Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Squamish , B.C
Just signed on and just started my 61 trade wind

Just saying helloo out there.I bought a 61 trade wind that was sitting under a tree in Whistler British Columbia last fall. The condition , It was a roach ,I have gutted it and pulled the rotten floor out. Im waiting now for the weather to get warm enough to treat the frame and get the new floor down.My garage is full of the furniture that Im refinishing and Im trying to find contacts to buy parts . The Airstream dealer Im closest to is only intrested in selling new trailers .. So I search. God bless the internet.
I've told my wife that it will be ready by the end of summer , HA. I guess we all strech the truth to get our toys..
Craig Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Welcome, and congratulations on your project...

We all enjoy a good "Realist" when it comes to trailer refurbs.... Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Now that you've signed up, you can use advanced "Search" tab features above to find threads on almost any subject imaginable around your Airstream. You'll be amazed to learn that you are not the first to tackle almost all the problems ahead of you.. From frame treatment (POR15..) to windows and sealant to plumbing and tanks, it's all here... You should also try to make contacts with the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) or members in your area, since they have an additional warehouse of knowledge...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey, alright. Aniother early TradeWind owner. Got any pictures of that vintage coach? Like to see what you've gotten yourself into. Plenty of folks around on this site to help you out on any of your projects.

Welcome.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Great to see you on the forums Craig. Sounds like you've got quite a restoration ahead of you. Try Vintage Trailer Supply. They may have some of the things you are looking for.

Now, show us some pictures!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Craig,

Welcome and good luck with the project. You have found a great source of information here. Search feature is great. Post photos when you have them.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hey Craig - welcome to the forums. There are several "West Coasters" on the forum. We'll be looking for progress pictures of your trailer.

Barry
Cloverdale, BC
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Craig, Welcome!
You may have noticed already, but the classified section here also lists misc items for sale. I believe you can post wanted items as well.
Nice to have you on board.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome from down the road! I'm in North Vancouver off Lonsdale, just below the highway. I also have a Tradewind, but a 1972. Be sure to post pics of your progress. We love pics!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Squamish , B.C
Sorry I have not replied to your Posts. Im not to sure how to fully use the computer or this site.I haven't logged on and checked my messages since I started because I was'nt sure how to and was surprised to see your notes. I've been using the site for some reference with out logging on.

My 61 Tradewind has had the floors gutted and replaced, the frame cleaned and painted, new foam insulation under and replaced belly pan. I have for the most part rewired the trailer and now trying to seal the leaks .All the windows are getting resealed and I have already burned up about 400 rivets. My new rivet shaver is coming this week from VTS That will give me something to do this weekend. I pulled the trailer out of the bush in Whistler B.C. The people that owned it dragged it up here from Oregon WA, 10 years earlier and then the trees grew around it so it took half a day to get it out.I do have alot of pictures I just have to figure out how to post.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - and welcome back. If you practice posting you will learn and we don't mind a bit. we would love to hear about your project. Here is some info about how to add pictures to a post.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What do you plan to do with the interior? Are you going to remain faithful to the original or customize it? Can't wait to see some pictures.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Squamish , B.C
Most of the interior I've already refinished but with a darker stain and commandeered my neigbours shed to keep it . I'm not going to put the bath back in because I need lots of storage and was planning on a outside shower.I am also going to put in a bunk bed above the rear bed.I just came in from pulling the rear window frame and was wondering why Airstream dos'nt caulk under the frame at the bottom.