Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Everett , Ontario
New arrival, 1955 Overland

Hello everyone,
I have just joined this group and I'm having a great time navigating through all the discussions. I just bought the '55 pictured and had it delivered from Nova Scotia to Ontario. It definitely needs a complete restoration and I'm excited to get started. The video is extremely short!
Attached Files
Warren Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
Hey Warren, I am in NS and just rejoined this group and have to let you know , I was actually stalking that trailer you bought and had the guy buying my food trailer came through, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. The 55 is a beautiful shell. I just brought home my 1966 Tradewind "The Snailer". Looking forward to your future posts on that beauty. All the best with the rebuild
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
Small world

That is really quite a coincidence. I struggled buying it since it couldn't see it first hand. I prepared for the worst and have been plsently surprised. It is still miles from being fit, so I hope I a, up to the challenge.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
I never saw it in person either Warren, didn't want to get my hopes up until the cash came in. Not very often you get a chance at a 55 in Canada. The shell looked pretty good in the pictures. If I can get the site to upload a picture I will put one up of mine, no luck yet just says upload failed, Learning curve I guess. All the best with the project
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
I had problems with uploading as well. I think my picture was too large, so I cropped it. I would like to see what you have.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
I`ll work on it, no luck yet, try my other camera for smaller files maybe
Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome William Perry and congratulation on your acquisition of a 55 Airstream. I wonder if it is a "whale tail" rear end cap. I think those are really neat. I think you have a new record for the shortest video on Air Forums.

And snailer, I see you have a 66 Trade Wind like mine. I've been renovating mine for the last two years, mainly working on it during the winter months. We took it out for the first time about two weeks ago from Minnesota to Colorado. It made it just fine and everything worked and held together. I still have many things to do to it, but the bulk of the work is done.

I believe Air Foums resizes photos automatically. The photo I posted below was a 3 meg file and now it is a 300k file It is a .jpg file. I think it takes a special app to post i-phone photos.

Enjoy Air Forums where all things Airstream are explored in detail. I've learned a lot from the good folks on these Forums.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	247065  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
Nice trailer! I have been wanting rims like yours for a long time. Where would I start looking? I have a 1972 ambassador 28'.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
Thanks for the welcome. It has the 13 panel end, so not the whale tail. You are likely right about the picture as I tried to upload from a ipad.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
Sorry, I forgot to add that how nice your trailer looks - Warren.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks Warren, it looks better in the photo than in person. My interior is mostly original except for the bath and floor covering. It does have new appliances. Some folks have done excellent work finishing the interior of their trailers exactly the way they want.

Minnstream, the aluminum rims on my Trade Wind came from my 86 Limited. This style rim was common on Airstreams back then. I upgraded to 16 inchers on the Limited, so I put the old 15 inchers on the Trade Wind. I prefered the aluminum wheels to the original stamped steel rims the trailer came with. Many folks prefer the vintage look of the steel wheels and hub caps.

I hope Warren posts some pics of his 55 as found soon. It would be fun to see it. Sounds like the shell is in good shape. To me, a good shell is worth $5000 because that is what I paid. The shell is the hardest, most expensive thing to repair and the Airstream shell lasts and lasts. The rest of the trailer not so much.

I'm envious of your 55 project trailer and all the hours of fun you will have renovating it, either as original as possible, or with more modern features. It will be a unique camper. You'll need a 55 Chevy Nomad to pull it with.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Fridge Installed.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	247136  
Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 AM   #12
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
David that trailer is drop dead gorgeous , I should put it on my fridge for inspiration. I will probably be asking you a lot of advice, nice to have someone with the same model & year.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You're too kind. But I appreciate the compliment. It is just average at best. I figure I have over 1000 hours in it, so I know it pretty good.

You may have found the Airstream Knowledge Base on the front page of the Forums. It is toward the bottom of the page. There you will find Airstream trailers listed, and find Tradewind. Click on that and find the year range for our trailers. Forum members tend to focus on that year and model of trailer there, including "blogs" describing their renovation efforts. I have read several threads describing Forum members complete rebuilds of mid sixties Trade Winds.

It's fun to help others with advice on their projects. So you might start a thread called something like Snailers Trade Wind Project and start describing the teardown and rebuild of your trailer. You will likely attract several Trade Wind enthusiasts who will follow along and help out with "free" advice. Always remember you have no one to please but yourself with your project. Your trailer, your rules.

But Warren doesn't want to talk Trade Winds, he is an excited new 55 Overlander owner which is a whole different animal. Airstreams were built very light way back then so they could be towed with the family car. Light weight with many less amenities than later year trailers. Warren, you might enjoy reading some of Melody Ranch threads. He is an expert on 50s Airstreams and has rebuilt several of them. They are beautiful.

David
Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #14
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Thumbs up

Thanks David, average in the states is exceptional in NS
Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I don't know about that. My grandfather was from Nova Scotia and we was exceptional here in the US as well as there in the NS. So I have ties to your lovely coast line.

David
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
thanks David, I will definitely look them up.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
You'll Never Walk Alone

Kelowna , British Columbia
Hey Warren,
I had replied to the message you sent me and it seemed like it didn't send so I kept replying so if you get a million replies I apologize.
Congrats on your Airstream purchase.
And I love the video. There might be one frame to pause on in that video but be assured most people on here will tell you a ton based upon that one frame. HA! It is being analyzed as we speak by a team of highly trained nonprofessionals.
I have the identical trailer as yours but in saying that there are variations in styling in trailers from same year. Not sure if yours is a single or double axle. Mine is a single and I think after 55 they changed to double. Ya a 26' Overlander with a single axle.
It can be fun to look around inside old trailers and see what has slid under a stove or between a cabinet and wall. I found many hints as to where mine had been. A 1966 mechanic's business card from Pasadena California. A toy bow and arrow set still in box accidentally shoved way back in a storage area. A semi rare solid silver dime from early sixties worth $6- and a 12v light bulb from Mexico.
After researching the almost faded Wally Byam Caravan numbers (824) on the front and back I discovered my trailer was owned by an Ontario couple that took it to Mexico via California on the 1959 Mexico Caravan tour. Their running light must have got busted off and they replaced it in Mexico hence the Mexican made bulb.
So keep a sharp eye for clues as you dismantle because there should be hints as to its history.
Oh another thing is I kept everything from the interior until I was completely sure I would not need it. Old walls will be your future templates for new ones.

Enjoy

Tags