first.

What region of NC you looking at?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Saipan , MP
Thank you. I purchased a house in King, just north fo Winston-Salem two years ago and have a daughter that lives in Greensboro and one in Charlotte. I have been looking in those areas but I am still all new to this so will keep looking.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Thank you. I purchased a house in King, just north fo Winston-Salem two years ago and have a daughter that lives in Greensboro and one in Charlotte. I have been looking in those areas but I am still all new to this so will keep looking.
Good choice. Visit OODM even if you are sure you want gently used. Tour (shoes off) and sit in every model. Imagine cooking, sleeping, using the shower, and plan where you will store your clothes, etc. Try out dinettes and beds. Finding out you cannot stand a crosswise queen is best done before you buy! Make a list of "must have" and "don't want" features.

Consider twin beds - better storage with easier access below and above , and they let you use the bedroom as a second living room (your wife can watch football with her friends while you and your friends play bridge on a tray table in the lounge/bedroom. Cuddling just requires a bit of creativity.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Since you are still on Saipan [correct?], remote learning will be your best tool for now. Welcome to our brave new world.

Colonial Airstream in NJ has a great site for exploring, as Patrick Botticelli has made tons of videos about various models. He is very knowledgeable about all things RV-ish, including motor homes and the competitors' lines, and was very helpful years ago when were considering our options.

https://www.colonialairstream.com/
YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/kAXloWrZTH8

For instance, here is the 20' model, similar to our FC20: https://youtu.be/KGHAUVOneKY

The 25' Airstream you mentioned is a good model to consider, as it is still fairly tow-able, has a separate bedroom, etc.. We had one years ago, which we actually bought used in North Carolina: https://youtu.be/YIcUAI2rjog

Moving up to 28' would be OK but more challenging to tow for a novice IMO. If you already have experience towing trailers in general, it would be a good option if you want the larger size.

Colonial in New Jersey is just a short hop up the coast from NC, and I highly recommend the sales staff. Their service department is also said to be top notch, and they have an outstanding inventory of new and used trailers [an option well worth considering IMO].

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Welcome Wyrbndr. Be advised that Colonial Airstream’s showroom is currently closed to the public because of Covid. Give them a call, (732) 367-4499, before heading there.

Like Peter said, they have a great selection of models to choose from with nobody hanging over you - unless you want/need that personal touch. Patrick’s videos on YouTube are a wealth of knowledge. Take notes.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Watch all the YouTube videos about Airstream you can stand. Then you'll be up to speed is so many areas. And do the same for your tow vehicle.
Once here, hit the road and enjoy the America you've been missing for the last 30 years. We were expats too and don't plan to travel outside the USA anymore. (We're in the high risk group).
When things open up again we'll be continuing our "see all the Nat'l Parks" sojourn.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:27 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Saipan , MP
Thanks Bob. I am interested in visiting all the national parks and my wife keeps asking for a book. Do you know any good books that list all the national parks?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I am interested in visiting all the national parks and my wife keeps asking for a book. Do you know any good books that list all the national parks?

Try the National Geographic website. I seem to remember they did a book on many of them.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This one looks good and is spiral bound:

https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...dp_ob_title_bk

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Greensboro , North Carolina
Welcome

Out Of Doors Mart the oldest dealer in the world is located about 30 miles from King. I live about five or six miles from them and use them for parts and service. They are really great to work with. We are in our second Airstream it is a 25 ft. twin. It is perfect layout and size for us. It is easy to tow with my Ram 1500 and have never had a problem finding a place to park it.
We bought it form in Osomean which is located in Knightdale NC which is just outside of Raleigh. They only sale used Airstreams and do not have a parts of service department. However I found them very easy to deal with.

One great test to find the Airstream that will work for you is to try making up the bed in the different floor plans!
whg3 is offline   Reply With Quote