Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Just joined - books?

Hello,

I am glad to be here. I really love AS. Everything about them.

Does any have good suggestions for books about AS?

I am just beginning my journey to finding a perfect AS.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streampowerd View Post
Hello,

I am glad to be here. I really love AS. Everything about them.

Does any have good suggestions for books about AS?

I am just beginning my journey to finding a perfect AS.
No such thing as a "perfect Airstream."

That's why you buy one, or two, of them, and with some effort, you create what would be to you, "THE perfect Airstream."

Welcome to Airstreaming, well.........almost.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I meant the perfect one for me. Not like in perfect condition. Thanks for the comment.
Cheers
Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Are you looking for a fairly new one. really old one, or one in the middle? What is your price point? Would you be able to do the work yourself or need to farm it out? The best advice I can give is the start reading here on this forum. The knowledge is tremendous. More than you will ever read in a book.

Read a lot on other restoration/renovations, decide which route you want to go. Some guy do it on a shoestring, some middle of the road and some, the skys the limit. What ever works for you. Just make sure your foundation is solid and your axels and tires are good. Then you're on your way.

Happy reading,

Annette

P.S. I forgot to say, Welcome to the world of Airstreaming and you will find the "perfect" air stream for you just don't jump at the first one you find without doing your research first. That is what this forum is for, to help fellow air streamers. So start asking some questions!
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Good books on Airstreams . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streampowerd View Post
Hello, . . . Does any have good suggestions for books about AS?
The best two books on Airstreams are "Wanderlust - Airstream at 75" by Russ Banham (2005) and "Airstream - History of the Land Yacht" by Bryan Burkhart & David Hunt (2000). They will get you started down the incurable path.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
The best two books on Airstreams are "Wanderlust - Airstream at 75" by Russ Banham (2005) and "Airstream - History of the Land Yacht" by Bryan Burkhart & David Hunt (2000). They will get you started down the incurable path.
Thanks. I love Colorado. I graduated from CU at Boulder.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red face

bullydogsmom: Are you looking for a fairly new one. really old one, or one in the middle? What is your price point? Would you be able to do the work yourself or need to farm it out?

I think I am going to have to farm it out. At least the mechanical. I want to do the renovation myself. I don't think I will be doing a restoration just yet. I am working to save around 7000-8000 for the AS. I want the mechanical aspects to work, electrical, plumbing, etc. With a shell that has no large dents. But I want to do the rest myself. I minored in art, so I want to design something interesting. I am hoping to buy a functional AS, for around 5-7 and then with the left over remodel it. I am looking at the end of September to save up the money. If something nice comes along before that, I will get a loan. But I try not to have debt. I have no credit cards.

I also want to get a husky.....eventually.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
welcome to the site! when you logged on,you hit the mother load.the amount of information about airstreams,and support is unmatched.vintage to modern,experts to novice this is the place.I 've attended more than one college in the early 70's for art ed. ,art history,and fine art.coupled with my attraction to all rolling things vintage ,this airstream site talks to me.I'm sure you will find it's collected value an inspiration . when you find your streamer ,it will be like a magnet. it will draw you in .it's hopeless,in a good way of course.It looks from your picture you are standing on the blue ridge?
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The blue ridge was actually my backyard growing up. But that was taken in New Zealand, next to Avalanche Peak. I was a backpacker guide there for a short while.

I think I am going to like this site.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I grew up in what might be called foot hills,not quite large enough to be mountains,part of the Allegheny mountains in up state ny.All along the east coast ,the blue ridge stretches north and south called by different names.The remnants of the blue ridge are in the florida panhandle as well.Torreya Park in the appalachiacola state park west of Tallahassee has a small unusual area[unusual for florida] which rises up from the river with large hardwoods.If you stood there,you'd swear it was the blue ridge.A nice place to hike in florida,and then go south and eat oysters at appalachiacola bay.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I thought the blue ridge mountains were only in PA and WVA. You learn something new everyday.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstreaming & Related Books

Greetings Streampowerd!

There are numerous books out there that either focus on Airstream or travel with Vintage RVs. My favorites include:

While not exactly about Airstreams, it is a humorous look at the travails of someone new to RVing. Set in 1951, many if not most of the situations encountered are familiar to anyone who RVs.

Another generic book, but another of my favorites. The focus of this book is from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s. Heavily illustrated including Airstreams as wellas many of the competing brands.

The focus of this book is on Airstreaming, and while not terribly long, it is a very interesting look at the lifestyle.

While not Airstream specific, the travel trailers features in this book are all raw aluminum or anondized aluminum. A very interesting look at the shiny silver trailers.

This book and its companion video share an interesting look at the collecting and enjoyment of vintage RVs.

A specific look at the Vintage Airstreams. Many of the photos are archival from Airstream and the WBCCI. There are also numerous photos of Vintage Airstreams at recent Rallys and Caravans.

One of several videos related to Airstreaming and Vintage Airstreams, this is one the is on my bookshelf and that I enjoy viewing on a regular basis.

A listing of current as well as out-of-print books about Airstreaming and Vintage RVs can be found at the Vintage Airstream Club website. Over the years, I have acquired a number of these vintage books, and each has been quite enjoyable.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
The best book you'll read are these forums. Your best guide is actually going out and getting inside of Airstreams. Being in one will tell you more than anything written. Good luck, and welcome.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I like the covers of those books. I hope my local library has got em'.

I like the forum, I have been reading a lot of the posts. I like when the info is all organized in a book though, it makes it easier.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
If you want to see a perfect airstream,locate 'an interesting video' at new posts and check out what's in the freezer.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums and the wacky world of Airstreaming...you're going to have a blast... And good luck on your quest to find the perfect Airstream for you...

This forum is the best place to be to gain information and knowledge...so you're off to a good start!

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
I agree with Hampstead 38 that the best book you can ever read is ,"these forums". From the 1st day I saw an Argosy I knew I had to have one. I found my way here and the rest is history. You can learn just about everything you want to know about Airstream and Arogsys here. If you still have questions just ask and you are pointed in the right direction. There's a wealth of information here.
Good luck with your search in finding your perfect Airstream. I started out looking for an Argosy motorhome but ended up deciding on a trailer after a lot of searching. Mine is perfect for us and we love it. Good luck in your journey and welcome to the forums!
~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Go to www.amazon.com and type in airstream. That will keep you reading for a while! Most of the above post recommendations are there as well as "Wanderlust - Airstream at 75".

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote