Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
It followed us home...

A couple weeks ago I posted that we were looking. We'd been looking at the classif-ads, closed auctions, etc. and had a pretty good idea of what was available and realistic prices, and found a 2-owner 31' excella. Was a little nervous over the length at first, but that lasted about 3 miles. It pulls very nicely, possibly the lowest stress combination except maybe the pop-up/Expedition set.
We (all four) piled into it for both Fri & Sat nights, and are trying to figure out if we can go again this coming weekend.
(if anyone asks, the Chevy 1500HD w/3.73 seems more than adequate for a mid-80's 31' Airstream, at least in Indiana).
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Pictures

Congratulations,
Everyone, well lots of the folks, actually I love to see pictures.
I will be posting pictures as soon as I decide which camera to buy.
Well, when I figure out what to do to post pictures.
This forum has a great bunch of people to talk Airstreams.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
A couple weeks ago I posted that we were looking. We'd been looking at the classif-ads, closed auctions, etc. and had a pretty good idea of what was available and realistic prices, and found a 2-owner 31' excella. Was a little nervous over the length at first, but that lasted about 3 miles. It pulls very nicely, possibly the lowest stress combination except maybe the pop-up/Expedition set.
Congrats RedSHED! Sounds like you've set yourself up for a good experience! Watch your axles and bearings and I'm sure you'll bring it along just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
(if anyone asks, the Chevy 1500HD w/3.73 seems more than adequate for a mid-80's 31' Airstream, at least in Indiana).
Specs for freeways provide fairly forgiving inclines. We midwesterners might think that we're nearly 1000 miles from trouble, but my experience has been that 2 lane highways in Pennsylvania or West Virginia can push you beyond the max -- install a tranny temp gauge if you are prudent. Be careful and your current combination should hold up just fine. Be realistic and do the numbers on hitch weight/TV load capacity when you reach TV replacement though. The 1500HD is rather more capable than a normal 1/2-tonner. Good show!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote