Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Sandwich , New Hampshire
just curious...

Has anyone seen this before? I wonder if there is any truth to it and if so , Is that a bad thing ?

Lucrative Private Business for Profit?

Watson
watson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Yeah this place is a business for the owner. He made a business decision to finance and build this site and he keeps paying to upgrade it too.

I hope he makes a profit or this place is gone.

You can either donate or not. Purely your choice.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
that was some interesting info. I wondered about the donations. the jokes were great
Take care
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sounds like they are a little pissed of they didn't think of it first... Hey you gotta make a living some how.. Wish I would have thought of airforums.com.... Then I could spend more time in my airstream...

I support because I receive and if someone makes a living of that, good for them, no hard feels here...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
More power to Andy. I have learned more about Airstreams from this site than any other place, and I have owed Airstreams for 14 years now. I hope he is making profit from this. The information I have gained from this site is invaluable. Donate if you wish. But, in my opinion, Andy has earned every cent. Thank you for your support.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Sandwich , New Hampshire
Thats what I thought but..

I just wanted to know more...the guy who posted it made it sound bad.
I have learned more here in 2 weeks than in the last 20 years !
Thanks
Watson
watson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
“Gee Wally, that guy sure seems angry, doesn’t he?” “Jeepers, looks that way Beaver”

“Jim”, the owner of that other site seems to have a rather large ax to grind, eh?

AndyR, the owner of this site is a completely legitimate business man. And as far as I know, he’s never passed himself off as anything other than that. This site is a business, not a “non-profit”. Again, that has always been true. I guess that other guy doesn’t understand some basic business principles. FOR profit vs. NON profit seems pretty clear to me.

At any rate, I used to be one of those “Unpaid Volunteers” that “ran Andy’s business for him without pay” blah, blah, blah. And I was very happy to do it. The time I spent as a Moderator is small payment for all of the information I’ve gleaned from this site. I could never have restored my Overlander without Airforums.

Keep it up, Andy. I hope ya make a mint!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
I think the moderators do most of the work keeping the site clean, friendly, and operating well, I may be wrong, that's just my impression.

Are they all volunteers or do they at least get some "benefits".

If they are volunteers, couldn't we find a way to "donate" to a moderator fund?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We're volunteers, and we're happy to do it for nothing. I've seen some forums that weren't so well managed, and things can get ugly without some rules being enforced. AndyR has set up a very good set of rules for the forums, and we enforce them, and luckily we don't have to do anything for 99% of the members here. The main rule is be nice to each other, and I think that comes naturally for most Airstreamers (unless you get them talking about axles)

I wouldn't have my wonderful trailer without the help I've gotten here. Well, I might have it, but it wouldn't be as wonderful as it is now. Everything I did to it, and all the great friends I've made with it, are directly a result of the forums. I'm happy to volunteer my time to the site, I don't get any compensation of any sort for it (except for a good feeling when I help someone), and I don't have any problem with AndyR making a profit from the site. I think it's a great site, and he does a great job with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I would be awash with ignorance and still looking for parts and information if this Forum was not available. Now I'm having the time of my life with two very, very nice Airstreams, one I found right here in the Classifieds. I have made some good friends here. So Andy had a great idea and is profiting from it. Heck, so did Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. This is still America isn't it? This is where folks are still free to have great ideas and make all the money they can legally make from those ideas. I didn't have to donate, but I thought I would because I've gained from this site and I paid a little back for all I've gotten.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Profit or Non-Profit, doesn't matter to me. The knowledge I've gained by being a supporting member has far outweighed the cost of my "donation".

I've spent hours searching the various sub forums for tidbits of information and I'm sure I'll continue to spend untold hours looking for answers to problems that I have with each of our Airstreams. I also find it enjoyable to be able to answer a question posted by someone else. It makes me feel like I have in a small way paid back those thousands of other posters for their help.

Very few if any forums will last long if the owner doesn't make some sort of profit. It costs money to maintain a high speed connection and the servers required to host a forum such as this.

Thanks Andy, enjoy your travels .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Profit or Non-Profit, doesn't matter to me. The knowledge I've gained by being a supporting member has far outweighed the cost of my "donation".d
I can agree with that but if it is for profit then there really is no excuse for it taking months to get the stickers.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sounds a little PO'd don't he.

And who is the richest man in the country, are we supposed to be pissed at him too.

More power to Andy, and keep your WAD grow'n.

As far as the mods go, just keep up the GOOD work.

No hard feelings here.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I doubt anyone here has hard feeling if Andy makes money of this site.... Someone is just pissed they didn't think of it.... Darn anti capitalists..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I've see this guy's whining before...it hit me as so much bunk and/or sour grapes oph his part. This site would not be here without Andy seeing that it is and I think it's great if he can make a buck from it...more power to him! We are not forced to contribute. We do it because we feel we get far more than our contributions amount to...at least I do. Keep up the great work, Andy...and Moderators, too!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I can agree with that but if it is for profit then there really is no excuse for it taking months to get the stickers.
The person in charge of mailing the stickers is another volunteer. He uses his free time (and he has a full-time job as well) to get them out to you. If you don't get them in a reasonable time, let one of the mods know, we have had issues with the ordering and upgrading before, and yours may have gotten lost under a pile of stale electrons somewhere.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I'm lost?

Hi, what's the point? My understanding of this article was that there were "1.5 Million hits" and one miss. If this person doesn't like Andy or his forums he doesn't have to visit them much less donate.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Atta boy Andy

I've learned how to make many repairs on my Airstream. This could'nt have been done as cheaply without the advice of the many Airforumiars out there. I've even fixed items with Andy's free hints. My donation was given with a smile on my face.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I sent the guy an email. not rude at all, just saying it is a free forum, he doesn't have to use it if he doesn't want to... That I received invaluable information from it and thats why I support it... But don't understand his whining, as it doesn't say it's a non-profit.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
having been the host for a small forum for quite a few years i'll put my .02 in.

any forum takes a lot of time and effort. advertising does not pay much these days. a forum as well run as this takes more of the above plus $$$$.
i pay to host that forum i have and to keep it ad free but the usage is minimal. if you can have a site this large, busy and wonderful and you make money on it, it is well deserved! when andy r starts trading in a 34' slide-out every year for a new one, i'll reconsider donating, but i probably would anyway because i'd like a set of stickers!

p.s. i happened to start visiting another site that is also a "social knowledge" site. it is nothing like this site but i hope someday it will be!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote