Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

1972 25' Tradewind
houston , Texas
"new" 1972 tradewind--bar?

hey all--just bought a 72 tradewind.--my first airstream or trailer. pretty good shape--dirty--but everything is more or less functional.

i have two ideas what to do with it. one is to just clean, buff and paint as necessary, then kinda "moroccan tent" it out--keep everything more or less in place but use lots of indian print fabrics, curtains, throws, pillows everywhere, oriental style rugs, maybe some new granite countertops, build a small bar where the (bad) heater is under the sink. replace the lights with "moroccan " ones. good sound system. this is the easy plan

the other plan is more elaborate--and probably stupider. i have a nightclub background and live in a resort/tourist town(galveston tx) lots of parties, parades, etc. thinking about gutting everything except the bathroom. build an actual bar with bar stools or high benches. make more or less a commercial bar. even thinking about putting long, 2' wide removable "running boards" on both sides so we can pull it in parades and have people stand out there and throw beads, etc. hang removable banners outside etc.

my first layouts don't give me enough room for the second plan--and i would like to have a way to put in at least one convertible double bed in there--but cant figure that out either.

paid only $2000--good deal, right?

will a 6 cylinder explorer pull it? at highway speeds? parade speeds?

anyone have any thoughts?

thanks!!
scott21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
First welcome to the forums. Second, don't think you will find much support here for
gutting a nice vintage Airstream. Polish, fabric and cleaning sounds like a great idea, granite does not unless maybe you use granite tiles or the thin veneers like is used in the yachting industry. Why make it heavier than you have to? Finally, check the specs for the Explorer and weigh the trailer at a local truck stop. That is how you know what you have and can make informed decisions. At best I would think that a 6 cylinder would be marginal. I tow my 68 Trade Wind which weighs 4200 with a 2001 Tundra and a V-8, I would not consider towing it with anything less.

Finally, what ever time you think you will need to refurb the trailer you can multiply by 4 and double the amount of money. That should put you in the ball park.
Good luck.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Since its a formica interior not the earlier years wood interior there's not much 'vintage' value unless its sentimental value or a perfectly stored and maintained museum piece... You could get tarred and feathered around here for wrecking a couple year earlier trailer that had the hardwood teak etc veneers though...

If its useable as is then think OUTDOOR screen room and/or tiki bar with some plush sofa and chair action inside as the crowd thins?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Hey Scott,

It's nice to see another new and excited Tradewinder. I just got my Tradewind a couple of months ago and am working on my renovation.

I have to agree with some of the other comments. I'd have a hard time doing a serious unconventional renovation. But I can see what you're thinking, and it could be pretty slick. If it'd make you happy, go for it. You'd have to be very committed to it, because if you started, and didn't finish, the trailer wouldn't be worth much. If you opened up the sides for a bar, I'd have to wonder about the structural integrity of the camper. You'd have to reinforce the walls significantly, and that might be tough. Granite counter tops would be very heavy, and would probably crack as the trailer moved.

Good luck. It'll be interesting to see how you progress.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.

Second idea.....Not so good. Very little to securely attach any load bearing “Running Boards” to and the wet bath, in retrospect, would be the first thing to remove. Major source of water intrusion due to the bumper cover design. Expect a soft floor.
I suppose you could construct a small bar. But with the inside being 88 inches wide, and with only one door, it will be a pretty cramped work space.
First idea is much better. Your call on the Tambour doors, if there're still there. I'm making my own to match the new hickory veneer plywood I'm rebuilding the cabinets with. Some buy new and try to make it fit and some make plain sliding or hinged doors.
Granite tops are great in your kitchen, not in a trailer intended to be pulled by a 4.0 liter(?) Explorer. Need to keep it as light as possible. Do you still have the lift up/pullout table by the front couch? IMHO 40 pounds of useless dead weight. I built a front dinette and eliminated 75 #s.
As far as the convertible double bed goes We have the Tradewind Double with the bed aft of the kitchen area. Shouldn't be to hard to re-arrange the bedroom if you have the twin setup.
So enjoy your new rig. Search the Forum and check out the mods of those who gone before and decide what will work best for you.

Good luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Scott

Welcome to the forum. I second Wabbiteer's comments.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

1972 25' Tradewind
houston , Texas
thanks for the comments--

yeah maybe the less drastic renovation. up and running faster. i think the fabric changeout, hang some pictures, throw some nice rugs down, clean and i'm up and running--not too expensive. i can always do more later if this works out ok. check out www.indiaarts.com for india style fabrics, spreads, throws, curtains etc. cheap/wholesale--but you need a sales tax number.

i'm thinking bamboo curtain rods painted gloss black. anybody have any idea what kind of bracket is good to hold the ends--and how/what to fasten to?

i do use the granite tiles--12"x24"X 3/8"--only about 20 sq ft max--so it will add about 100 lbs. i can actually cut two tiles to lay in the stove cover slot--its pretty nasty now and i think the tile will look nice--and good counter space--maybe trim out the counters with a piece of copper strip. if i can get some real thin copper maybe i can replace some of that cheesy trim in the bathrooms too--even maybe set it in the inset in the current plastic strip.

bleach and water to clean mildew and stains off the white vinyl walls? or 409?

maybe i can put a lip just under the inside top front of each twin bed and store a piece of 3/4" plywood under one cushion. then i can slide it out, rest it on the two lips, slide the other cushion across, and have a sort-of double bed. need some way to keep the mattresses together i guess.

wherer does everybody store lawn chairs and outside tables?
scott21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I tried everything, mixed up my own solvents and tried all the perfumery home depot isle cleansers - what finally just plain worked was concentrated Spic'n Span in hot water, stiff nylon bristle brush and then plain water rinsing with plenty of towels to blot up the mushroom soup as it comes off. However there is more hidden space surface area than you think is possible that also needs cleaning.... and that was the slippery slope that led me to a full shell off. Long story.