Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Columbia , New Jersey
Introductory Post

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and excited about getting my first airstream. My plan is to travel with it and also maybe have it located at nearby vacation spots while not traveling like lakes, mountains and beach areas. I want to keep it small so I’m looking in the 25 and under category. Ive watched hours and hours of YouTube videos on maintenance, things to consider, etc, but any tips would be very much appreciated to help me with my search.

Thanks for any help and I’m looking forward to participating in the forums and joining the airstream community.

Chris
Ccwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Thanks

Interested and pretty much in Chris’s position as well.

Finding the quality issues as I look so far pretty shocking considering the price point...
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As to quality, well, there are folks driving units off the lot that have real problems. Is it some, is it most, is it all? No way to tell by the results on a forum or a Google search because the unhappy folks post and the happy campers generally don't.

So, a good way to start out in this Airstreaming thing is to buy a gently used unit, one that will suit your current needs. Have it thoroughly inspected by a neutral third party prior to purchase. Have it leak tested by one of the numerous RV shops that have a SealTech machine. Get everything running.

Go camping. Find out what you like about what you bought, what you don't like. Decide if you are going to modify your new purchase or are you going to trade up or down or give up the RV thing altogether (a lot of folks do quit fairly early on).

Go camping some more.

Brand new, shiny, all kinds of gadgetry looks great on the showroom floor. Not so great if you can't retract your electric awning or get hot water at the shower, no a/c...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Hi Chris, welcome! The 25', especially the 25 FBT, as Flying Cloud, International, or Globetrotter is an excellent choice. I would advise though, to keep in mind that these 25's feature a real-world 1100 lb. tongue weight, so size your tow vehicle accordingly. Happy camping
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum.

You need to read about AS quality issues so they will not be a surprise to you. You need to decide on new vs used vs vintage. That will help folks provide you with valid advice. Those three worlds are considerably different.

Issue one is ducted AC vs central AC and dual AC vs single. That may point you.
Issue two is queen vs twin vs corner bed. Another pointer in your search.

Issue three is size. A 25 is standard, but carries a lot of weight on the tongue. The rear bed is reported to balance better. Look as well at the 26 and 27. The 26 has the shower and bath in the same room, but separate. The 27 has a N/S bed configuration. The smaller coaches have advantages and disadvantages. Don't fall in love with cute. Know you can make it work.

Issue four is tow vehicle. Best is the vehicle that provides towing capability that you need and will work for day to day requirements. Great if you already own it and do not need to trade.

Issue five is that the AS is not a four season trailer. Work out if that is acceptable or a problem. The ribs that separate the inner and outer skins provide a direct t thermal path for heat or cold. Most AS owners use their coach in areas that are temperate. When it gets cold they move South. When it turns hot, they move North or to higher elevation.

Key on most everything is to know thy self.

The rumor is that the RV industry may be slowing down. That could be true or just wishful thinking. However, be mindful of opportunity and risk as you investigate your opportunities. Same may be true for the auto industry if economic slow down goes deep.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Columbia , New Jersey
Thanks all for the welcome and tips. I’m thinking gently used is the way to go. I understand there are quality issues at times but there is with evening I suppose.

I currently have a Ram 1500 which has some years on it but am thinking of getting a 2500 when I upgrade. Still debating gas vs diesel.

Question for anyone and everyone... I’ve rejected out to a few owners that have airstreams for sale on the classifieds and have not heard back from anyone. Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong? I’m guessing there are a lot of people that aren’t serious and waste sellers’ times so is there a code word to let people know I’m serious?

Thanks all for your help on my journey.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Welcome to The Asylum as One of Our Members Likes to Say

Feel free to ask questions about New vs. Used, Used vs. Vintage.
We just purchased Airstream #6 New. Before that:
1966 Vintage 24
2007 Same as New Classic 30
1976 Very Used Sovereign 31
2000 Same as New Safari 27
1976 Very Used Safari 23
Before that
1976 New SOB
1974 Lightly Used SOB
It's not an interest, it's an affliction.
Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid to turn away from Airstream.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Two thoughts:

I have diesel. Works great. But, $80 bucks worth of fuel filters every 10k miles. $80 oil changes every ~8k miles. DEF fluid every 1800 miles or so. All these prices are with me doing the labor. Many, if not most, diesel fuel pumps feature a lovely semi-permanent puddle of diesel fuel so you can enjoy the aroma all day.

My first TV was a big honking gasoline V8. Did everything my diesel does although at higher RPM.

if I had to do it over again, I would go gas...

As to Airstream Classifieds, I feel your pain. Was seriously looking last spring to fleet up from my 1986 Sovereign. Messaged three different sellers, got zero responses. Don't know why they didn't even offer a negative response...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yes, I too have a diesel and if a tornado took it away, I would replace it with a gasser. I do like the engine brakes and massive torque and....
But as a daily driver it is too much. It is paid for so I will keep it, but having settled in Florida, I will probably get a fiat sized daily driver.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Columbia , New Jersey
Thanks - that’s really helpful on the gas versus diesel. I would like to stay with a gas hemi so I really appreciate the honest feedback.

Still totally perplexes me that classified ad requests go unanswered. I’ll keep plugging away.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Some number of classified Airstream ads are scams. The scammers don't always respond, and will invariably drop communications if they find you are ready and willing to have a friend at the advertised location inspect the advertised Airstream in person. They may also break communications if you ask for more pictures or a specific picture.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccwomack View Post
Thanks all for the welcome and tips. I’m thinking gently used is the way to go. I understand there are quality issues at times but there is with evening I suppose.

I currently have a Ram 1500 which has some years on it but am thinking of getting a 2500 when I upgrade. Still debating gas vs diesel.

Question for anyone and everyone... I’ve rejected out to a few owners that have airstreams for sale on the classifieds and have not heard back from anyone. Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong? I’m guessing there are a lot of people that aren’t serious and waste sellers’ times so is there a code word to let people know I’m serious?

Thanks all for your help on my journey.
Ccwomack, I agree with the others thoughts on going with gas. We had a ‘19 Ram 1500 and traded up to a ‘19 Ram 2500 because we needed more payload. I debated to go Diesel but you loose ~900 lbs. vs. the Hemi.

We just returned from a 2500 mile trip to Colorado towing a 27’ Globetrotter. The 6.4 Hemi and 8 speed did great even in the mountains. We felt the extra 1000 lbs of truck made it feel more “planted” vs. the 1500.

If we were towing a 5th wheel or 10,000 lbs trailer I’d go for a Ram 3500 Cummins (regain the payload lost in the 2500 Diesel). Our gas 2500 has 2940 lbs payload vs. the 1500’s 1220 lbs. payload.

If you never think you’ll go bigger than a 25’ Airstream, you’d be fine with the 1500. In our case the 2500 was piece of mind and it proved to be true. By the way, the fuel consumption was the same between the 5.7 and the 6.4!

Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	690830D0-2F19-4DE8-AB34-0AB798CF74F2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	350637   Click image for larger version

Name:	A32AFDA1-D6D5-4AFC-B0D3-1B32CEFA0C1E.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	350638  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
ccwomack, i agree with the others thoughts on going with gas. We had a ‘19 ram 1500 and traded up to a ‘19 ram 2500 because we needed more payload. I debated to go diesel but you loose ~900 lbs. Vs. The hemi.

We just returned from a 2500 mile trip to colorado towing a 27’ globetrotter. The 6.4 hemi and 8 speed did great even in the mountains. We felt the extra 1000 lbs of truck made it feel more “planted” vs. The 1500.

If we were towing a 5th wheel or 10,000 lbs trailer i’d go for a ram 3500 cummins (regain the payload lost in the 2500 diesel). Our gas 2500 has 2940 lbs payload vs. The 1500’s 1220 lbs. Payload.

If you never think you’ll go bigger than a 25’ airstream, you’d be fine with the 1500. In our case the 2500 was piece of mind and it proved to be true. By the way, the fuel consumption was the same between the 5.7 and the 6.4!

Happy camping!
sweet rig!!!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote