Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #1

1961 16' Bambi
SLC , Utah
My first Airstream.

Hello all, I have been watching you for years. Both here on the road and wherever I may see one. I have been looking for a small Airstream for many years. I had never found one that was in good enough condition, small enough,priced right or an insane person who wanted to sell their Airstream. Well all that has changed this past week. I believe I have found a 1961 Bambi in farmers field. It has been sitting for 10 or more years. I think the price is right too. I won't say how much at this point. So this week I joined the forum and have been collecting info as quickly as I can about this trailer. I will try to post a couple of pics. The thing that caught my eye about this Bambi was it actually caught my eye. (the shine) I saw the sparkle from a mile away and thought, that has to be an Airstream. As I got closer I saw that indeed it was and it looked to be a newer model. I approached the owner and after a while he let me take a look @ it. Upon closer examination I realized it was an older Airstream and not as "bright" as it looked from afar. I was in LOVE. I talked with him over the next few days and came to an agreement. Yes he would sell it! I wish I could explain everything about it but I am still "uneducated". I remember seeing a rather long serial number and right below it was 3 more numbers they were 461. this led me to think it may be a 61. There are not many dents. The bottom pan has a few splits near the edges and there couple of pipes hanging out the bottom. (Drivers rear under the bathroom.) Several pipes in the back cut near the oven and fridge I think. Some windows on the bent door are broken out. Rear door is also bent a bit and most screens need to be replaced along with 2 side windows. There is no battery box lid or tanks. I can't get too far inside of it due to the fact that it is full of boxes. The walls, lights,wood and cupboards look intact but need a good cleaning. There is a soft spot on the floor by the door and the carpet needs to be removed. The seats are there but need to be recovered and I see no table. The closet door is also missing. The entire shell needs to be polished. So that is what I can tell you about my soon to be Bambi. I do appreciate all of the posts I have read and would appreciate any advice. I will continue to browse and learn. If anyone can give me an idea of what you think would be a fair price I would appreciate that too. I have seen the guide to pricing. It is better than the as is price listed. As you may well know those prices can vary a great deal depending on the person...Buyer/Seller and small or large problems that are not listed in the chart. Thanks again all of you. Mic. I think my pics need to be resized to upload. I will keep trying.
Micski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums - I don't feel that I'm qualified to answer your questions directly, however you may want to look around in some of the forum areas that deal with repairs, refurbishing, floor replacements, etc. I have looked at much of the information on these forums and I think it will give you some idea of what you may be in for in terms of work and expense. Good luck.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forum!

Hello and welcome!

My husband and I have a 1963 Bambi ~ we bought in Utah! My husband has done a complete restoration and has a lengthy thread on his work. Lots of pics and explanations and such. Perhaps if your Bambi is of similar vintage you might want to check it out. You might be able to avoid problems we faced!

Here is the thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html

Good luck with your Airstream! Post pictures soon! We love pictures!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Realy sounds like a AS IS condition to me.
Windows missing , lid missing , sitting for years, interior parts missing.
Floor rot , etc etc

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #5

1961 16' Bambi
SLC , Utah
I saw your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Hello and welcome!

My husband and I have a 1963 Bambi ~ we bought in Utah! My husband has done a complete restoration and has a lengthy thread on his work. Lots of pics and explanations and such. Perhaps if your Bambi is of similar vintage you might want to check it out. You might be able to avoid problems we faced!
I saw your picture of the bambi a few days ago and thought. "that looks like Willard Bay" Later I came across some more of your posts and pics.
I did read most of the thread the last few days and what an amazing job the 2 of you did. I have been crusing through the forums for hours each day trying to determine what I will need to do and how. I did buy this bambi and trailered it home. Today I unlaoded it and started to clean the rubish out. Carpet,padding,etc. Looks like the floor had been attempted once before. That explained the closets, and cupboards being somewhat still dissasembled. The outer skin is in good condition with minor dents. It will need polishing. And I think the floor should be taken care of right away. (Someone had made a bad attempt on the floor.) I seem to be finding some answers but still can't find info on how to replace it with the "skins on" any help or links to the thread would be appreciated, All.
Micski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Micski, welcome to the world of Aluminitus. You've got it now! As to value, it is worth whatever you paid for it. As time goes on it will be worth more to someone who falls in love with it and can't get you to part with it.
Good luck with your restoration. In a world of leaning by doing you are the "young apprentice."
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote