Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Talking Looking to Buy an Airstream for Glamping Site

Hi Everyone. My name is Rob and I am an active duty soldier. My wife and I are looking into purchasing an Airstream to possibly turn into a Glamping site. We know nothing about trailers let alone Airstreams, but they look really cool. We are excited to learn from the community here as to which models and features are the best and possibly how to fix / upgrade an Airstream if we purchase a used one.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob5127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hi Rob,
See my ad for my 93 34 foot triple axle. It is a unique trailer that would be well suited to glamping.
Marshall aka Lunatic
Old 06-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
By glamping, you mean park it and never move it?
That makes the running gear less important, and allows you to invest in more convenient and economical utilities.
Do you plan to rent or have family members stay?
There is a learning curve to staying in a typical travel trailer, with the potential for expensive repairs if you get it wrong.
Read the online news article about an Airstream encampment at Joshua Tree park.
Good luck!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Hi Rob.

To give you an idea of the most extreme scenario, use the search feature on this site and type in "full monty" or "shell off" -- that will bring up a number of threads from those who have done a full-on, frame-up restoration. These may be trailers that were "barn finds" or "field finds," purchased relatively cheap and many months or years spent lovingly restoring them at a not insubstantial cost or time investment. The threads are fascinating reads and will give you an idea of what all is involved in restoring or refurbishing or remodeling, or just updating the trailers, and how they are constructed/deconstructed.

Of course not every Airstream trailer needs a "full monty" and there are, or used to be, plenty of camp-ready used trailers out there. Generally, the more camp-ready, newer and pretty the trailer, the more expensive it will be. Also, location, location, location, used trailers in the midwest and south will be cheaper than on the coasts.

Also, check out the classified section here. At the moment, the trailers are at peak pricing, both because of the summer season, and also especially because of the pandemic.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tips on purchase

Airstreams 25' and longer are 8 1/2' wide as of 1995. Earlier models are 8' wide. That 6" makes a BIG difference. Try to buy a 1995 or newer to get that extra width. Check the floors all around for any water leakage damage. Depending on big you go, up to 34' is available, and depending on what area of the country you are going to park it consider a 50 AMP trailer with 2 AC's.

Thank you for your service to our country. I am a U.S. Army Veteran and consider those years serving as among the best. Hang in there.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Man those 34 footers are awesome. Have people close to me who had an ‘87. They still tow smaller than their size. On my bucket list.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
I've seen a few setups like you are describing, and they all seemed to have some things in common. They have some real nice additions constructed, like decks and screened dining areas, or even above ground swimming pools.
A screened in dining area can give you the option of removing the dinette from inside the trailer to maximize living space.
Good luck and thanks for your service from a fellow military man.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote