Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2006, 05:53 AM   #1

wymondham , norfolk
License & Insurance

Hi Everyone, We're looking to spend winters in the USA & summers at home in England. We're looking at buying a pre owned Airstream either a trailer or pusher. Our concerns are the driving license and more importantly insurance. I believe my UK license is good for up to 12 months in the US but has to be of the same catagory as I drive in UK, in my case 7500Kg (16500lb) weight. We do have a daughter, now an American citizen, so that may help if a US address is required. Help please. Regards Roger.
vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Roger -- and welcome to the Forums!

A standard drivers license is all that is needed to step up to RV or moderate weight utility towing in the U.S. For instance, if you could rent a car on your license over here I think you'd be okay.

I've asked another Brit who vacations over here to look in on this thread. He'd maybe have some experience on insurance. For more reading, do a search on 'Progressive insurance' -- a common insurer of RVs in this country.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
For instance, if you could rent a car on your license over here I....
I do not mean to suggest any possibility that a capable tow vehicle could be rented. Anything can be had for a price, but probably not through a standard rental corporation.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
I have a question on Insurance. Do you insurance with your Auto or Home Owners Insurance Policy? Or do you have a separate insurance policy?
Thanks Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
License & Insurance

Greetings Aria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Inman
I have a question on Insurance. Do you insurance with your Auto or Home Owners Insurance Policy? Or do you have a separate insurance policy?
Thanks Aria
The answer to your question depends to some degree on the state in which you live, and the value/age of your coach. Most tow vehicle insurance policies will cover only liability on the coach, and that is only while the coach is physically attached to the tow vehicle. You may, however, be able to "add" your coach to an existing comprehensive homeowner's policy or your tow vehicle's policy depending upon your insurer and regulations in your state.

As an owner of two Vintage coaches, and several collector automobiles; there was no question in my mind that I would need special coverage for my Vintage Airstreams. I shopped around for agreed value coverage for both of my Airstreams, and both have their own individual policies with specified agreed values. These agreed values did require confirmation of replacement cost via appraisal.

If you do a Forums search for Vintage and Insurance, you will find several discussions of various alternatives for insuring your Vintage Airstream.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Kevin, Thanks for your suggestion. I will start investigating. Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I've asked another Brit who vacations over here to look in on this thread. He'd maybe have some experience on insurance.
That's me! We winter in the USA for 5 months every winter, and spend the summers at home in England. We have an Excella 25 foot trailer and a Dodge Ram Cummins diesel 3/4 ton tow truck. I do not recommend you do this, as you may well pine for the cold wet grey days that seem to go on forever in an English winter, and the inevitable snuffly colds you get and the bronchial wheezes after breathing damp cold air for 5 months. Nostalgia is a strange thing......
My son is now a U.S citizen, and I found it simplest to add my vehicles to his insurance policy by registering the tow truck and trailer in our joint names. This also enables him to drive the truck when he wishes, and enables him to turn left across an oncoming car on a main highway, and re-model some large pieces of steel. Does this seem familiar??
The driver's licence is no problem, and neither is walking on a sandy beach in Feruary while wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but please don't tell anyone......
Nick.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:21 AM   #8

wymondham , norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
That's me! We winter in the USA for 5 months every winter, and spend the summers at home in England. We have an Excella 25 foot trailer and a Dodge Ram Cummins diesel 3/4 ton tow truck. I do not recommend you do this, as you may well pine for the cold wet grey days that seem to go on forever in an English winter, and the inevitable snuffly colds you get and the bronchial wheezes after breathing damp cold air for 5 months. Nostalgia is a strange thing......
My son is now a U.S citizen, and I found it simplest to add my vehicles to his insurance policy by registering the tow truck and trailer in our joint names. This also enables him to drive the truck when he wishes, and enables him to turn left across an oncoming car on a main highway, and re-model some large pieces of steel. Does this seem familiar??
The driver's licence is no problem, and neither is walking on a sandy beach in Feruary while wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but please don't tell anyone......
Nick.
Hi, I think I'll follow your example and register the trailer and truck as co owner with my daughter. Many thanks Roger
vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. We would always travel to England in the winter when the rates where lower. The weather there beat what we had in Wisconsin. As for your driver's license you can walk into any RV dealership and drive out any RV on the lot and that includes those built on semi-truck platforms. Good thing to keep in mind when driving on our roads and encountering a large motor home.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo
Hi, I think I'll follow your example and register the trailer and truck as co owner with my daughter. Many thanks Roger
Roger, good luck with your plan. I'm off to the USA on Nov 16th, but I'll PM my UK phone number to you, in case you need to talk about details. Nick.