Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
WALNUT CREEK , California
Talking New Family Looking for Advice on Used Airstream

Hello Fellow Airstreamers,

I’ve been lurking around this website for years learning, laughing and crying with you and your adventures and decided it was time I joined in on all the fun. We’ve been Popup Tent camping for years in our 2003 Colman Carmel up and down the coast of California and want to do longer trips across country. I’ve wanted an Airstream for years but the price has been a factor (my house payment is hard enough theses days).

Like many on this site I’ve been searching all the Airstreams links for that perfect combination of size, features, price, weight, etc.. At this point I know that I’ll need to find a unit that 7.5ft wide by 25ft, can sleep 3 (1 big dad, mom and a Son growing faster everyday) and don’t want a new unit due to size and weight. I have a Ford F150 with a 5.4 and can tow 9000lb (or so they have me believe) but less is better on the gas bill and I have limited storage space.

That said I’ve believe I’ve found the “perfect” (I’m old enough to know better by young enough to still believe”) Airstream that meets all my (and more importantly the Better Half’s) requirements in a 1969 TradeWinds 25 located not far from my home. The pictures of the unit make it seem almost new. However I know the asbestos flooring will have to come out and I want to make the front gaucho’s in to a U shaped unit that makes into a larger bed which in turn means I’ll end up gutting the thing and starting from the bathroom back (I know how these thing go). I’m handy and can do a lot of the grunt work myself and I’m not afraid to write a check when I’m in over my head. I fully expect to drop 10K for new everything and upgrades to axels, shocks and adding disk breaks but it’s a far cry from the $56K they want for a new one..

The unit is new to CA and comes here via Wyoming. The seller says he just brought it down to CA in December. I have some hope the running gear is in good enough shape to get it the 90 miles back home.. The Seller is asking $4000 ‘as is’ and I’ll be inspecting the unit on Sunday with hopes of bringing it home. I’ve been beat out of 3 others so I’m almost desperate to take it regardless of any problems, but luckily the wife holds the checkbook and shoots better than me.

I noticed that some folks a willing to provide some insight as to what to look out for with specific Airstream Models and with a few pictures can help identify problem areas. I hate to be so needy so soon but timing is everything… I’ve posted a few photos that the seller provided on the site and welcome any insight from the community on this unit and anything I should look out for. I thank you for reading my post and look forward to sharing all my “fun” and “Pain” with you…

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream_left_view.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	94158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270006.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	94159  

Name:	P1010012.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	94160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270009.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	94161  

Name:	P6270005.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	94162   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270003.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	94163  

Name:	AirstreamVIN-1.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	94164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270002.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	94165  

Name:	AirstreamFront.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	94166   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270008.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	94167  

the3Blairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In this case what does the "as is" mean? What actually works and what doesn't? What upgrades have been done and when? Check for water damage and floor rot in the nooks and crannies around sink, water lines, water heater, and where the floors meet the wall.

And don't forget to check if the axles will need replacement. Do a forums search on this and you will find more than you ever will want to know.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Blairs View Post
I have a Ford F150 with a 5.4 and can tow 9000lb (or so they have me believe) but less is better on the gas bill and I have limited storage space.
The 5.4 Ford will be more than adequate for a trailer of this size. Just make sure you have proper weight distribution and sway set up--tons of thread here on that.
Also wise to look for any signs of rear separation. Not as common on the shorter trailers but it does happen. Many threads also but quick look signs are stressed or bulging skin towards the rear (as you look down the side of the trailer front to rear), parts pulled away above the rear bumper area, etc. This is repairable but a major budget/time killer if it exists on the trailer.
Good luck with the deal.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
I am certainly no pro, but I've seen Airstreams in poorer condition at 10K, one in particular was 500 miles North of us, we didn't purchase it because the seller would not budge on the 10K price. 4K seems pretty good, go take a road trip and see her! Make it a family adventure!

As my husband says when I tell him of something we need to fix "really Jes, its a trailer ya pull behind your truck", in other words anything is fixable if ya got the passion for it! Thats what hobbies are for! You will have a lot of fun tinkering with it!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
The 5.4 Ford will be more than adequate for a trailer of this size. Just make sure you have proper weight distribution and sway set up--tons of thread here on that.
Also wise to look for any signs of rear separation. Not as common on the shorter trailers but it does happen. Many threads also but quick look signs are stressed or bulging skin towards the rear (as you look down the side of the trailer front to rear), parts pulled away above the rear bumper area, etc. This is repairable but a major budget/time killer if it exists on the trailer.
Good luck with the deal.
Ditto all the above

For just about every opinion on the forum (you know what they say about opinions) you will also find the opposite. My following opinion is no exception.But that's just me and I'm a little nuts.

As far as the 90 mile tow, I would like to know when were the bearings greased last and are the brakes functional. I would not let the bearing or tire condition stop you from towing it home. If there is a question about the bearings and brakes bring some grease and listen for grinding. Be prepared to pull a wheel and grease the bearings or pull the brake shoes if the wheel heats up. If you have a spare bring it, but you can tow for a short distance on 3 wheels. Take it easy. Even with no brakes your F150 can stop you but give yourself a wide margin of error.

The field test for rear end separation is to jump up and down on the back bumper. There should be very little movement of the bumper without the body following suit.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Just note that in the pictures there is NO spare tire... The first exterior picture. you CAN see the spare tire carrier mount (under the body just under the LP tanks) and it is empty.

I would just check the tires and hit the road...

The price seems low for the condition...

looking at the pictures (this is not the best ... or even a good way to tell) it looks like axles may be in order. This can be done less that 1800.00 in your driveway. Adding the disc brakes at that time will be the most economical.

If you are planning on axles I would not even worry about the bearings. Just grab that deal and drive.

Get it home and look over every window and seam for sealant cracks, and take care of them first, then window and door seals.

Sanitize the water system.

Hook it to the truck and go...

I would do the running gear stuff early in your adventure and use it while you do the "remodel".

The Name "the3blairs" Is great!!!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Let's put this in perspective - what did you pay for your Coleman? Probably more than $4K. Need I say more?

Think of this as a $10K Airstream, and you are just buying the base unit - knowing you will put money into it. Pictures look awesome!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So where can I see the trailer Seriously, if the floor, frame & rear end are all good, looks like a sweet deal to me! I'd be on it like flies on rice. Course, I don't always do my homework like I should....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Rear End Seperation

I looked at this AS. Take a look at the rear. IMO it has rear end seperation. Take a look at some of the threads on this forum that explain the problem and the work involved to repair. Im in no way saying you should not buy this trailer but you may want to make sure you know what lies ahead of you.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
WALNUT CREEK , California
Now for the Rest of the Story!

Fellow Airstreamers,

Thank you all, for all the input; it was very timely and helpful. As for the 1969 Trade Winds – I was out bid… But that might not be a bad thing.

It the rainy time of year here in Northern CA but that didn’t stop us from driving to Capitola to check over the 1969 Trade Winds. The unit was in a muddy field but we were able to get to it and check it out. The outer condition showed signs of storage outside in a harsh climate. Althought many of the running lights had be replaces all the window seals were old and cracked. The lines of the trailer are straight but a number of upper and lower rivets were missing and had been siliconed over, upper and lower trim missing and all awning connections broken or missing. The rear of the unit show definite signs of advanced separation and dry rot. Could not open the back but you could see the rust holes and things were loose in the back. There was a lot of rust covered up with some new paint. The spare tire was inplace but was old, the trailer tires were old but decent tread with no cracking that I could spot - most likley I could get it home. The LP tanks were missing and all the regulator and gas lines were old. The emergency brake was original and would need replacing.

Inside the unit showed ok. The cabinets were in good condition but most all the plastic latches were broke or brittle. The metal curtains were old and hard to use and the cloth curtains were clean but old. Appliances were ok but all needed replacing. Lights were all in place but needed fixing and some had rust which makes me think there are roof leaks but I didn't see any. The real problem was in the bathroom where the floor was very soft. The plastic was good (a few cracks in the corners) but all the fixtures would need to be replaced or rebuilt. Smell of “petroleum” throught, I’m thinking solvent of some type to remove the glue used to stick the carpet (removed) to the original floor. The petroleum smell masked any mold smell – but from what I could see it look tight and as it was raining outside I didn’t see or notice any excusive moisture or dampness.

The unit was worth the $4000 asking price but although the picture looked good what you couldn’t see was the real issues. This is a "down to the frame' resteration. I’m 2nd inline if the current deal falls through. If we do end up with the unit I know this is a 2 year project and I’ll be rebuilding it to 2010 standards (keeping as much of the 1960 charm as possible).

Thanks to all the replied, well keep looking.

Jim
the3Blairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I'm always one to feel that "things happen for a reason", or "things align when they are supposed to". If it's to be, it will be, and if not, then the one you need will find you- like a stray dog :-) Good luck and keep in touch,as we all enjoy another fellow AS lover.

rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
The3Blairs,

Good luck! Looks like a nice unit, but what do we know? Two years ago we paid a little more than that for our 72 Safari.... and it was in awful shape. I guess it all depends how bad you want it. Looking back, I would say we were dumb. But we have sure enjoyed working on it. It is seriously a money pit. It is true that you can always find something to spend money on in your AS. If you buy it, may you enjoy every minute of it. If you ever feel like you didn't get a good deal, go here to see our tales: Our hunk a hunk of burnin' (silver) love

Happy Trails!
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
Oh, I guess I didn't read the "rest of the story".... I am sorry you were outbid. That only means your AS is still out there waiting for you to discover it! It will happen... Keep the faith.
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote