Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Modesto , California
Just about there

Hello all,
Just put a deposit down on a 07 Safari 20`. Having some second thoughts as there seems to be some dissension on single vs dual axles. We love the rear kitchen floorplan that opens up the 20`....and with our 06 F-150 crew cab with 5.4 Triton, we are comfortable with the towing specs. The Dealer is installing the Equalizer (brand name) and prodigy controller. Do we need to be concerned that the trailer only has one axle?
Sure would appreciate feedback on this topic...thanks in advance!
Gravelcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. There are plusses to having a two axle trailer, and unless it has been discontinued, the 22' is available with a rear kitchen. The 22 seems to have more room in it than the 2 foot extra length would indicate.
If the 20' coach is enough for you, and you are happy with it, there is nothing wrong with that size. A tire pressure monitoring system would be a good idea, single axle trailers are more critical as far as tires.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I wouldn't worry...

go with what you like. There have been single axle trailers for forever!

I believe the 22ft has been discontinued....

A huge downside to the 22ft Safari (if you found one, they're around, just have to look) is that the wheel well intrudes into the dinette - you don't have that problem with the 20. Also, the 20 has nice big windows at the dinette, the 22 doesn't. The 20 ft with the LS and SE package has the nice International windows and wrap arounds -

I say go for it and be happy!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Good Rubber

Welcome gravel; Just keep good rubber on that baby,monitor pressure and drive to stay alive. Why don't you join the crowd at Casini Ranch Forum Rally in 25 days? You would get to meet a lot of AS folks, a lot have single axle rigs and I'm sure would be willing to share their stories. Hey we're only about 40 miles apart. Anyway if you can't make the rally maybe you could just take the 150 mile drive on saturday to poke around and crash the pot luck. 35 trailers signed up so far!! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
There have been single axle trailers forever. Don't worry just do what you should do anyway. Check your tires daily during trips and keep the airpressure where it should be.

The only thing you should worry about is when and where you are goin caming. Be nice to see you at Casini. Come on up and join the party. We'll save a space at the table for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Gravelcrunch,

We went with the 2007 20' Safari SE/LS!

It tows nicely with my 2006 F150 SC 5.4L 4x4; the prodigy is very effective, and we have a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch -- this setup works just great.

The F150 is a compromise between a daily driver and towing the trailer. When towing I'd love to have one of the new super duty diesels for sure!

Cheers from San Diego,
-jd.