Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocean Park , Washington
Looking for a home for the road...

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Well my husband works on the road and can't be home with us so we thought we would make our home on the road with him. Thus we are looking for a travel trailer that can handle being on the road year round. I love airstreams and would love to make one our new home but it seems all we can afford is one that is a bit older. Unfortunately airstreams are few and far between compared to other varieties and I am trying not to be in a hurry. Since we could end up in snow country from time to time we thought it would be best to get an Airstream. Right now there is only one within a reasonable distance that I am hoping to look at and it is a 1977 Argosy but I am concerned of its road worthiness because of its age. Since we will be traveling so much I don't know if I should be considering ones so old? Furthermore I don't really know what to pay for a trailer that old? Either way I will continue to research airstreams and search for the right trailer.[/FONT]
anna.kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
research

Do your research on Argosy here. There are lots of threads regarding them. You did not say if it is a Minuet or standard Argosy. The beauty of the Argosy is the light towing weight. Our 1978 Argosy Minuet has an aluminum floor which we consider a great thing...no floor rot to worry about. As with all things there are trade offs. But we love our vintage and it is very road worthy because we keep up the maintenance. There are lots of folks on here who are ready and willing to look at AS that are on the market 3 states away from you to check them out before you buy. You can take advantage of that too!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocean Park , Washington
I am pretty sure it is a standard Argosy it is aprox. 27'. The Minuets are smaller trailers right? I spoke to a dealer in Spokane, WA today that had a Minuet that needed a bit of restoration and I understood from her that it was smaller. I am hoping to find one that is a little bigger because we will have our kids with us and we will be living in it most of the time so I want it to be spacious and have a back bedroom. The one I am planning on looking at is laid out like this from front to back: Living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. This is the type of layout that I am looking for. How do I find people that will check out AS for me? That is quite generous of people to do, do they charge fees?
anna.kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Thumbs up Great Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.kerwin
The Minuets are smaller trailers right? I spoke to a dealer in Spokane, WA today that had a Minuet that needed a bit of restoration and I understood from her that it was smaller.
Anna,
You have found a great resouce. The Dealer in Spokane is very knowledgable and helpful.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.kerwin
I am pretty sure it is a standard Argosy it is aprox. 27'. The Minuets are smaller trailers right? I spoke to a dealer in Spokane, WA today that had a Minuet that needed a bit of restoration and I understood from her that it was smaller. I am hoping to find one that is a little bigger because we will have our kids with us and we will be living in it most of the time so I want it to be spacious and have a back bedroom. The one I am planning on looking at is laid out like this from front to back: Living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. This is the type of layout that I am looking for. How do I find people that will check out AS for me? That is quite generous of people to do, do they charge fees?
Hi again! Minuets are about 6" narrower. Not a big deal for us...only two of us. It is a dream to tow. They typically do NOT have a back bedroom, but I think there are few 7.3 metre ones that had them...Argosy. Bathrooms are typically in the rear and are much smaller than those Airstreams with bathrooms amid ship. This is the thread that will give you all of the back information on getting someone to inspect a trailer for you.,http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tor-22956.html
You usually find one, PM a person who is a volunteer and set it up. Most will usually want to be paid for their gas and mileage....maybe a small charge for sending pictures if needed. I think once you read the thread you will figure it out. Good luck in your search.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome Anna,

This is a great place to learn all things Airstream. If you are looking for an older model, I am sure you can find one that will fit your needs at a price you can live with. Be sure and check out the classifieds here as well as look at what is available via ebay and craigslist for your area.

If you decide you want to expand beyond Argosy and look at a traditional Airstream, this link may help you think about year/layout/etc. that will meet the needs of your family. (scroll down to see years/models)
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Here is also a good place to look for basic price information. It will give you lots of information to think about! Take this information along with current trends and you may get a fair idea of what you may pay.
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
You will also want to determine how long/much of a trailer you can tow with the vehicle you own. There are lots of threads on vehicle type/size and trailer type/size, check out the search button on the top right of the blue toolbar.

Great to have you aboard! Good luck in your search! Folks here are really great!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote