Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
New AS Owner, '07 Classic 30' SO

Greetings from SC. We have done a lot of tent camping, but got to thinking about expanding our possibilities. Found this one, or should I say it follwed me home. We liked the condition and layout and the bit of extra space the slide offered.

I have lots to learn about RV camping, looks like we will start with shakedowns in the back yard as seen here, then hit the nearby State parks.

I have been watching the Airforum for a few months, lots of info here.

Looking forward to the road ahead.

If you didn't notice, I like the Dodge Diesels with "Handshakers".

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Base.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	93528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	93529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	93530  
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
GCinSC,
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Airstream. She's a beauty.

BCinSC
Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
welcome gary!!
i have the sister to your model and i love the size.
i know you will too!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Nice, very nice... 30 slide is the best Airstream ever designed- functionally and aesthetically... there was a thread recently affirming that. Plus, it's a collectors edition.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
_

. , .
welcome to the stream clan gary.

good looking unit and part of a growing group of sliders here.

it looks like the stabilizer jacks are NOT down in your 2nd photo with the slide OUT ??

maybe i just can't see them and you know this already, but...

the slide goes out only AFTER stabilizers are down...

or there will be problems.

have fun camping in the yard...

that's a great looking spot.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
looks like it slid on over to you ;0) Congrats!

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
To All,

Thanks for the kind comments.

finalcutjoe, I didn't know the 75th Anniversary logo made it a collectors edition, that's neet.

2airishuman, I suppose the DEALER show be ashamed of the middle picture, slide out and jacks up, That was on their lot! The first picture is in my backyard, truck still hooked up, slide in, jacks up, just admiring the view. I have a "camp spot" in the back yard. We have had 25-30 or so neighbors over for planned get togethers and campfire, BS sessions and we even had a backyard movie night.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
it looks like the stabilizer jacks are NOT down in your 2nd photo with the slide OUT ??
Colonial in NJ has a 30SO 4sale with pictures showing the slide OUT and the stabs UP.... I think they might need a refresher course from the A/S technical rep...

GC- I was told by those in the know, they stopped producing the 30SO...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Congrats on the Classic S/O and welcome to the team! Your going to love that heavy beast and your 5.0 Cummins will be happy to drag it around for you. Lots of info here to help you get up to speed along with some great folks that share the same passion.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
finalcutjoe,

I saw their ad, it seems like a very close cousin to mine. Don't know about the ins and outs yet, we have joked about this for several years, I finally put the better half into a well, lets do it and just get started mode.

Yup, I have lots to learn, I freely admit that, I'm pretty handy with tools, most electrical issues, plumbing and a darn good open fire cook, specializing in cast iron meals and monster breakfasts. My Lodge collection is very suited to the tasks including the discontinued 20" two handle skillet and several Camp Dutch Ovens. If you see this rig at a SC state park and it is AM, the fire should be going and if I have any hopes of a crowd, I'll have my 11qt. Wear-Ever Aluminum coffee boiler going on the grate over the coals, stop in for a cup and a chat.

Vinnie,
The Cummins has been waiting for something to exercise its connecting rods on and this is it. Not the heaviest rig I have ever captained, but I own this one. I was quite pleased with how it got the rig up to cruise w/o much effort, but you could see a difference in the EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperature for the non-diesel crowd) and Turbo Boost gages while cruising. I weighed the rig on a CAT scale, gross wt. 15,700Lbs.

I have played with my Cummins a little bit, but tugging this rig will only use the stock power levels, it ain't a race.

It came with an Equal-I-Zer hitch, squeaks while manuvering, but sat pretty level, I will most likely start over with the hitch hook up now that I downloaded the 28 page manual. They missed one or two procedures and the ball height is supposed to be a bit higher than it's lighter Brothers acording to AS information. I just need to review it.

Chance we might test it in the backyard this weekend, lows might be in the 20's.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
GCinSC

Your cummins is going to know its back there but wont break a sweat. I had a 92' 3/4 with a cummins and that motor was amazing. Towing my slideout with the Ol Ford truck keeps me in the far right lane on those long hills but we always make it!
I removed my overload springs as the airstream tongue weight wanted to bring it right down and touch those rubber mounts. There are many threads here on this very topic so I wont bore you. Keep in mind (atleast with mine) these classic slideouts dont allow for very much cargo weight. I think its about 300 lbs with tanks full. Make sure momma gets that memo! LOL.

Give us the update after the big weekend...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Welcome aboard!

You're going to love that rig! My 33' Argosy is almost perfect. I just wish the L/R had a slide to open it up. I pull mine with a Cummins. It's amazing how well it walks it over the hills! Mine is a 99 w/ the 4 speed auto, 4.10 gears. I get right about 12.2 - 12.5 MPG pulling mine, running 65 - 70 MPH. You should get better w/ the manual trans. Keep us updated Tony
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Beautiful rig. I visit Irmo/Lexington several times a year. My son in law works for Mashburn Con. The AS dealer in Columbia, appears to be reliable, etc. Have only purchased items; but the dealership appears to be competent/well organized. We love our unit. My only problem is keeping the soot cleaned out of my 2007 Meg 6.7L CTD. Have learned to drive like a NASCAR competitor;it works(EB on full time). The 5.9 is great. Don,t trade unless you really have to.Regards Mel
woppa 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe [COLOR=#22229c
Bustamante[/COLOR];790751]Colonial in NJ has a 30SO 4sale with pictures showing the slide OUT and the stabs UP.... I think they might need a refresher course from the A/S technical rep...

