Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
mckinney , Texas
looking for advise on classic trailers

hi, i am green to this. have always wanted to have a airstream and it is time to pull the trigger. I have a v6 avelanch and there are two of us. i am a tall guy and need some room 6'7''. i want to spend under 10k. and do not want to do the fix up trick. is it possible and what years are the best construction? thanks loads jay
jay evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Jay -- and welcome to the Forums! Take a look at this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post265735

It is possible to find something with fewer needs but you'll kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

A 6-cylinder isn't great for a tow vehicle. I have a friend who tows a big popup camper with one and he says it struggles. He never goes over 60mph because of how it feels -- but there are a lot of other reasons to avoid higher than 65mph even with larger engines! So you'll want to stay with the lightest possible Airstream. 20 & 30 years ago they weighed a lot less than today. Sadly for your quest the shorter lengths are in highest demand and can command some higher prices. Off the top of my head I would say 22 feet would be way too much for your tow vehicle. Stay in the mid-teens. It will take quite a bit of scrounging! See: http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I bought a 24ft 1978 Argosy, sight unseen, that weighed in on the truck scales 3640 empty. I never pull it with the water tank filled; however, I do have a microwave and additional small frig in it now. That adds to the weight, along with all the "stuff" you need to have fun camping. I pull with a V8 Tundra stepside pickup that has a listed towing capacity far beyond what this Argosy should weigh. I do not struggle to pull it, but I certainly would not pull it with anything less. You will probably not find many Airstream/Argosys that weigh less than this trailer and in your price range. Also please go look at any trailer before you buy it. I was very lucky to deal with an honest man who sold me a mint condition trailer. Still it now has new AC, replaced Univolt (that still worked), replaced fuse box (that still worked), new electric jack, new vents (that still worked) new lights (old still worked) and many hours of fun putting in a new wood floor that was just a "want to" thing also. You just get hooked on playing with your trailer. Older Argosys weigh less, but you will have to look hard to find one. First find what your V6 is capable of pulling and go from there. Remember the "stuff" you'll load. Just noticed you're in Texas. I got my trailer from Mark in El Paso, Texas. He's very honest and if he has an AS, believe what he tells you about it. He's listed on RV Trader under Horizon RV.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote