Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Talking Lynn Porter

My wife and I are looking for a small 21' to 25' trailer to adopt. We want a trailer that has had special care and plan to travel the lower 48 Canada and perhaps Europe and Mexico. My wife has been a teacher for 38 years and will retire from a small college where she has taught for the past 10 years. I was employed in the insurance industry as an actuary and investment analyst and portofolio manager. I was disabled in an auto accident 6 years ago and am just feeling like I can do something beside sit. We live in Oklahoma and plan to purchase a well cared for Airstream before July. We hope to find an older trailer that can be pulled with a 1/2 ton pickup. We think we will enjoy rallies and caravans. We have been in Toastmasters for about 12 years. Look forward to a long active retirement.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
We have found a number of trailer for sale with the outer skin covered with caulking and doors that do not close. Are these signs of structural problem? Can they be easily fixed?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome Lynn -- indeed to both the Porters!

Take a look at http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

You will see poor-quality trailers at prices higher than should be, but rarely the other way around. So don't judge on price alone.

Older trailers are lighter weight -- and way cool , but usually in need of much TLC. Inevitable leaks do crop up, but you can't hardly compare airstreams to some other brands (SOBs) that have long since been recycled. The caulk sounds like a not very glorious attempt at addressing this. What is unseen would be condition of the floor in many hard to reach areas. Doors that don't close? Fixing is problematic; salvaging off an Airstream being recycled is simpler, tho finding one isn't easy. I'd have to believe the trailer you mention sounds like a big piece of work.

Hang around here to research issues. Ask questions. And certainly bring up any unit you might be considering. Beware, beware, beware of eBay. There are classifieds in these forums, at http://www.airstream.net/, and at http://www.airstream.com/airstreamer/classifieds.html. Consider carefully, ask plenty of questions (on these forums and to the owner of selling unit) -- but most of all do not leap quickly.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Volunteer inspectors

Many of the wonderful people on this forum will volunteer to inspect a unit for or with you. Just post the location of the unit you are considering and ask for help. If you find one that's been restored by a conscientious and honest person, you can expect to pay a premium for it.

I bought a new 22ft CCD for just the reasons the prior posters have listed. One member was lucky enough to find a new 2004 16 ft Bambi just a few days ago, and as the 2006's are out, you might get very lucky with a 2005 - or find a lightly used 2004 that someone has traded in for a bigger one. I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton Suburban, but could easily get by with a 1/2 ton. (Does that mean there's a 25ft FB in my future? Doubt it unless I win the lottery, but stranger things have happened.)

To be totally honest, don't underestimate the cost OR labor of running an Airstream. If you aren't physically able to wash one, it isn't something anyone else is going to do right for under $100 - and then there's the annual Walbernizing. Of course you don't have to do the whole thing in one day, and of course the seagull of happiness will wait until you've finished, then plop.

Good luck on your search.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet The Grand Search ...

LRPorter,

Good luck with the search. I suggest that you just look, & look & check some out yourself ... and become familiar on a comparative level with different Airstreams.

Considering your background, I am confident that you can be analytical in your evaluations. This web site can provide you with the education of what to look for and give you a good feel for the scope of work necessary to repair most necessary areas.

If you don't like suprises, (especially after you have paid for it) get some qualified assistance. You should go HERE after you have found the unit you think you want and allow someone experienced with the vintage shortcomings point them out to you.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Welcome to the forums! As I've said many times in the past to my friends, "you've got to kiss a lot of frogs!" Time is on your side. If you're not in a great hurry half the fun is in looking at other peoples rigs. Take in a rally and see what other folks are doing. Lots of ideas to be seen and you can get a better idea of what is "normal" for condition. The more familiar you are with the systems the better able you will be to make the right choice when the right unit presents itself.
Also note that if washing, waxing , polishing aren't your thing the Argosy painted trailer may be the logical choice.
Good luck.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
LRPorter---Here's anothers 2 cents worth. From your first post it seems your number one reason for wanting an AS is for travel. That said my recomendation is to look for a new or near new trailer that fits your needs. I think if you read from this forumn and others that half the fun of owning an older trailer is the tinkering that most who own them enjoy. That involves having the tools and a place to work plus the skills and patience to take on a project that's nearly always bigger than you think when you start. When admiring a vintage vehicle or trailer few have any idea the amount of research, work, time and money it took to get it to the finished product. Some things to concider.------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lynn -- If you've been reading the forums before making your first post, you may have read some things about towing capacity. You state an interest in staying in the 1/2 ton tow vehicle range. A newer 25' trailer is heavy enough to push most 1/2 tons to the edge of their GVWR -- and do so well before reaching their 'towing capacity' or GCWR. Any vehicle in the higher (nicer!) trim lines will have more options that subtract from it's payload capacity (payload capacity = difference between the truck's GVWR and empty/curb weight). You've got to look at a lot of numbers to see which makes/models will serve you best, and most of this data is available at the manufacturers' websites.

Do not put too much stock in the tow capacity or GCWR -- they're nearly Madison Avenue numbers only. If anybody stays within their TV's payload capacity, it's just about impossible to exceed the heavily advertised tow capacities and GCWR.

Translation -- browse any number of threads that come up if you search on keyword: GVWR. Oh! The opinions you will get!! Just pay caution to the above point.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Bought 1976 Argosy

We have purchased a 1976 Argosy that needs some help. We will be helping it and have already used this forum. Will try to be useful and helpful members.

Lynn & Emily Porter
Old 03-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up

I believe that the fixing up is as much fun as the traveling. You always learn something new and have a lot of pride in a job well done. This forum is a great place to find out how to fix anything you need to fix. Take your time and have fun.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations on your "new" Argosy! I hope you are able to get as much enjoyment out of the restoration and use of your trailer as we have. Be sure to post any questions that pop-up (and they will!), there is a wealth of information here on the forums and undoubtedly, someone has "been there, done that" and can lend you a virtual helping hand & moral support ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote