Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What dkottum said.

Save, pay off debt, save, find a way to make some $ on the road, save, save, save, perhaps buy a gently used something so you can get out there and test your wings.

We paid off our little house, saved hard for 10 years, and bought our 06 Interstate in April of 07.

6 months later, at 58, we worker-bees took an early retirement from the State of Illinois and never looked back.

The best decision we ever made.

For us, selling our house and becoming full-timers was not an option, as we never wanted to tow anything, have kids/grands, and needed/wanted a home base. We never regretted that, either. It was always grand to be gone, equally grand to come home.

We roamed the country 6-9 months out of the year, depending on the year, our longest trip being 140+ days. Had the absolute time of our lives.

I really suggest you buy a gently used and get yourselves out there. This will feed your need to travel, familiarize you with costs, and give you a good idea of whether you can do without a home base or not.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post

I get it.

Continue going through the days and not living life to the fullest.
Don't buy an Airstream because they're "cold & leaky".
Don't travel or see the U.S. at such a young age otherwise, I'll fail miserably.
And don't be a hobo.

Good grief. I had to look around and make sure which forum I was on.

Any other advice?
Are you sure you get it?

Your playback is an interesting distillation which doesn't at all match what I think I've seen this group offer for your consideration.

Since you ask, the only other advice I could offer is that we're all free agents - you can certainly dive straight in and see what you see. You don't need anyone's permission or approval. It might be exactly what you're dreaming about, it might be a nightmare, it might be all of the above - it's really impossible for people not in your shoes to affirm or disaffirm your life choices. That and - when you ask for advice, be open to opinions that might challenge your thinking - otherwise, why ask?

Best of luck whatever you choose to do!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Most on- road employment is poorly paid. Suggest looking at "skilled labor" classified jobs. There are jobs which last weeks, months and years under pretty decent contractual agreements. IOW be the necessary man at the necessary place. Time off between assignments can be significant.

In like vein having the skill and the tools to maintain and repair a house or a car. An RV is some of both. There are tools, manuals and some expertise which needs acquiring, IMO.

We live in the worst country of the so-called civilized world. Designed to take not only every hour, but every dollar as well. There'll be a jumping off point which does mean leaving behind the fiction of security (for such it truly is). So an exit from travel, not just an entrance is to your advantage to consider. A complete picture. This is no longer 1970.

A TT is a great thing for shirtsleeve weather. A screened room under the main awning and the windows and roof vents open on a comfortable night. But there may extended periods of residence at close quarter RV parks buttoned up in heat or cold with Walmart the only supplier at hand and work that dos not have 9-5 hours with weekends off. This is much, too much, for some. Figure out what you'd entertain.

Heck, my weekends as family man were taken up with house maintenance and gardening (both of such I more than enjoyed). My weekends today are usually midweek by choice. And I sure don't miss commuter hours, etc. I don't make as much but overhead is radically lower. I don't have as much time off, but what there is far more free. I've always made time to read, but I now have time to think. The trades necessary were easy for me. Here's hope yours won't be overly difficult.

Best

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #44
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
PSYS....
There is a lot of 'life experience' being handed you. As an artist, or at least one who supports their efforts which are about documenting and exploring life, you are pulled in hopeful dreams... I get that .... good for you.

I've seen "security" vaporize in a moment..to be standing alone.. a visceral experience like no other... that life lesson was very early.

Folks are offering you the brutal reality because they want you to succeed, not for you to throw in the towel. With 'wisdom' offered and your own situation, you may be able to foresee difficulty we cannot. WE understand that.

For our 3 sons, all we can do is ask..."have you considered/thought of/gathered information" about whatever they are up to... if they have the answers and are aware of the possibilities, both positive and otherwise, I give them my prayerful support.... and sometimes... not often I add "I know that is gonna hurt!"....

Hope you find your wings and learn to fly very well.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote