Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Meet Betty my 1969 Overlander

Hello Everyone,

A new guy here who just purchased my first Airstream, Betty, so named for whom I assume to be the original owner, according to the name tag above the door: "Custom Built Riviera for Betty M. Labriola".

Myself, I'm an old carpenter/contractor who's looking forward to retirement and Betty will be my temporary residence while I (at last!) build a home for myself. She'll also travel about some, so my first task is to replace the axles which I'm ordering from Colin Hyde after reading at length here on the forum. Thanks to the wealth of information I have no doubt that I can do it and I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to post their experiences about not only this, but just about every facet of owning and living in these marvelous aluminum escape pods!

Betty needs some TLC as you can imagine and it is my hope as I fix and repair that I learn a few things that would be applicable to building a tiny house which is something I intend to do at a leisurely pace to keep busy during the "golden" years. For more info on this subject: Tiny House Design
Part of my new residence will include a shop building big enough to house Betty and build tiny houses, as well.

The other pressing issue replacing the new carpet installed by the P.O. (Me & carpet don't get along!) with cork flooring. Has anyone ever done this? I've installed it on the job and in my home but wondered if there were any tips that might apply for this particular application.

Anyway, it's good to be a part of this group and I look forward reading and learning more.

My best to you all,

Egad!

Here's a few pics, the last featuring the most awesomest tow vehicle ever, thanks to Clessie Cummins!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	157029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	157030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	157031  
egad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Nice looking trailer! Would love to see the inside as well.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and to Airforums.com! You have found THE source for good info on AS trailers. Cork flooring is considered one of the best for trailers, so feel free to try out the search button up top looking for threads on it.

Plus, I am sure that others will chime in with more ideas on how to do it.

Be sure to give us some photos of the inside of Betty, so we can see how good a job you did when you post the "After" shots, OK?

Mighty smooth looking shell for a '69 there, by the way..!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
I'll get some shots of the inside as soon as I remove the plethora of tools that are scattered about!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Great looking units... Will look better together going down a remote road!

Welcome and good luck and happy trails..

Your right on target to get some axles under Betty ASAP.. Mine looked about that bad fully loaded and after my labor yesterday it now sits in the air and almost could match a monster truck ,,, well not that much but I can see daylight under the belly pan now..

From what I know and have seen,, and one listed on Ebay right now is a trailer that the owner went way over board with lumber.. I bet he added 2000 lbs in just its wood work.. So keep in the back of your mind,, ( airplane) and not semi truck when you start adding your skills to the inside.. Wally went out of his way to make Airstreams as light as possible and no reason to up set him this late in the game..

Sodbust..

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome, and Betty looks Great! You have found the best group ever to help with your questions. Tiny homes, huh? They have fascinated me since I first heard about them. They seem like a great idea. Betty is probably going to feel huge compared to one of those, though!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Kenner , Louisiana
Axles are easy, just need jackstands, floorjack, and a friend. I have cork in my 73 and I like it, but it will scratch easy with hard shoes on, or heels. Do not let pets in either, a cat is worse on them than a dog though. I wish I could send a pic but I am working offshore and it will not let me upload a pic. skip the padding that they sell you, it makes the floor feel soft.
Enjoy the trailer.
fourcatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
Great looking units... Will look better together going down a remote road!

Welcome and good luck and happy trails..

Your right on target to get some axles under Betty ASAP.. Mine looked about that bad fully loaded and after my labor yesterday it now sits in the air and almost could match a monster truck ,,, well not that much but I can see daylight under the belly pan now..

From what I know and have seen,, and one listed on Ebay right now is a trailer that the owner went way over board with lumber.. I bet he added 2000 lbs in just its wood work.. So keep in the back of your mind,, ( airplane) and not semi truck when you start adding your skills to the inside.. Wally went out of his way to make Airstreams as light as possible and no reason to up set him this late in the game..

Sodbust..
Sodbust you must be a psychic! Where I'm building my house is pretty darn remote. When I get her up there I'll post a pic of the rig in the wilderness.

Good advice about the weight considerations. I don't plan to alter the interior too much other than the flooring which hopefully won't add too many extra pounds. Per Colin's advice I'm going with 3500 lb. axles so that should help some.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcatos View Post
Axles are easy, just need jackstands, floorjack, and a friend. I have cork in my 73 and I like it, but it will scratch easy with hard shoes on, or heels. Do not let pets in either, a cat is worse on them than a dog though. I wish I could send a pic but I am working offshore and it will not let me upload a pic. skip the padding that they sell you, it makes the floor feel soft.
Enjoy the trailer.
Thanks for the advice about cork. Although my dog Buster will indeed be residing there with me. Fortunately he only weighs 12 lbs. and shouldn't do too much damage. BTW he prefers carpet. I'm lucky to have access to a large shop with cement floors and jacks and tools and a talented mechanic who's graciously offered help.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Welcome from another 1969 Overlander! We just love it! Colin is right on about the axles. Though you don't like carpet, we decided to tape down what I call microberber and we liked it so it is still there, still taped. It sweeps, vacuums, etc. You might try a piece but don't think little doggie nails will catch on it.

Looking forward to those pictures too.
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote