Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
jupiter , Florida
looking for the right airstream

Hello, I am new to the site. I am 50 years old and am looking for an airstream to travel the country. I know nothing about trailers but like the flexibility they seem to offer. So I need advice on buying new or maybe a good used airstream. I am looking for the smallest/biggest model. Maybe 20 feet? It is just me so I don't think I'll need that much room: bed, eating and cooking area. Any suggestions as to which model is best for one person traveling. I was thinking of a truck camper, but I don't see that as versatile enough. I am on a budget so I am looking for the best bang for my buck. Also, I have to sell my condo in florida first. So I am hoping to get this all together by the spring. Then there is the problem with mail and insurance as I won't have an address. Thanks for any help.
mark a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Mark, welcome! Lots of good information for you here - check out the search feature at the top of the screen. There are many people who fulltime in their Airstreams and I'm sure they will chime in with all kinds of advice for you (including the address issue). Good luck with your search!b
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Check into the search feature it has been discussed alot.
What do you have to a tow vehicle? If you can't afford a one big enough for the trailer you want then that is your limiting factor.

Mail and insurance. get a PO box while you still have physical address. There are forwarding services.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good Sam and Escapees both have remote address services for registration, drivers license and insurance. If you don't like the addresses they have, you can get a PO box with a normal street-type address, and have the mailing service where the box is located box your mail and send it to you twice a month as a package.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We just purchased a 19' model and it fits the three of us just dandy. It has a nice fulltime bed, and a convertable dinette if you want a second bed. We think of it as a studio apartment on wheels. The 20' model's dinette does convert to a bed, but it is really small.

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
It has a nice fulltime bed, and a convertable dinette if you want a second bed.
The fulltime bed was important to us. We don't want to bother seting up a bed every place we stop.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Airstreams are the greatest! I suggest you keep your eye open everywhere for the one that will fit you perfectly! Look in your local paper, Craigslist, ebay, and of course, here on our classifieds! This review of what is offered and at what price will give you an idea of what you might expect. In the meantime you might browse through the threads and see what kinds of restoration folks have done.

If looking for a bit older model be sure and inspect everything! Especially the floor, soft spots are a big clue there are problems... most older airstreams need new floors and wiring upgrades.

Here is an interesting thread that will cover all sorts of ideas for you:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck and be sure and keep your eyes open for that perfect one!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
bend , Oregon
Hello Mark.....I hope you find that perfect fit....My new playhouse has the L Lounge.... Airstream's website was a good place to start....thank goodness for this forum..some of the user friendly websites...the honest dealers and sales people that where smart enough to really know what they were selling. ......and from personal experience...I found conflicting information regarding the specs..floorplans..standards..options..and pricing....some window stickers "list of standards" were again charged as part of the LS pkg. .....early '07 the LS pkg was an additional charge..mid '07 it became standard..price included in the base price...the list goes on....
I had one horrible experience with a dealer ...good for me I went somewhere else..I left with an airstream high....If you want a smaller one...check out the limited 19' 75th.. up to date w/ a vintage flair!!not many left ..only 75 made..and I think the prices are better now...anyway....Goodluck
shelly brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, Mark...and Shelly...you're in the right place to do research along with the Airstream website for current models, spec's and floorplans. Poke around the sub-forums and you'll find a ton of info...and don't be afraid to ask questions...the folks here are very knowledgeable and will help when they can.

Basic things to consider:
1. Your tow vehicle...think of that at the same time you research Aristreams, and check towing threads for info on tow vehcile needs, etc. (The newer small models are heavier than the vintage small models, by the way.)

2. How are you going to use it? We like our 19' Bambi for towability (thought all Aristreams tow well with the right tow vehicle, etc.) and the ability to get into tighter spaces, but we don't live in it...You may want more room than that size offers.

3. Holding tanks and fresh water. The 16' Bambi is also great, with the one drawback being it has a combined grey water/black water holding system as opposed to separate holding tanks. The larger the unit the more fresah water and holding tank capacities you'll find. The vintage models before a certain year do not have black water holding tanks originally, though the previous owners may have added them.

That's only a beginning list...it will grow as you begin looking at options...

Good luck with the quest...you're going to really enjoy your Airstream when it finds you!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Just make sure you are comfy on the bed and have enough room on the throne.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
hi, used airstreams seem rather scarece, I bought a 2006 Safari SS off a dealers' lot. I tow with a 2002 Suburban 2500, plenty of truck for the 25 foter. For me, this is the smallest that I wanted to go, mixing portability with full time accomodation. I hope you have fun, I am planning some fun adventures!
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi Mark a
I say "WELCOME" as did our moderator when I joined this great group. There is just an untold wealth of info here. We have those that are "Professionals" (in the biz) that are gracious enough to lend us thier vast knowledge. Then there are the "Pros" that are old seasoned vets with an equal amount of knowledge (BEEN THERE DONE THAT). Lots of luck on your quest. The people here will not steer U wrong. My wife and I are still looking. There are units here (Classifieds) in Fla U can go see. Learn here how to inspect this stuff for yourself. Remember "The only stupid Question is the one U dont ask"
Good LUCK MARK
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote