Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Ridgecrest , California
Maybe I'll travel ...

Greetings! Life is great, isn't it? Just when you think you're in it by yourself, a whole new community shows up! I think when one turns 50, one should treat to a really great gift, don't you think? After giving it some thought, I've settled on an Airstream or Silver Streak. (Happy Birthday to me!)

I'm looking for vintage, which I LOVE, quality, a little status, and lots of potential for travel. I'm a writer, heavy into the "interior life" (Catholic spirituality) right now, and looking for that just-right way to begin my end game. Will it be a move from the Mojave Desert? Will it be getting my Masters somewhere? Or will I buy property here, and put in an orchard and a couple of hermitages? Wow, the possibilities! So I'm in the market for a trailer that's small enough for my Ram 2500 to pull safely, but big enough to spend some extended periods of time in. I'm thinking 25-30 feet, yes?

I don't mind doing repair work, in fact, I'd prefer it, but I love keeping things original, so I'd be interested in how to keep or restore the value of an old trailer. I will also be looking for good places to stay, but that's down the road a bit.

Any thoughts? Please be my guest!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Greetings!

Welcome to the Forums and Happy Birthday! This is the place to come for Airstream info. I don't have the expertise (yet) to advise you on towing capabilities but there are a slew of folks here who will give you some expert opinions.
Good Luck!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi, and welcome to the forums.
With the tow vehicle you have, you can safely tow almost anything Airstream makes as far as a trailer, including the elusive fifth wheel model. We are in the process of getting our trailer ready to live in full time. If you are planning on living in it on your own property, or going to large RV parks, or spots with lots of wide open spaces, you can probably go with a longer unit. We went with w 31' trailer, but that may keep us out of some parks that don't allow trailers over a certain length. If you think you may want to go to the smaller places, you may want a trailer that is 25'-27' long at most.
Something you will quickly notice, is that up to a point, the longer trailers are cheaper, as there are fewer vehicles capable of towing them. So, you can probably find a 30+ foot trailer for less than a 25' or shorter unit. Personally, I think you can never have too much space. you can check out our classifieds section here, you may find something you can't live without.
Good luck with your search.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Lauraleigh, Welcome to the forums.

Check the forum classifieds.

Another member (Soldiermedic) has a nice looking 22' 56 for sale now.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us, and Happy Birthday!

Your tow vehicle (TV) will easily handle most Airstreams ever made. The 25' area would be big enough to be comfortable, and small enough to be an easy tow and set up.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote