Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
New Airstream Fan

After riding for 25 years, wife and I are looking for a "new life" after a bad accident on Harley Davidson motorcycle. We have started looking at trailers and love Airstream look and design. Looking forward to our first purchase and joining the family of Airstreamers out there. Weather is getting warmer and just cant wait much longer....
airboy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I think you've got the "Airstream Fever" and not just the warmer weather!

Sorry to hear about your accident, and hope you will be OK!

Decide what you want to do with your AS, then decide on the size you need and layout, then weather it's a vintage or late model, then choose your tow vehicle.

Good luck in finding what's right for you.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you. We are looking for 19-23ft, not new but late model. Not much in our area so will have to look around abit to find the right one.
airboy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Welcome. I made a similar transition, although thankfully before an accident. I found it less and less enjoyable dodging the people with heads buried in gadgets being oblivious to me on two wheels. Extensive rider training saved me a few times, but it wasn't as much fun for us after a while.

It took me some time to find the Airstream project that fit for us but in time it turned up. Stick with it. Classifieds here, ebay, RVT, craigslist (where mine turned up) and local dealers can all be good sources - keep up with each and you'll find something soon.

I've already found the Airstream community much like the riders and meets I enjoyed so much - and our rig isn't ready for use yet! (I'm doing a large refurb). I'll bet you'll find the same.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Airboy 2, I looked for 1/2 year all over, as wworx stated, and finally found my 2008 in New Jersey. We went see it then had a transrporter haul it back for us. The cheapest way at the time and was leary about my 1st pull being over 1600 miles and during December, was the way to go for us. Keep searching and good luck.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboy 2 View Post
Thank you. We are looking for 19-23ft, not new but late model. Not much in our area so will have to look around abit to find the right one.
You might find quite a few Airstreams once you start looking. Quite a few people retire in RV's, then health changes or life ends and the RV has to be sold. Look in the Phoenix area especially. Check with campgrounds, and heck, look at our own "Classifieds" pages.

Craigslist is also a good place to shop. BTW, find a rally in your area - even if you don't have an Airstream you could go and get a chance to peek at several models and layouts to find what really suits you best. You can only do so much imagining with the Airstream website. Real world is vastly different.

Paula.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
I suggest you widen your "search" area to about a days drive. There's an Airstream dealer in Tucson which is an easy day's drive. There's bound to be one out there somewhere for you. Best of luck.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to airforums.com, airboy 2! This is THE place to ask any and all questions concerning Airstreams, their care and feeding.

My I respectfully submit that, while the 22 and 23-foot trailers are very worthy units, it is surprising how many people buy smaller ones, and within a year or two, want to move up to larger ones.

Do whatever you can to actually spend a bit of time in several different sizes of trailers. You may be surprised how quickly what you originally thought was quite large becomes comfortably smaller in an amazingly short period of time...

Have fun looking, and take your time!