Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
New and Need Help! 74 Overlander

Hello from Savannah, GA!

My hubby and I are currently in search of the right Airstream for us. We have stumbled upon two 1974 Overlanders; one that seems to be in good shape inside and out and the other fairly good on the outside but definite work on the inside.

Our goal with the Overlander is to create a space that is functional for us and our two labs. I am a photographer and graphic designer and my husband is a filmmaker, so we would like to add a modern spin to the interior. We plan on full-timing for a couple of years.

With this in mind, would it be better and more cost efficient in the long run to purchase the one that is in good shape all around at a higher price or the other at a lower price?

We have read several threads on the rear baths and separation and would like to move the bath to the center (this would also allow for the bedroom to be in the rear, which I prefer). Any suggestions on this as well would be greatly appreciated!

There is a airstream, vintage travel trailer place in South Carolina that we would like to do the work but after three phone calls and no return calls we are giving up that for now and hoping to find answers here.

We are completely new to this so suggestions and reality checks are welcomed.

The nicer one: 6500 price negotiable.-current owner has had the rv dealership look over and all systems seem to be running fine.
The ok one: 3500 price negotiable.-systems have not been checked out.

We have the buyer's checklist in hand when we go to inspect them next weekend.

Future Streamers, Neil and Shelly
snshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
We really like this one! It is the floor plan we desire and the vintage stove and fridge are a plus. We are just scared of the dents! What are your thoughts?

1953 Romany Cruiser w/original interior - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale
Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You pay for what you get...Don't be afraid or un certain to take that plunge! Get the one that is in pretty good condition...it will fold out as being worthwhile as time goes by. Have fun when you get it!
By the way here's a link that will take you around all the insides of these pieces of art...
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...4febdf7c99.pdf it will start out on MY page...but if you browse around the site I bet you will find info on yours too.! Good Luck folks!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Thanks Redhawker! We are leaning towards the better one because we can at least live in it right now and the owner has been very forthcoming.

The link is very helpful!

Also, I checked out your website. The Dr. Pepper Mural is my favorite piece! They are all beautiful.

Shelly
Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New and Need Help! 74 Overlander

Greetings Neil and Shelly!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snshort View Post
We have read several threads on the rear baths and separation and would like to move the bath to the center (this would also allow for the bedroom to be in the rear, which I prefer). Any suggestions on this as well would be greatly appreciated!

Future Streamers, Neil and Shelly
If you are determined to have the mid-bath layout, it will be far more cost effective to hold out for one of the mid-1970s era mid-bath coaches. They weren't made in the Overlander series, but were becoming more common in the Sovereign models (30' or 31'). The Argosy coaches were also available with the rear bedroom and mid-bath layout - - 30' model - - and they were readily identified by the full-width rear window with the deep wrap wing windows.

In an Overlander, there would be a tremendous amount of rebuilding necessary to move the bath forward and the bedroom rearward. You may also find that windows are in the path of bulkheads that you would need to separate the rear bedroom from the bathroom.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
They both will end up costing too much, but the better one will probably be less work time, but maybe not. How is the floor? The frame? The tanks? The axles? Are the awnings on it? Does the refrigerator cool to 37 degrees on gas and electric? Get good answers to all those or maybe pass.

The drapes, and carpet, and even the window and door gaskets are minor in time and money, compared to the frame and floor. A short list of major things will cost a year's work and five grand or a lot more in a heartbeat.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Photos of the better one.

Here are some photos of the better one.

Shelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02513.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	109101   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02515.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	109102  

Name:	DSC02499.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	109103   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02511.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	109104  

Name:	DSC02512.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	109105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02510.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	109106  

Name:	DSC02501.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	109107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02502.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	109108  

Name:	DSC02519.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	109109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02518.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	109110  

Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Photos of the other

This is the one for 3500.00
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1974 Airstream.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	109111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft view.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	109112  

Name:	Rear view.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	109113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0917.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	109114  

Name:	DSCF0918.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	109115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0919.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	109116  

Name:	DSCF0920.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	109117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0929.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	109118  

Name:	DSCF0926.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	109119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0924.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	109120  

Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I'd go with the better one if the price diff. is not too great. The cheaper on will need lots of work. That means lots of time if you do it or lots and lots of money if someone else does. The time factor should be a serious consideration. Restoration work, thought not rocket science, take a lot of time even if you have the personal skill set and the place and equipment to do it. Also, you will spend a lot more money than you think, trust me on that. Even with the better trailer, you will most likely need axles and for sure tires all around. Count on some appliances not working or not working for long. As for trying to move the bath, Overlander64 is right. Just find a mid bath.
Good luck. You might check here on the forums for someone who lives close that will look at the trailer with you. You can find the link on the right side of the forum home page.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Oh, I forgot . . . check the air conditioner. That's a grand to replace.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Thank you so much for all the help. We will definitely look at having an inspector meet us.

