Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

New California member / 1967 Sovereign

Hi my name is Pony and I'm in the middle of a major restoration of my 1967 30' Sovereign. Right now I'm replacing the wood floor and de-rusting the frame, what a job. There are no dents in the body but the finish is rough. I'm thinking of painting it light gray over dark gray. The inside will have a 40s retro thing going on (I'm a Miller/Dorsey nut). I hope to have it completed and on the road by next summer. I was looking for a smaller trailer but for the price I couldn't pass this one up. I am very happy to find such a wonderful site.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Pony, welcome to the forums and the '67 Airstream club! Sounds like you've got some big plans for your Sovereign - any pictures to share? Looking forward to hearing more about your project. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #3

Thank you Mel, I'm sorry to say I didn't take any inside pictures before I gutted it but I'll start for the rebuilding process. Yours looks very nice. This is my first trailer. I was looking for a small Shasta or something like that when I found this one in a storage yard, It just said "please take me with you" so I did. I pulled it with my 1962 1/2 ton Chevy pick up. It has a 327 ci motor but the drum brakes will have to go to a disc conversion for the front. Just more work but it'll sure look nice, a 1962 Chevy pulling a 1967 Airstream. I don't think I'm dreaming too much.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Yes, I too have heeded the call from an Airstream to "please take me home with you." That can't be easily ignored! And no, you're not dreaming too much - check out the thread on vintage tow vehicles to see that you're in good company. Have fun!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
lafayette , California
HI. My name is Karen and I purchased a 1967 Overlander back in December. It needs a ton of work, including an entire gut of the inside. (There were rats' nest under cabinets, oven, etc.) I covered it for the winter with a blue plastic tarp held on by bungie cords hooked on the bumper. When I took off the tarp, there are black slash marks where the winds whipped the tarp on one side. The marks are not from the bungie cords because those are on the bottom. I can't get the black marks off. Any ideas? Thanks!
kar2879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1961 22' Safari
2003 25' Safari
newnan , Georgia
I too have a Sovereign that I am renovating, 1971 31'. Welcome!
nurse222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar2879 View Post
HI. My name is Karen and I purchased a 1967 Overlander back in December. It needs a ton of work, including an entire gut of the inside. (There were rats' nest under cabinets, oven, etc.) I covered it for the winter with a blue plastic tarp held on by bungie cords hooked on the bumper. When I took off the tarp, there are black slash marks where the winds whipped the tarp on one side. The marks are not from the bungie cords because those are on the bottom. I can't get the black marks off. Any ideas? Thanks!
Welcome to airforums.com! How about posting some photos of your new baby...?

This comes up fairly frequently, the winter tarp marks, and usually when it does, the recommendation is to polish it out.

Read through the "Exterior Restoration Forum" though, it has a couple of sub-forums about "Cleaning, Stripping, & Polishing" and "Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim".

You may need to determine whether you still have clear coat on your trailer, and if so, does it need to come off to get rid of the marks...

Tags