Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Big Sur , California
Looking for Airstreamers and renovators in the Monterey Bay area

Hi there, I am new to here, even though I have had an account for a while already as I was renovating a 1974 Avion. There was some very helpful advice on the site. Now I am working on my next project, a 1965 22'Safari and I am looking for some buddies...any Airstreamers in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area that are into renovating? Sometimes it would be so much nicer to actually talk to someone instead of reading online.
I have two small floor rots and am thinking of cleaning the belly pan, since mice have lived in the Safari ALL OVER!!! Most of my windows leak, I ordered all seals and glazing. This is what I wanted to tackle first, maybe there is someone around who might be willing to give me some advice on location? I also have two new Astrodomes here that I would like to install, but getting onto the roof by myself I find a little scary...
Oh, and my black water tank leaks, npt sure yet if it is the valve/ seal or the tank itself.

I LOVE reading the posts, thank you for all the efforts all you members make in sharing repair experiences and frustrations.

Caroline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-Safari-1965.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	89304  
luminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I love the picture. Looks so quiet there. I am far away in the Northeast Bay Area. If you ever close let me know and I will make us tea.
Smiles,
Pink
Old 10-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I wish I lived there today as it is cold and rainy....even snowing during the Patriots game. BRRR..

I would suggest checking in with the Vintage Airstream Club members that is part of the much larger Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) In the coastal California areas.

Some internet hunting will be in order. Vintage rallies are the best source for local talent, be it tin Can Tourist, Vintage Airstream Club and Craig Dorsey's Vintage Vacation rallies to name a few. All also out of season now so use the next many months to read up here and other sources.

Check the Forums Repair section and links to major renovations if you have not done so already.
Good Luck!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Big Sur , California
Thank you, Safari62, for the advice. But here is a question: What exactly is a rallye?? I have been reading about them, but never quite figured it out - basically an Airstream-owner meeting/hangout/campout?
Just curious...Caroline
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminist View Post
Thank you, Safari62, for the advice. But here is a question: What exactly is a rallye?? I have been reading about them, but never quite figured it out - basically an Airstream-owner meeting/hangout/campout?
Just curious...Caroline
That's about it. Camp out, hang in and happy hour. Check out the Rally zone http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/ here on the Forums. Vintage Rallies will be best for mining information on restorations. All will require some travel but that's why Wally put the wheels on these things. Lots of information on the internet...forums, etc.

Check RJ Dial's site www.vintageairstream.com
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hi Luminist,
I have a '64 safari in the ugly middle of a frame-on renovation, and I'm about an hour and a half north of you. If you would like to see what it looks like send me a PM and I would be happy to share what I have learned and done with you. Boulder Creek is in the mountains above Santa Cruz, in case you are not familiar. I am around most weekends.
Good luck with your Airstream,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminist View Post
Hi there, I am new to here, even though I have had an account for a while already as I was renovating a 1974 Avion. There was some very helpful advice on the site. Now I am working on my next project, a 1965 22'Safari and I am looking for some buddies...any Airstreamers in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area that are into renovating? Sometimes it would be so much nicer to actually talk to someone instead of reading online.
I have two small floor rots and am thinking of cleaning the belly pan, since mice have lived in the Safari ALL OVER!!! Most of my windows leak, I ordered all seals and glazing. This is what I wanted to tackle first, maybe there is someone around who might be willing to give me some advice on location? I also have two new Astrodomes here that I would like to install, but getting onto the roof by myself I find a little scary...
Oh, and my black water tank leaks, npt sure yet if it is the valve/ seal or the tank itself.

I LOVE reading the posts, thank you for all the efforts all you members make in sharing repair experiences and frustrations.

Caroline
Hi Caroline,

i'm not to any help for you...but, you happen to live in my favorite area and you are also in the process of restoring, which i'm in as well. fortunately i have help from an expert friend. but, i just wanted to say hi and tell you what a beautiful photo you posted of your trailer. good luck and maybe we'll meet one day on my trips up the coast.

Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Big Sur , California
Hello there, Rich,
That is great, I think I have read already quite some threads of you. What is a PM?
Thank you for your offer! I am all into learning about renovating - finally an Airstreamer that is not so far away :-)
Greetings and until soon-
Caroline
Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Big Sur , California
Hello, Pink,
where are you located? Did you actually purchase that Airstream?
Teas sounds great, let me know when you are in the area, I might come to up to yours once my Safari is renovated :-)
Bye now,
C
Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
I'm on the other side of the country (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia), but I'm in the middle of an intensive restoration of my '65 Safari, so I might be able to help with model and year-specific issues. At the moment, I'm finishing up a rear subfloor replacement, and doing some wiring. I'd be happy to help with anything if I can.
We did a 2 1/2 year trip around the US and Canada in ours, and stayed in Del Mar for a winter- it's beautiful out there, and you could enjoy camping year-round.

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carmel networking, monterey