Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I got a husky electric jack. I would turn it sideways instead of a stringer as you want the trailer closer, not further away from your tv. We loved our 22. Airforums, spent many hours searching and asking. Most popular question from newbies is about battery going dead when boondocking. If you always go full hook ups, no worries. If you dry camp then read all about batteries, solar and boondocking. I found that a 100 watt solar suitcase and two 6 volt golf cart batteries were great and cheap but I did put 2 on the roof as well. Start there unless money is no object
Traded in 2016 Sport 16, 2019 Sport 22
As they say, third AS is what to buy first
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congrats!

Our first trailer was a 2015 Sport 22. We also drive a Tundra. We also use the equalizer hitch with it to tow.

I have some specific advice for you to consider based on your setup.

1-Tow mirrors. If you don't have some yet, I cannot say enough good things about the McKesh tow mirrors with the convex spots on each side. Once we got these (they were the 3rd round of tow mirrors we tried) we were completely satisfied. They don't wiggle or vibrate, and the field of vision is excellent. Really takes the stress away. They can be purchased on the Hensley Hitch website. They take a bit of time to learn how to get them on, but once you get the hang of it they go in about 1 minute each side. You may think they look complicated or dorky, but they are really functional. This picture is with our 25 FC, which is even wider than the 22. Look how much you can see in the tow mirrors, especially merging on-ramp traffic in the convex one.

2-Organization. I really struggled to keep the outdoor things organized until I got these clear bins with the lids that clip on. These made a big difference in the storage compartment not being a hot mess.

If you can, post the model numbers of your microwave and refrigerator. These change from time to time, but if you are specific then someone can help you by getting you the info

Speaking of refrigerator, a couple of tips. When you camp on longer trips bring some of those blue ice packs and you can re-freeze them in the AS freezer and then use them during your day trips in your small cooler. Also FYI Ben and Jerry's will fit just fine in that freezer. You would be surprised how many convenience stores carry it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	369196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	369197  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My guess is that if you are clearing the jack but not the handle then you don't need much to make it clear. If you have a long enough stinger inserted into your receiver, maybe just drilling another for the pin hole will help clear the jack handle. Measure twice drill once.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote