Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Exeter , Devon
Limey alien looking to abduct an Airstream !

Good Morning America !
I have dreamed of owning an Airstream since i was a kid and as I near an early retirement,some 50 years later, I am planning to relieve you folks of one of your groovy trailers & export it to England,then escape our lousy climate every winter and travel down to Spain and maybe even as far as Morocco ! hope y'all
won't mind too much, i know i'm not the first. 'Streams' are becoming more and more popular in Europe, i think people of my generation who grew up on a diet of classic American T.V./ Rock n' roll/ Jazz/ Literature, have a nostalgia
for the good ol' days when the world was a less complicated place, and the 'Stream' seems to encapsulate that perfectly !
I'll need to research shipping costs and conversion of electrical parts to
suit European system so will post some requests nearer the time.
For the moment i have a busy summer ahead of me, some friends are sailing
all around the coast of Britain this summer ( about 2300 miles ) to raise money for a childrens hospice called "Rainbows" so i have volunteered to pull a 6 berth trailer around to act as shore base/support, it will be a good opportunity to get used to life on the road !! If anyone is interested our website is Hobie Challenge. It should be great fun !!
Well Airstreamers,i'm going back to the classifieds now to look at those
cool pictures ! thanks for listening ! best wishes from Opto-Mister
opto-mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Opto-Mister - Welcome to the Forums. The more the better. Congratulations on your move to finally own your Airstream. Are you aware that new Airstreams are now being sold in the UK & Europe? These are fully converted to European standards, tow vehicles & roads - and would save you a good bit of expense & work on a refit.

Intresting - Your nostalga includes American TV, music & a perceived kinder period of time. I grew up on the Beatles & Stones, but also your wonderful gripping history. I like the idea of our cultures passing each other back & forth over "the pond" of the Atlantic.

Keep us posted as to how your AS search & decisions go.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Funny, I always prefered British music to North American. I continue with a steady diet of The Clash, Bowie, The Jam, The Buzzcocks, The Fall & Stranglers to name a few.
Best of luck with your search and welcome to the forums!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by opto-mister
Good Morning America !
I have dreamed of owning an Airstream since i was a kid and as I near an early retirement,some 50 years later, I am planning to relieve you folks of one of your groovy trailers & export it to England,then escape our lousy climate every winter and travel down to Spain and maybe even as far as Morocco ! hope y'all won't mind too much, i know i'm not the first.
Opto-Mister
Y'all!!! Damn! You know how to talk! Besides that, my man Mr. Bogart, would definitely approve!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Appleby-in-Westmorland , Cumbria
Thumbs up Fellow Brit already along your intended path....

Hi I'm in the wilds of Cumbria already ahead of you in Airstream acquisition.
A few thoughts. Capture one in the States and you'll need pay for roll-on roll-off transportation, agents at both ends, and swinging UK taxes (10% + 17.5% VAT) of purchase price plus transportation costs on arrival.
Within your planning you need to be aware your Airstream will have electric brakes which need a special kit fitting to your car to work, and also you'll need a 2" (as opposed to a 50mm European standard) tow-ball to pull it (I can help in this respect).
Also your van will be wired probably for 12v and 120v electrics, so you'll need to re-wire for 240volts.
Just thought you'd like to know. I myself am working on restoration having just got the chassis and floor finished. Wiring and plumbing next.....
If you go to the Hershy show in Pennsylvania in October (its held in the grounds of the chocolate factory) you'll very probably capture an Airstream there. But don't buy a big one or you'll end up needing a 7 ton truck in the UK to tow it legally! Best of luck
John Keith
John Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Hello Opto-Mister;
Maybe you should look in Canada for your perfect Airstream. Many have already made their way north from Jackson Centre. It may be easier for you to ship to England from Canada.
I have a 1967 Safari 22' that is in near perfect original condition. We have used it for nearly 10 years and are the 2nd owners. It was always looked after and we have polished it and changed the axel to keep it perfect.
We are now working on a 1960 28' ,so may be talked into parting with the Safari, even including a couple of 2" tow-balls.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote