Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Send a message via Yahoo to jgbyler
Intro - New member

Hello - My name is Janet and I am joining this forum as a way to help me from square one with a 1971 Streamline Regency Gold I'm getting from my 88 year young uncle with whom I used to camp (families) so often in the past. I can't find any other forums devoted to the silver "stream" trailers and I need some help. The 23' unit is in very good condition except it needs new sub-flooring in the front, could use an air conditioner, and my uncle has said that the plumbing/waste outlets on the outside/front of the trailer (came standard with the trailer) are not the same as what's used today...so I need some help from people who know what those standards are and what I will need to do to fix up the unit. He is a pretty meticulous person so whatever he could do to keep something in perfect shape, he did. He did tell me that some of the seams on the trailer had failed and the unit used to leak. He's had it under an aluminum covered porch for the last 20 years he hasn't used it!, so it's been preserved really well. I will most likely have to reseal seams...which I'd done in my previous 26' trailer I lost in the divorce... (replaced the whole roof actually).

We used to camp all over California together. I hope to get the unit up and running soon so that I can take him and his dog on a camping trip again. I know he would love that.

Thank you all for any and all input you might offer me. I am a true newbie when it comes to these kinds of trailers but I am not a "total" newbie to camping or trailering in newer trailers.
jgbyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Welcome, Janet! How extremely cool that you will have something to remind you of all those cool memories of camping with your uncle! I'm not a whole lot of help with your trailer, but I often go through Santa Cruz, hope to meet up on the road sometime soon!

Zina

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Greetings, and welcome!

There are some current and former Silver Streak and Streamline owners on here, so hopefully people with specific experience will be able to share that with you.

The first thought I had about the plumbing outlets that you mentioned is that they may be the same ones from Airstreams of the same era, Thetford connectors rather than the currently popular Valterra connectors. If they're Thetford, nearly any RV store will have connectors and adapters for you. My '75 Argosy has Thetford valves and a Thetford outlet, and I haven't had a problem finding parts.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums! We love photos and nothing more than ones of Silver Cousins!

Keep us posted...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdee and welcome to Airforums.com, Janet! We are glad to have you here, and are eager to help you to get that wonderful trailer up and running to your satisfaction.

And as Vernon mentioned, we are even More eager to see your TT (Travel trailer)! So if you have any, just post away with them.

There's another Janet here that you will very likely see around the board, she's a Moderator who has posted many help items and hints for newcomers both to the forum and to trailering.

In particular, I would like to point out the checklist she put up, where you can make an extremely detailed list of everything you want to do to your trailer.

You can get to it right here.

Fill it out and you can start to list the "must-dos" for your trailer. It will also give you a very good tour of your trailer.

Cheers,
Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Thank you kind responders! I feel so relieved to have you helping me... I don't feel alone amidst the forest now.

I have photos but I don't quite know where to post them yet. I took only a couple of "frontal" photos since the trailer is in a lean-to/carport made specially for it... Believe me when I say I cannot wait to get my hands on the unit to get it working and ready for vacation! (I'd taken my uncle to the hospital on 12/23 for an emergency appendectomy, which ended up being quite complex where they had to take small and large intestines with it due to where the rupture was...He remained in the hospital for two weeks fighting some infections, but now he's out and down in Southern Calif with his daughter for a couple of weeks while ambulating and when he gets back, I will get to go through the trailer with him, relive memories, and plan for a trip together! He is the coolest man...and we both love our animals...we are so similar...)

Thank you so much, again. I am truly excited to post pics and get this show on the road. (After this has sat for so long, is there a treatment recommended for cleaning up the aluminum on the exterior? Just curious...or does one just let it be?)

Have a fabulous day!

Janet
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Success! I posted the front picture of the Streamline in my profile...looks like it's missing part of the "S"... it will be a small treasure hunt for that...later! I have other pics and it looks like I have to put them on a webpage somewhere with a URL in order for people to see them... Stay tuned while I explore that...
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbyler
(After this has sat for so long, is there a treatment recommended for cleaning up the aluminum on the exterior? Just curious...or does one just let it be?)
Post a new thread with some pics in the exterior forums; they'll help you id any kinds of damage and tell you if it needs any special treatment.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you put the photos somewhere like Photobucket, you can put links to each photo in a post using the button that's yellowish with mountain triangles on the bottom and a little square "sun." It says "Insert Image" if you point at it and leave the arrow there for a moment.

That way you don't have a per-post or total attachment limit, and you don't have to resize the photos.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Try this link. Vintage Logos I have a 66 Streamline Duke. Really like it.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm sorry to be late to the welcome!!

A Streamline is likely the least appreciated of the famous aerodynamic aluminum trailers, but very likely the best from a technical standpoint (or, what matters most).

Now, the fact that it was owned by a family member and features in your childhood is rather the dream of any vehicle enthusiast be it car, boat, airplane, travel trailer or other. There is, then, literally no end to the depths one can make connections to a vehicle with in that vein.

There is more than enough information around here for you to take your time with (literally, dozens if not hundreds of hours of reading) in planning how to restore to best use your lovely new trailer.

A vehicle of this sort -- unlike as a joke as with Harley-Davidson for the money and time spent -- is also a family asset. A home when all else is unavailable. Matters not at all whether that is by choice or circumstance. Work with permanence in mind. Spend as if it is a house . . not a toy. It is not easy to replicate the quality of the original otherwise.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote