Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
InOverHisHead from Metro Detroit

Hello there, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to do a quick introduction. I live in the metro Detroit area and just recently embarked upon our first Airstream project!!! I definitely feel in over my head, but every time I read the forums I feel more and more at ease. I am just an average individual and a DIY-lite type of guy... you know, the type of guy who thinks he could build a house if he had the time, but takes 6 hours to replace a light fixture (true story). Anyways, I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here!

A little about my project:
I bought a 1962 Tradewind Land Yacht 24' that was completely gutted. The PO got rid of the entire interior and replaced the subfloor and had aspirations of renovating it, but the gut job completely drained all of his energy and will. I get to collect on all of his sweat equity and pick up where he left off! It has brand new running gear (axle, tires, breaks), new marine-grade subfloor, and about $800 worth of parts (astrodome, fantastic fans, fixtures, etc.). Biggest issue (at least that I've read about) is that the trailer comes with no interior skins. So I've read that to be one of the toughest things to replicate, is the end cap interior skins.

Anyways... where there is a will there's a way. I will take it a step at a time and document all my successes and failures here as things progress. First step in AA (Airstreams Anonymous) is to admit you have an addiction, and I'm here to admit it. Now the next step, for me at least, is to water tight the outer shell from the inside.

OH.... And on top of all of this, I have to get the interior ready for remodeling by December, which seems like a lot of time right? Except I can only work on this when the wife isn't home or off sight somewhere because she won't know about this until her birthday in December. So wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	267833   Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	267834  

InOvrHisHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Good Luck!

Ok, I will be the first to wish you luck. I assume you are storing it at a friend's house or similar secret location. I grew up in Grosse Pointe Park and graduated from GPSHS so you are in my old stomping grounds.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Inovr,

That sounds fantastic. She will be so excited to finish it with you.

The great thing about no inner skins is you can seal all the seams and rivets, easily check for leaks and run wires.

You will likely not be done by December but that doesn't mean you can't do a birthday driveway overnight.

A futon or bed, little table, chairs and some lanterns and youve got a great birthday gift.

Welcome to aa.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Best wishes!

I hope your wife doesn't think the worst of all of your absent hours!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Ok, I will be the first to wish you luck. I assume you are storing it at a friend's house or similar secret location. I grew up in Grosse Pointe Park and graduated from GPSHS so you are in my old stomping grounds.
Wow!!!! What a small world!!!! What year did you graduate south?!?! I too grew up in the park and graduated from the good old GPS! I assume you also went to Pierce (PMS Trojans!!!)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Hit, thanks for the warm welcome! I hope I'm at least close by December since it's just putting flooring in and the skins and electrical. But nonetheless, you are right, it will be a great gift as is!

Thiss, thanks for the welcome as well! Yes I thought of that issue lol. Don't really have a work around other than using my gym time to do the work. I'll have an hour here and there I guess and those will add up to a lot of hours right?!?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
A couple of folks here on the forum have built their own 13 panel endcaps. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go. The rest of the interior panels are super easy. Take the time now to see if the new floor was installed properly, bolts thru the C channel and the plywood and the outriggers with nuts on the bottom. It's tempting to use self tapping screws but in my experience that is a shortcut and stands a chance of failing.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Since you are planning to finish in about six months, I am assuming that you are retired or unemployed? Most complete redo projects take between 1,000 and 2,000 hours to complete - that's working time, not elapsed time!

I would suggest that you first take the artificial time pressure of a December completion off the table or you risk getting frustrated and then we will see yet another "restoration ready" Airstream for sale in metro-Detroit.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
HiHo, the 13 panel idea was my plan. Thanks for the encouragement! Great idea on checking the c channels. I did find some area where the outter shell wasn't attached to the c channel and caused a gap that I will need to address.

Bob, I am neither retired or unemployed. Quite far away from both. A very ambitious 30 year old that essentially works beyond full time and has 2 kids (perhaps a little too ambitious). Let me clarify, I just want the outside sealed, insulated, inner skins up and electrical by December. I don't plan on doing the electrical myself and hiring it out, but everything else will be me. Then doing the rest of the interior by May or June. Is that a more achievable goal? I sure hope so lol
Old 07-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOvrHisHead View Post
Wow!!!! What a small world!!!! What year did you graduate south?!?! I too grew up in the park and graduated from the good old GPS! I assume you also went to Pierce (PMS Trojans!!!)
I am a 1984 South grad. Still have family in the Park...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Small World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I am a 1984 South grad. Still have family in the Park...
I graduated exactly 20 years later. Such a small world we live in. I even moved down to Texas for 3 years but the Grosse Pointe bubble dragged me back home. It's actually possible you graduated with my dad or uncle, I think one of them graduated in 1984.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Good use of gym time!

That is a really cool project you have. If giving a woman a cool vintage Airstream ain't love, then I don't know what it is!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Glad to see another Michigan Airstreamer.
Good luck with your project!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Good use of gym time!

That is a really cool project you have. If giving a woman a cool vintage Airstream ain't love, then I don't know what it is!
LOL Right?!?!?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Glad to see another Michigan Airstreamer.
Good luck with your project!
Thanks Dingo! I'm gonna need all the luck I can get. Love Cadillac, spent many days/nights there at Caberfae over the years!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
If you folks get up this way with trailer in tow do look me up.
I'd enjoy seeing the finished product.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Grosse Pointe , Michigan
Definitely take you up on that in lets hope not 5 years lol. If you're ever in the metro Detroit area please do come by as well. Would love to see what a correctly built air looks like��
Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I've had mine 7 years. Never started the floor redo until 2 years ago. I'm not in a hurry, obviously.
There really is no goal date to have it done. I don't need the disappointment when I can't make my own deadline.
Having the garage built to house the project was the best thing I could have done. All the tools can stay with it and the parts and pieces.
Then it's not like starting over every time I go to work on it. That part got frustrating.
Anyhow yes, I get your way I will look you up as well.
Again good luck with your project!