Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fair Play , Missouri
my tradewind is home!!!

Well, I've never done this before.....the computer thing AND the airstream thing. I have been working on fixing, cleaning, and trying to figure out my 68 tradewind. The wiring is sooooo wacky, with dozens of cut wires and additions here and there. I have it plugged into the house, do NOT have a battery, and the outlets work all of the time........the 12 volts work sometimes. They might work for 2 minutes or 2 hours and quit just as quickly as they came on. Any suggestions?????
I am a 68dreamer.
68dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Congrats

Congratulations! If you can get the answers anywhere, it's here. When you feel more comfortable with the computer, post pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dreamer
Well, I've never done this before.....the computer thing AND the airstream thing. I have been working on fixing, cleaning, and trying to figure out my 68 tradewind. The wiring is sooooo wacky, with dozens of cut wires and additions here and there. I have it plugged into the house, do NOT have a battery, and the outlets work all of the time........the 12 volts work sometimes. They might work for 2 minutes or 2 hours and quit just as quickly as they came on. Any suggestions?????
I am a 68dreamer.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sounds like a project to be sure! Welcome to the 68 trade wind club! I got mine two years ago and I never get tired of it. You are going to love yours. Post some pics, if you have trouble let me know and I will help you with it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi 68dreamer!
Welcome to the forums. I find it hard to believe that you do not have a battery AND the 12v lights work some of the time. The outlets should all be 120v and would work all the time the trailer is plugged in. Is there a narrow aluminum box on the front exterior of the trailer (above the tongue and propane tanks?) If so, have you looked in it? If you have one, that's the battery box and you may have a dead battery in there that is being charged a bit by a converter but just won't keep a charge. Otherwise, I'm stumped about the on and off 12v lights.
Enjoy the Airstream experience and I'll be watching this thread for the "experts" to post!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fair Play , Missouri
lights on? or off?

problem has not corrected itself.........but, that's pretty common for problems.
my battery belongs in the back, and there are cables, but no battery.
I finally got a door lock! WOW they are expensive.....sure looks better. I am remodeling the interior with a cowboy theme......with a splash of mules and donkeys....lots of leather, sheepskin rugs, spotted cow fabric, conchos...you get the idea. I don't know how to post pics.....but, I will look. Deb
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

It's not necessary to have a battery to operate the 12volt lights if the Univolt (or similar converter) is working and the trailer is connected to 120VAC. The converter supplies 12v to the system as well as charging the battery. If the 12v supply is intermittent, I suspect a bad converter, a short circuit, or faulty automatic circuit breaker. Look in the compartment behind the road side wheels. That's where the circuit breakers for the 12v system were placed on most Tradewind models in '68. You can test them with a voltmeter by "jumping" the circuit breaker. If you get a voltage reading of around 12v, the breaker is OK. However, if you have cut, hanging wires and previous modifications done by "electricians of unknown qualifications," you may want to check those out first. The '68 Airstreams also had aluminum wiring (instead of copper) that can crack and corrode around connections. Be careful when removing any old fixtures so as not to break the wire - very hard to pull enough slack out of the wall to re-attatch new fixtures! I've worked on several '68s with these problems and swore I'd never have one, but I have one now and really like it. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fair Play , Missouri
thanks for your response....I have alot to do yet. I suspect a short in the ceiling 12volt lights, as water has rusted some of them. HOW EASY IS IT TO GET SHOCKED? Deb
Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If a 12 volt battery fell against your skin with its weight pressing both (-) and (+) terminals against you you would not get shocked as such, if one really tried it would be just a little more tingle than licking a 9V transistor radio battery. However 12V can make heater elements out of wires that will brand fingertips with interesting zig-zag patterns and make slithering smoke pour out of wires, just use common sense around it...
Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome! Glad to have another Missourian on the forum and loving an Airstream ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fair Play , Missouri
I can't post pictures yet!!! it still has a blue tarp over a leaky air conditioner, a cracked and stained plexiglass back window, sticky black tree sap all over it, and a cool whip lid over the stove vent, held with duct tape. I still love her! deb