Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #1

2022 20' Basecamp
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
New Basecamp 20x Owners

Hi,
My wife and I ordered a 20x back in July and it’s expected next month so we’re pretty excited!
We intend to base her in Western NC in spring and summer and Florida in the winter, for now.
I’ve lived on various boats but I’m new to camping and towing and really looking forward to getting going.
TomHout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to these Airstream Forums. I'm afraid I know little about the Basecamp. But these Forums have all kinds of information about them. I guess I should study up.

Congratulations and enjoy the adventures.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
TomHout,
Congratulations on the new trailer, and the new lifestyle! Your experience on the boats will serve you well, but trailering will involve bringing "stuff" along to take advantage of all the land based recreational opportunities. You'll become well versed in space management and staying within tow limits. (loads of background on this forum, npi)
We follow a similar schedule. I don't know how far west in NC you have your base, but I can say, ignore any GPS route that takes you close to Atlanta. Georgia has a lot of great state park campgrounds, so we drive the two lanes, and always stay overnight here and there enroute between bases. Just follow the speed limit to avoid meeting new people with wide brim hats.
So if you see an old guy with a red head copilot and a 23FB, look for a friendly wave! (But don't be offended if I'm paying attention to the traffic instead.)
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Congrats. That’s quick delivery of your trailer. And I’m a little jealous of your Basecamp. That was our first choice of camper.

Agree with GetawA-S, ignore the GPS around Atlanta (and most major cities). Plenty of two- and four-lane highways that avoid those old snaking interstate routes through urban areas. I load the ultimate destination in the truck’s nav. A day or ten before travel day I plan the route to avoid known gnarly construction and most interstate driving. I use Google satellite view to avoid narrow roads. Plug multiple stops into Google maps but cancel them as we near the stop so it doesn’t take me to the center of the town. Sometimes your GPS will direct you to take this narrow gravel road to save two minutes. No thanks.

We’re new, too. Indian Springs, GA is a nice, spacious park. Stop at Top of Georgia Airstream-only park. Helen, GA is just a few miles away. Nearby Anna Ruby Falls is beautiful. Unicoi campground is near there, too.

The Tennessee state parks are great. We’ve stayed at only four but have been pleased with them: Cedars of Lebanon, Tims Ford, Chickasaw, and Cumberland Mountain. Chickasaw has good hiking but only a couple of decent sites. CM has four or so campgrounds. Stay away from the first one on the right; it’s tight. Great hiking especially with the fall colors. CoL has a full hookups area that we avoid but the other two campgrounds are nice. Tims Ford has the Jack Daniels distillery a few miles away. The tour and tastings are very nicely done. Other TN parks have been recommended to us. We travel from central Texas to Peachtree City, GA quite a bit to visit grandchildren (and their parents). Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee parks are our stopovers for three or four nights each. Occasionally we’ll do a Harvests Hosts one-nighter.

Happy travels.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats and enjoy. A popular unit.