What about price? We have looked at the guides and are not sure how to truly classify it without actually seeing it in person. Should we go with two different figures? One for average condition and one for below average? What you would pay for it?

Also, we have found this 13 panel on the classified forum and wondered if this might be something to consider. Any thoughts would be great.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
x

XXXX , XXXX
Good VS Bad

I acn see from the pics that the axles seem good on the better trailer and definately need replacing on the cheaper one. Two axles will run you $1500. If you replace the rusted out fridge in the cheaper trailer which looks very rusted and may not work this will cost you another $1500. So there's your $3000 difference right there. If I was looking to buy I would but the better one. I hope this helps.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by snshort View Post
With this in mind, would it be better and more cost efficient in the long run to purchase the one that is in good shape all around at a higher price or the other at a lower price?
Go for the nicer one. A lot of the Tambour needs replaced, but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Make sure the tanks don't leak and as for rear end separation, that is less of a problem for the shorter Airstreams like the Overlander, but very common on the 31' models. Make sure the floor is solid throughout and that all systems/appliances have been checked out. If everything looks good I'd offer him 5500-6000.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'd take the worst one for free as a parts trailer, but I wouldn't pay for it. The better one might be fine if you want a rear bath trailer. I've bought things I liked for a lot too much $ and years later I don't remember what I paid. My Airstream does not fit in that category.

Worth is often measured by what somebody else would pay for the same item. That's a merchant's measure also known as "market value". What I pay for something often has a premium on the "market value". That premium is called "opportunity cost". In a free market, there's going to be an opportunity cost for about any valued, unique item. That opportunity cost is a cost that I won't plan to recover when I sell.

The ability to pay more opportunity cost for an item is a benefit of having more $ than other buyers. My experience in shopping for an Airstream trailer would be to plan on doubling the price paid in repairs and deferred maintenance. LOTS more if the labor is hired done. Buying a used trailer is a bit like going to Vegas, laying down yer money and hoping ya get lucky because there's so much that could be wrong that ya can't see.

Gary
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
We are going to look at the better one this weekend for sure (with the checklist). The post had been up for a couple of weeks and he said several people had looked at it but no takers.
Working as a Real Estate coordinator while in college, I completely get the "market value". Our motto was a house is worth what a buyer will pay for it. So after several showings and no offers it was time to reduce the price. The opportunity cost is definitely a factor and I hope that we get a reasonable deal. We are willing to put the effort and money into the trailer to make it ours and at the end of the day this is the goal. We are so glad to have you guys to learn from! I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Any thoughts on that 13 panel?

Neil and Shelly
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
If you are going to move the bath to the mid part of your rig you are going to be tearing it apart. It all depends how serious you are about that. Here is a great thred on that: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-49720.html
I am in the beginning stages of a complete renno. Make sure all of the systems are in place and that the running gear are in place (axles, wheels). They are the cause of a lot of damage to your rig. If I were going to move the bath I would be looking for a PROJECT! Dont pay more than $3000 on something like that. Oh and plan on spending a lot of time on these forums they will be your best friend. Good Luck! Welcome!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
We purchased the better one!

Hi everyone.

Neil and I went up to Bogart, GA to check out the 74 Overlander (the better one). It was everything the PO said it was, no surprises. We settled on 5500 and drove away with our new AS!!!

The rear bath was better than I expected...roomy! We are very happy with our purchase and are learning the ropes this week!

The forum has been a great help! We will be regulars for sure!

We can't wait to get it on the road and meet everyone.

Shelly
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I liked the pictures of that one. If it's as decent as it looks I bet you'll be happy with it. Best of luck.

Gary