GC- I was told by those in the know, they stopped producing the 30SO...
Hello FinalcutJoe,

We are well aware that the jacks need to be down before pulling the slide out when camping and setting up the trailer. Our slide was just brought out for a short time so the photos can be taken.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
1st Weekend Backyard Outing

SC has been shivering with the cold spell over the SE and we chose this weekend to try it out. Nighttime highs about 20 degrees.

We fired it up and watched movies on the built in sytem, the front couch was in a perfect spot for the sound system, really nice. Electric coffee pot in tha AM. We spent some of Saturday loading up the kitchen, but we did not leave any food in it. Saturday evening a couple of steaks, veggies and more movies.

A very nice start, we are both impressed.

Here are the topics from our cold weather start.

1. Windows needed adjustment to pinch the seal.
2. Sat. added a double row of std. pink paper backed insulation at the back of the rear storage box. I could lift the bed and see into the storage area, that is/was un-insulated.
3. Fan-Fan cover was not cinched down all the way, saw some condensate drip.
4. Darn birds like to peck the window reflection. They should have learned from the pesky male cardinal that wouldn't back off a couple of years ago on the house.
5. Furnace worked pretty good. Suprized as to how much propane we used, but it was 20-40 degrees, ran it since Friday AM.
6. I would like to know what suggestions the AS crowd has for adding insulation to the various vents, fans and skylights, heat rises and a thin layer of plastic doesn't stop it.

Overall a very positive start, we still have a lot of systems that we haven't tested. This was a dry run.

I didn't figure out where to post a first run, so I just tacked it on here.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Huntersville , North Carolina
Hello SC!

Hello, and welcome aboard! I'm new here too, still on the hunt for a trailer, might have found one. Looks like you've got yourself a nice AS! Can't believe you were out in that freezing weather- it's amazing how cold it's gotten down here! I was in MI a couple weeks ago, and even though the temps are about the same, it feels so much colder here! Just thought I'd say a friendly hello from just N. of Charlotte!
ashbongo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We love our slide out and although the dealer commented here that they only extended the slide for a short time for a picture, to be on the safe side the stabilizers should have been down. It's not got anything to do with the length of time the slide is extended. The reasoning is the slide can torque the frame which could allow for the slide to get mis-aligned. The first words that my dealer said to me on delivery day was do not move the slide unit in or out without the stabilizers down. I've lived by that, and my slide has performed flawlessly.

The only caution I can give you is that when in wind driven rain when the slide is extended, water can get under the protective awning and collect and sit on top of the slide roof. You won't find out until you retract the slide and notice that water starts to come inside as the slide moves inward. It's not a lot, and from my experience is a rare occasion. I carry a long handled squeegee which I use to pull the water off (if present), if I'm departing after a windblown rainstorm.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC View Post
5. Furnace worked pretty good. Suprized as to how much propane we used, but it was 20-40 degrees, ran it since Friday AM.
6. I would like to know what suggestions the AS crowd has for adding insulation to the various vents, fans and skylights, heat rises and a thin layer of plastic doesn't stop it.

Overall a very positive start, we still have a lot of systems that we haven't tested. This was a dry run.

I didn't figure out where to post a first run, so I just tacked it on here.
Yes it will use a lot. I camped in Springfield Il. a few Octobers ago and it was a raw cold cloudy fall weekend. Temps were in the mid 30's and while it never got below freezing, it was too cold for the heat pump so the furnace ran. Bottom line we pretty much exhausted one of the 30 lb. tanks in that 3 day weekend. Glad I had two full tanks.

Keep in mind that if your trailer is like mine, you have an electric element that will heat your hot water. When we have electrical hookups we run the water heater on electric. We only turn on the gas switch when we take showers. That allows much quicker tank recovery since both heat sources are working together to keep that water hot. This will save you a lot of gas.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
10 degree (without windchill) new years camping, we used a full 30# tank over 3 days... I figured that was only because DW wanted it a toasty 75F during the day... I also had some light dripping from the front fan-fan, but it appeared to be condensation

There was another thread about insulating the underside of the bed platform... I think for ours, insulating the trunk door is more effective... mine iced up pretty good

The only ongoing 'issue' for me is adequate foundation under the stabilizers... having asphalt pad, or even hard packed gravel works great... but it only takes a little bit of settling to 'rack' the frame enough to make opening/closing door difficult... I can reduce settling with 2x8's... but real soft ground (heavy rains) gets problematic
Is this a problem for others?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Jack,

So far the slide function has worked very well, but I do not have a comparison AS as a guide. And I will run stabs 1st then slide, I promise.

If I were to guess, I ran about 3/4 of a 40lb tank for this adventure. Next weekend, well, I don't know, but it is going to warm up into the 50's.

finalcutjoe,

Do you have a description or picture of your door insulation method? I know I improved it, but on the side of the head of the bed, the little narrw shelf area, it still felt pretty chilly.

I'm sitting on sandy dirt and I put almost a square foot 2X under the stab pads, but I'll check the pressure on them today, certainly could have settled. I plan on reworking my pad spot, upgrading the tire areas, leveling it a bit more.

Looking forward to a campfire based weekend with the AS.

Finally figured out the "double" step, tricky!

Jack, my 5th wheel neighbor came over and one of his first checks was the HWT breaker, made sure it was off. When we hook up water, we'll test the H2O sides of the systems.

ashbongo10, thanks. You'll enjoy it when you find it. If you are still looking, PM me and I can tell you a bit about what I found here in SC, depends on what you are looking for.

Best regards,

Gary