Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Bradenton , Florida
Thumbs up New Airstream Arrived

This is my first post as an Airstream owner. I have been watching the site for a while in anticipation of this event.

We took delivery of our Flying Cloud 27FB Twin on Sept. 29th and took our shakedown cruise on Oct 2nd - 4th to Salida, CO. We were very interested to see how the trailer works as we are downsizing from a 36' 5'ver with 4 slides. Needless to say we had to weed through a bunch of junk we were carrying around.

The pull went well, the trailer worked well...we are very pleased with the trailer. There is more than enough room for us to dance around each other. Our impression is that there is plenty of storage and the key is efficient use of that storage. We have had several lively debates of where to put things and how to organize. I must admit , I lost every debate when it comes to the galley! What a surprise. (All of you that have been married 30+ years know what I mean)

Anyway, now starts the adventure of going to every National Park we can get it to! Wish us luck and I look forward to picking some brains about the trailer.
wwhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Welcome to the forums and Airstreams!

We just came back from a two month trip and, once again, are taking things out of the trailer that we don't need. We find there is plenty of storage for stuff you actually need, and then some.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good luck! Less is more! Have fun and post lots of pics!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome & congrats on your purchase ! National Parks are a great way to use your Airstream, we enjoy them all. . . regards, Craig
Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome from Longmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhendr View Post
This is my first post as an Airstream owner. I have been watching the site for a while in anticipation of this event.

We took delivery of our Flying Cloud 27FB Twin on Sept. 29th and took our shakedown cruise on Oct 2nd - 4th to Salida, CO. We were very interested to see how the trailer works as we are downsizing from a 36' 5'ver with 4 slides. Needless to say we had to weed through a bunch of junk we were carrying around.

The pull went well, the trailer worked well...we are very pleased with the trailer. There is more than enough room for us to dance around each other. Our impression is that there is plenty of storage and the key is efficient use of that storage. We have had several lively debates of where to put things and how to organize. I must admit , I lost every debate when it comes to the galley! What a surprise. (All of you that have been married 30+ years know what I mean)

Anyway, now starts the adventure of going to every National Park we can get it to! Wish us luck and I look forward to picking some brains about the trailer.
Welcome from another Longmonter! We've had a Flying Cloud 25FB Twin for two and a half years.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
More fun is in store! Please check out www.wbcci.org to find great people nearby, who can offer their experience doing what you are doing. 5809 is looking forward to seeing you down the road!

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Congratulations on your new AS. One of the reasons that we're downsizing is for more flexibility in choosing campgrounds. Our maiden voyage will be to Florida in Janurary.
Good luck.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
How is towing your Airstream compared to the 36' 5er? Your tow vehicle must feel like its got a new lease on life.

Kelvin
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How is towing your Airstream compared to the 36' 5er? Your tow vehicle must feel like its got a new lease on life.

Kelvin
Pulled the 5ver with a one ton dually, 2 wheel drive. Since we relocated to Colorado and have acquired a much smaller trailer, that was the wrong truck. Now have a Ram 1500 4wd that pulls it just fine. Managed to get almost 14mpg pulling through the Colorado mountains (per the computer) which I am not going to complain about.

The tow experience is a bit different but all in all quite good. I have a Blue Ox hitch and that keeps the trailer under control.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome from Arvada
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhendr View Post

Welcome, from another new Airstreamer. We took delivery of our new Classic the end of August and left the next week on a month long 5000 mile trip out West. Mostly trouble free. We are going out again tomorrow for a four day weekend. Like you, we downsized from a 37 footer with three slides. You definetly have to make some adjustments, but it has been worth it. We love ours and I hope you will too. You will find that there are many knowledgeable people on this forum. If you have a question, just ask them.