Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Long time listener, first time caller

Hello all.

3-1/2 years ago, the wife and I decided we wanted an Airstream travel trailer. We looked at SOBs, but every time came back to Airstream. Their trailers just felt solid, bright, and high end, while the SOBs felt dark, outdated, flimsy, and cheap.

I joined this forum in late 2016 and proceeded to lurk, reading everything I could to learn about all the different trailers and trim lines, what people liked and didn't like, etc. Last month, we decided it was time to finally pull the trigger. As of yesterday, we are the proud owners of a new-to-us 2018 22FB Sport.

Had Happy Hour in it last night (in our driveway parking area) where I opened a gift bottle of single-malt scotch (Glenmorangie Allta, for those that are interested) that I had been saving for a special occasion.

The wife and I have done some trailer camping in the past on a few occasions, but only with rentals. We're both really excited about this and are looking forward to a few short trips to get used to the new trailer, figure out how everything works, and work out the kinks (I expect those kinks to mostly be me!). Since the trailer was used, the prior owners didn't leave any manuals, so I am currently on the hunt for downloadable user manuals for the refrigerator and convection microwave. Any help on this would be appreciated.

This trailer also came with a manual jack, so looking for recommendations for a low profile electric replacement. I'd like to be able to open my tailgate when hooked up, and can't with the manual jack.

Anywho, that's it in a nutshell. Happy Camping!
Freak Show is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If you haven’t already, I’d advise you read the threads about battery management/failures in the repair section of this forum and get a good feel for how your use/store switch works, whether or not you have a multistage converter/charger, and what batteries you have and how they’ll need to be managed. I think this area is one of the biggest surprises for new to AS owners.

And welcome to the group.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

All the technical aspects of Airstreaming will come with practice. Give it some time and you will be a pro before you know it. As for manuals regarding your appliances, they are easy to find with a google search. Don't bemoan the lack of the OEM Airstream manuals. You have actually gained some storage space because the manuals are not very good. You can get much better information here on AirForums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Airstream does have many manuals on their website and searching by mfgr and model of appliances for example you can build a good digital file.

Jack recommendation make mine a Husky. Mine is about 8 yrs old no problems.

If you’re a bit mechanical learn about your trailer brakes. How they work, adjusting, possibly repacking bearings depending on what type they are just get to know them. Don’t assume.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Don't Fret...it can be a fun learning curve.👍
Common Sense and research is paramount.

With the shorter AS the easiest way to gain tailgate clearance would be to get a longer ball extension,(stinger).

Don't skimp on the hitch. Sway control a highly recommended, (Sport is a single axle?), especially with a longer stinger. A friction bar worked very well on our 22' Safari.

Are you using weight distribution?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome to the forum. It is nice to have you. You are wise to be thinking about having your tailgate clear the jack. I am not aware of any that are low profile. They have to be tall enough to get the jack extended.

Having an extended stinger is an option. I you can visit a trailer dealership they might be able to give you some options.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
If you haven’t already, I’d advise you read the threads about battery management/failures in the repair section of this forum and get a good feel for how your use/store switch works, whether or not you have a multistage converter/charger, and what batteries you have and how they’ll need to be managed. I think this area is one of the biggest surprises for new to AS owners.

And welcome to the group.

Mike
Thanks for the advice and the welcome, Mike.

I feel pretty confident about the use/store switch, which means I'm probably wrong. I have a single lead-acid battery. It seems pretty straight forward, so no concerns yet.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

All the technical aspects of Airstreaming will come with practice. Give it some time and you will be a pro before you know it. As for manuals regarding your appliances, they are easy to find with a google search. Don't bemoan the lack of the OEM Airstream manuals. You have actually gained some storage space because the manuals are not very good. You can get much better information here on AirForums.

Brian
Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Brian.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Airstream does have many manuals on their website and searching by mfgr and model of appliances for example you can build a good digital file.

Jack recommendation make mine a Husky. Mine is about 8 yrs old no problems.

If you’re a bit mechanical learn about your trailer brakes. How they work, adjusting, possibly repacking bearings depending on what type they are just get to know them. Don’t assume.

Gary
Perfect--exactly what I was hoping for. The GVWR for the 22FB Sport is 4500 lbs. I don't really need to lift 4500 lbs, so was wondering what the appropriate weight capacity should be.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't Fret...it can be a fun learning curve.👍
Common Sense and research is paramount.

With the shorter AS the easiest way to gain tailgate clearance would be to get a longer ball extension,(stinger).

Don't skimp on the hitch. Sway control a highly recommended, (Sport is a single axle?), especially with a longer stinger. A friction bar worked very well on our 22' Safari.

Are you using weight distribution?

Bob
🇺🇸
Thanks Bob.

Yes, the Sport is a single axle.

Since my Tundra owner's manual specifies that I need mechanical sway control for trailers over 2000 lbs, and WD at 5000 lbs, I went ahead and got a Equal-I-zer AS/WD hitch. So, I do have a stinger, but the tailgate--while it will clear the jack--will not clear the jack handle.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Welcome to the forum. It is nice to have you. You are wise to be thinking about having your tailgate clear the jack. I am not aware of any that are low profile. They have to be tall enough to get the jack extended.

Having an extended stinger is an option. I you can visit a trailer dealership they might be able to give you some options.
Thanks for the welcome. Good the be here.

When I wrote low profile I was looking for something slimmer, as right now, while my tailgate will clear the jack itself, it will hit the crank handle.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak Show View Post
Thanks Bob.

Yes, the Sport is a single axle.

Since my Tundra owner's manual specifies that I need mechanical sway control for trailers over 2000 lbs, and WD at 5000 lbs, I went ahead and got a Equal-I-zer AS/WD hitch. So, I do have a stinger, but the tailgate--while it will clear the jack--will not clear the jack handle.
How about cut the handle weld a nut on the end.
Get a 3/8" impact driver and viola...you have a power jack.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Echoing this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
If you haven’t already, I’d advise you read the threads about battery management/failures . . . .
. . . the following Battery School site is good background reading FYI:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Perfect--exactly what I was hoping for. The GVWR for the 22FB Sport is 4500 lbs. I don't really need to lift 4500 lbs, so was wondering what the appropriate weight capacity should be.

Thanks!

It’s not just the tongue weight. You will in most cases raise the trailer and back end of the tow vehicle to connect the weight distribution bars.

That’s where the extra capacity helps.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
This trailer also came with a manual jack, so looking for recommendations for a low profile electric replacement. I'd like to be able to open my tailgate when hooked up, and can't with the manual jack.
I've never seen a low profile electric jack. That tube has to go somewhere. I don't know your tow vehicle, but your options (if the tailgate hits the manual jack) is to extend the shank (sometimes called a 'stinger' for unknown reasons) on your hitch. This will be controversial, but finding a shank a couple inches longer shouldn't cause noticeable issues. A shank is a shank, so a 2" shank from Curt will support a hitch from Blue Ox just fine. The problem is shank makers don't all measure this same way. This is why I like e-trailer for their videos where the expert puts a tape measure on the shank. Or you can buy a shank that's perhaps 8" longer and drill another hole so it's 2" - 3" longer than your stock shank.
Tell me what you currently have as a tow vehicle and hitch!

Once you have the tailgate solved, you'll move to an electric jack. My advice would be to get the most powerful in your price range. You may think, "My tongue weight is only 500#", but to easily hook up the bars or chains, lifting the truck AND trailer makes it easy. an electric jack will drop right in where the manual jack was. You'll run one wire to the battery.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I went ahead and got a Equal-I-zer AS/WD hitch. So, I do have a stinger, but the tailgate--while it will clear the jack--will not clear the jack handle.
Ah!
The Tundra has a tall tailgate since the bed is 23+" deep. Chevys and Fords are 21" and so Tundras hit the jack more than others.
You'll discover with the Equalizer, it's MUCH easier to place the bars on the "L" brackets IF you connect the ball, then lift the truck and trailer together. So get the strongest jack you think appropriate.
You might need to turn the electric jack sideways to clear the head. I did it with a new Husky 5000. Some jacks allow you to rotate just the head, mine did not, so I did a post on how to turn the jack by drilling new holes in the jack plate.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ys-196460.html

AND, before I wear out my welcome, there's a product called a "Jack-E-Up" that makes the tongue jack removable! If you're connected take the jack away. Problem solved!
https://jack-e-up.com
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Thanks to all for the welcome and the assistance/input. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #18

2018 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Welcome! We just sold our 2014 22FB Sport - she was such a fun trailer... you will have great times ahead of you for sure. We needed more space for a growing fam, but I will always have a fond place in my heart for our Bambi.

Regarding the owner's manuals: indeed, you can find much better and more helpful info on the forum. HOWEVER, they are nice to have if you are ever without cell service and run into difficulties - at least for some sort of guidance (spoken from experience - we make it a point to be without cell service and we've had a pretty good number of questions, especially on our first boondocking trip as newbies and at other times since). I myself am currently in the process of trying to compile owner's manuals for our new-to-us 2018 Classic. Why anyone would keep manuals for something they no longer own is beyond me.

Enjoy your travels, learn from your frustrations, and know you are part of a great community!
AMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lacey , Washington
Thanks, AMohr.

Yeah, there were several things that the prior owners kept (lost?) that have me baffled, but I am downloading all the manuals I feel I need, putting them in a binder, and keeping it in the magazine rack right inside the door. We may or may not be having wifi at any destination, so having a hard-copy manual I think is important.

It's just the wifey and I now for the most part. Both kids done with college and one out of the house (the other wanting to get out of the house), so we picked something that wasn't too big, not too small, that would be a breeze to pull, and would only cost a leg. I think this will work nicely for just the two of us.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Welcome to Air Forums. This forum is an immense help to Airstreamers. You've come to the right place to learn more and at some point begin helping others.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and the welcome, Mike.

I feel pretty confident about the use/store switch, which means I'm probably wrong. I have a single lead-acid battery. It seems pretty straight forward, so no concerns yet.
You will need to ensure your trailer electrical system is really "off" when you put the switch into the appropriate position. There are numerous threads regarding dead batteries even when the switch is set correctly. In many newer trailers and Interstates there continues to be parasitic drains on the battery even when the switch is correctly set to store the rig.

Some very recent Airstreams have corrected the issue of parasitic drain but your trailer may very well have the design that will drain the battery in a number of days. Adding a basic battery management system will help you understand the condition of your batteries, level of charge, parasitic loads, etc.

See Ya Down the Road!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote