Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
McMurray , Pennsylvania
Livin' the Dream!

Super excited to be joining the forum as an official Airstream owner today!

Our 1975 Airstream Tradewind has arrived today. I'm completely overwhelmed by all of the work that has to be done to it. But I'm enthusiastic, so that has to count for something, right?

She's got 9782 as her number, but I've not looked into anything more about her.

I've got big plans for her which I plan to reveal shortly. But she's going to be gutted. So of course I need to find out what to do with the interior, how to fix all of the problems, etc. This forum has already helped me decide to go ahead with the purchase (even without knowing the extent of the issues). So thanks for that!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharon-west/13685036475/

Sharon
sharwest9782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Congrats on your new acquisition, and welcome to the forums!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome to the world of Tradewinds! We love ours.

We did extensive interior renovation without changing the general layout (except the bathroom). It took us four years, without missing out on any camping once we had the new axles in. Our blog is in my sig line if you want a taste of what we did.

Read a lot before you pull the insides out. Some things that are in there may be very useful and nearly impossible to replace. Sometimes on the forum we see cases where people gutted an Airstream with great enthusiasm and great plans and then realized it was a bigger job than they thought. The better you can assess your resources (money, skill and time) and accurately gauge the scale of your project, the greater your likelihood of success.

For us, it was a big job, and worth every hour, penny and "learning experience." Post pics as you go!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharwest9782 View Post
... I've got big plans for her which I plan to reveal shortly. But she's going to be gutted. So of course I need to find out what to do with the interior, how to fix all of the problems, etc....

Sharon:

First, welcome to the Forums.

Second, read, read, read all of the rebuild threads on the mid-seventies "larger" trailers, then read some more.

Prior to removing any piece of the interior, if you intend to put your trailer on the road, drop the belly pan and take care of ALL of the issues on the bottom side, then proceed to the top and interior. Chances are you will discover some issues that will require removal of some or all of the interior items.

Mark and map anything you will remove - trust me, you WILL need a map and photographic history to jog your memory during installation. Photograph all steps of the installation.

Chances are you will need new axles, new manufacturers only guarantee the 2014 axles for 5 years - yours are certainly due or replacement if they are original. Another good bet is that you will have to remove at least the bottom portion of the interior aluminum - this is a good time to remove all of the interior.

Best to use the search tab here on the Forums prior to asking specific questions.

Trust those who have demonstrated expertise in the area you are questioning, others, not so much.

A good rebuild takes lots of space and an abundance of time and money.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote