Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'm not worthy of owning an Airstream. I let my first love slip through my fingers and land in a scrap heap. As I write this, the Ponderosa is being hauled to a junk yard. I didn't act in time to save her. 😔
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Good luck in your search. I recently got 'serious' about my attraction and have started to look as well. Hopefully by the time I get my trailer I'll have a partner to share it with!

If you haven't already, you may want to get a copy of 'The Newbies Guide To Airstreaming', it's a neat little introductory guidebook. It will be a while before I have mine but figure it can't hurt to familiarize myself while I plan my escape from DC!

Cheers
Jonathan
Wild Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Sorry, Tim. It all happens for a reason. Now go out and do your homework. I found out the hard way that you MUST know AS values so you know when to act. I found a wonderful AS. Just the model I wanted. We bid too low and boom! It was gone. onceIi educated myself, I realized a good deal and moved on it. Thus we are the owners of a wonderful AIRSTREAM! Patience, Grasshopper!! ;-)
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Is it really that much more difficult to get a tow vehicle first then find a trailer that will work with it? My car has proven quite unreliable, and may (probably will) be trading it fairly soon. And while I'm making a change, why not just get something that can pull my beautiful baby of the future? Right?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
It's not that bad getting the TV first, just try to get a good idea of the year (newer trailers are heavier, the decade is close enough) and largest size (plan the next size up from that) trailer you will get to make sure you get the right TV otherwise you could cost yourself more money or disappointment of passing up the trailer you really want.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I bought the new Airstream THEN the TV. Probably a lot of folks end up doing this. I will say that once the bug bites, the only was to assuage the bite is to just make the move. Lots of folks start small and move to a larger trailer. That makes sense, but trust me...a bit of space is very welcome on a cold and rainy day where you're stuck inside with just your partner and two basset hounds!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
TV or TT which comes first

I supposed it depends on your criteria. You can buy a TV first and recognize that it may limit what you want to tow or where you want to go. I bought an older F150 a few years ago (before we even thought about an AS), put a new engine in it and it works perfectly for the use I intended it. However, when we decided to purchase an AS we decided in the end we didn't want to use it as a TV. While it has the power to pull it, the pickup is so light I wasn't as comfortable it would stop the TT safely in an emergency, especially going down hill. We will also be crossing the rockies and going over the siskiyou pass and I really didn't want to be stuck laboring at 30 mph either. So we bought another truck. others may have a different perspective.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kokomo , Indiana
If you would like to e-mail me with your wish list, I will forward a great lead for you.
gjwalls@comcast.net
gjwalls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Zanesville , Ohio
I'm with you. I've always wanted an AS. Last year i bought mine and I love it. It's a 67 safari. Paid $4000 and went camping right out if the shut. This year we will put a little time and money and continue year after year till I'm done. I have 12 year till retirement I should be done by then. Lol good luck with the search and enjoy.
Laff67safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks for all the great responses folks. I'm learning so much and really enjoying my time on the forums and getting I touch with so elite minded people from all over. Here is a picture of our dogs for those of you who have asked. That Jaq on the left and Philomena on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3400213959.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	177093  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #31

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Cute pups! I'm glad your having fun on the forums! It's a great place to be!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We pull our 27' International with a 2010 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7L engine and it works great for us. We have been into the High Serra mountains and over the Siskiyou pass a bunch of times with no problems. The Tundra is also my daily driver and I love the truck. Having said that, if we were going to pull a 30 plus foot AS, I would want a bigger TV. Just my 2 cents worth....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
when your ready there are inspectors that will look at an Airstream for you if it's too far to see it in person, we did this and it turned out great. Have fun!

Brad and Zell
Just curious...how do you find an inspector?

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
Just curious...how do you find an inspector?

Go to the portal page (first tab under the big blue Air Forums at the top of the page)

The Inspector finder is on the right margin, scroll down for it!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Many thanks!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It has been a week since my first post on the forum. I have really enjoyed reading through all the stories and advice. I have been looking at the classifieds and asking questions and drooling over "dream streams" that I know I could never afford. It's been a lot of fun. I saw one on Craigslist not far for where I live that I'm trying to setup a time to look at this weekend.

I hope to find the right trailer soon so I can have it ready for camping season
And how are you all doing?
TIM
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #37

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
COLD! But working on our trips once it warms up! One thing you will find out once you buy your Airstream is your always thinking about it, planning your next trip, buying fun new toys for it and modifying it to suit your needs. That's why rallies are so much fun, they all look the same on the outside but super fun and different on the inside. Good luck on your search, it's almost as much fun as buying one.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I hear ya there. We have had several days in a row now where the high temperature has been below zero. But thinking of the warm weather to come and the fun I will have is getting me through.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
It has been a week since my first post on the forum. I have really enjoyed reading through all the stories and advice. I have been looking at the classifieds and asking questions and drooling over "dream streams" that I know I could never afford. It's been a lot of fun. I saw one on Craigslist not far for where I live that I'm trying to setup a time to look at this weekend.

I hope to find the right trailer soon so I can have it ready for camping season
And how are you all doing?
TIM
Cool, I hope the trailer you've found works out. Could you take some reference pics?

I found one in my area as well but it's just too big I think. Would love to be ready to go this spring. Will look around when I'm thawing out in FL next week.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
I saw one on Craigslist not far for where I live that I'm trying to setup a time to look at this weekend.

TIM
Did you get to see the trailer this weekend?