Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
It's time to get into an RV

After years of procrastinating and looking at RV's I have decided its finally time to get one. I think Im going to start with a 30 foot airstream, dinette with a full bed, and do some weekend trips to the Northeast. My wife and I are still working but the kids are out of the house. I'm big into Nascar and go to the races a few times year but may try in in an A/S once I find one. My thoughts are to find a early to middle 90's excella, or similar, for the first one. Nothing new just yet until I learn how to do all this!! I have a Duramax Chevy Crew 2500HD so I think that part is covered, and I have been towing race cars for years so I can get a trailer around, but I have no clue to RV'ing, so any help would be appreciated!
Nice to be here.

Joe
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Joe, and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a good idea of which Airstream you are looking for. We are partially retired with kids and grandkids close around us-an interesting stage of life. As you can see from our signature, we have a '95 Classic Limited, 30', and we love it. Ours had been well cared for, new oak floor put in, sheltered. She had just been on an Alaska trip, but weathered it well when we bought her. Mid 90's can be fine beginning trailers-usually "parts" are still working well so not as much revamping is necessary as with more vintage coaches. Two problems we have run into that are fairly common with mid 90's: ceiling liner droop and fading/peeling clear coat. The ceiling droop comes from a foam-type ceiling covering that comes loose from the aluminum underneath in some units. If you look up the key words in the search tool above, you can see how some people have remedied the situation. Clear coat is just a cosmetic exterior skin issue that some of us (!) ignore and others choose to remove and then polish. Anyway, the trailers are great! Happy hunting and ask questions or use the search tool here--loads of information on this forum! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
welcome aboard joe

i think your choice of '90's excella is a good one, i have a '92 29 footer. pre wide body, no headliner problems and modern pilotless appliances.

i think it is the perfect size, just big enough for two to full time and just small enough for weekend getaways.

good luck in your search!

john