Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 22' Argosy 22
Frederick , Maryland
Just got a '76 Argosy 22'

Well, I didn't just get the trailer, but it was marooned in a repair place for a while. I am a newbie. I have never spent any time in a trailer or RV of any kind. I love the look of the Argosy and wanted a mobile hotel room. My trailer will mainly be a hotel room at dog shows so I can be closer to my friends with fancier rigs. No hookups at these events. While in the repair zone, I got new propane tanks, lots of new water lines, and a new hot water heater. The furnace was a health hazard so it is gone for now. I don't intend to use the trailer when it is that cold. I will probably spend the money on generators first since I have a good space heater. I can't tell if any of the lights work since I don't know what runs off the 12 volt. Any help would be appreciated. I have to investigate the valves from the wasted tanks this weekend. I think the repair place checked the tanks and the valves. I hope so.

The fun has just begun.
Gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Gambrinus -- Welcome to the Forums! Sounds like you've done your homework on the jobs to prioritize. These units are pretty easy to winterize and we have a lot of help to offer there. Your space heater will work well until a simple thermometer tells you the plumbing space along the roadside floor is getting too cold -- your furnace will keep that area much warmer in temps below the mid-20s (the furnace duct actually follows the plumbing aft).

Congrats on your choice -- I've got a 24' 1974 Argosy in storage. Always has been a nice unit!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums. Im sure you will get a lot of help from the people on here. They are an informative group!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Congrats on your first ever RV! I like the Argosys, maybe one day.
Your space heater is electric? If propane, you need to be very careful of the type you buy and use, to avoid carbon monoxide.

I believe all of your lights should run on 12 volts, the 115v plug keeps the battery charged.

It sounds like you're making good progress, enjoy.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.

Generally speaking you will find that any light or fan installed in the trailer is 12 volt DC. The furnace fan and any ceiling vent fans will also be 12 volt. If you have a tri-mode referigerator, it can run on 12 volt, 110 volt AC, or LP gas. If it is dual mode, it will run only on 110 or LP. The household type electrical outlet are 110 volt and only powered when on hook-ups or generator.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You made a good choice in the Argosy. I have a 78 24ft Argosy. I also showed Standard Poodles for about 25 years and traveled in a 22ft Caravel. Loved every minute of it. Try parking next to someone you know who's driving a big diesel rig with a generator. Always worked for me. I did have a Honda generator too, but a lot of the time I found ways to plug in on the show sites. Those overhead and over sink lights are your 12v. The outlets are 110 when you're plugged in to shore power. I don't use my central heater either, but I do have the catalytic heater on the wall. It uses no 12v power, actually no electric at all, and will keep you pretty warm. Down here in Oklahoma, we mostly worry about using AC due to the heat. Suffered through some pretty rough heat and rain at the shows. We don't have outdoor shows as a rule any longer, just not a fun thing to do around here. Good luck with your Argosy. You made a good choice.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums! What breed do you show? Of course, we'll insist you post pictures of your pups in the pet section! Oh, and pictures of your new trailer would also be nice
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 22' Argosy 22
Frederick , Maryland
Thanks for the info. I am going to get the trailer today to continue getting aquainted. It has to live about 4 miles from my house. Terriers are my group and a Border Terrier is my breed right now. She's in the home stretch of her championship. I also have a Terrier mix-the greatest dog ever. I will post some pictures. Most folks are pretty stingy with their generators at the shows I go to. At the indoor shows most of the folks are pretty nice about letting me bring my little mixed guy in for the AC. He's a charmer.
Gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote