Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Introduction

I still feel new to all of this, even though this will be my third summer as owner of a 2005, 16-foot Bambi (International). I bought it in new in Eugene, Ore., even though I live in California, because I found a dealer who had one with wrap-around windows, front and back. So far, I've traveled in Oregon, down the eastern side of the Sierra and to beaches and campgrounds in the greater Bay Area. In another week, I'll head for a month of camping in Washington and then return for a month in the Sierra.

I am 63, live in Berkeley, teach journalism at Diablo Valley College and usually travel solo with my dog. I also belong to Rainbow RV and RV Women. I'm gaining increasing confidence, although backing up is still a challenge. Looking forward to learning much more and hope to travel to the Yukon and Alaska with the Bambi, perhaps in 2008.

Jean
jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forums. Be sure and check the rally calendar periodically. We have an active bunch of streamers in the NW and have several informal get togethers each year.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hi Jean and welcome. I know my info shows I live in TX but I live in San Francisco. Have you been to Wright's Beach on the Sonomo Coast???Great...Most all have trouble backing, so join the crowd,,,joe,,,
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Welcome to the Northern California contingent, Jean. Keep an eye out for informal forum rallies in this area.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Jean,, welcome,,, i too have the backing up problem with my Bambi, think the key is to turn sharp and fast,, straighten it up and quickly put it in place,,,, if you wait and give it a chance,,, the single axle will start to turn on you,. let me know if this helps, am in the northwest also,, when you find any back up clues, please pass them on,,, best,, dieterdog
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the backing tip. I'll get lots of practice this summer. And yes, Wright's Beach is a great place to camp in Northern California, especially the sites that front the ocean.

Thanks for all the welcoming greetings.

Jean
jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hi Jean, thanks for writing. Your trailer sounds great.

Tom, and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Solution to 'backing' problems!!!

Not really!

Jean!

Welcome - I think I might have a solution to your backing problem. Get a longer trailer - possibly a double axle! This will lengthen your hitch point / axle distance and that will eliminate a lot of the issue you are having with your current AS reacting so fast to all inputs.

Then again your AS is great too!!! Just don't back up!

It's all in how you approach these issues, don't you think?!

All the best, and again, Welcome!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Hi Jean and welcome, love your region, once took a trip from Mendociono to Frisco. Ah those beaches!

Backing up: find big, big, empty parking lot, and practice! (I still have trouble with our flat bed trailer...!)

Happy trails, Claudie
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome Jean! Thank you for putting me onto Rainbow RV! I just looked at their website and it looks great. Be sure to post pics of your trailer and a pic of your pup in the pet section would also be great!

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote