Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cary , North Carolina
In the research phase

I hope everyone is having a great day. I just joined the forum as part of my research. I am a veteran teacher of 23 years, and I’m beginning my research in Airstream life. Maybe it’s motivation to look forward to retirement. I live in the Triangle area of North Carolina, and I enjoy traveling between the coast and the mountains. I’ve always been inspired by the lines and shine of Airstream trailers, and I can’t imagine pulling anything else. I realize there’s so much to learn, but I have time.
ShaneL1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneL1969 View Post
I hope everyone is having a great day. I just joined the forum as part of my research. I am a veteran teacher of 23 years, and I’m beginning my research in Airstream life. Maybe it’s motivation to look forward to retirement. I live in the Triangle area of North Carolina, and I enjoy traveling between the coast and the mountains. I’ve always been inspired by the lines and shine of Airstream trailers, and I can’t imagine pulling anything else. I realize there’s so much to learn, but I have time.
Go visit OODM - Out of Doors Mart. Take a napkin to catch the drool, but leave your checkbook, credit cards, etc. AT HOME! Sticker shock is going to happen, big time.

I always recommend that first timers buy gently used. I also recommend that you join the owners club, just for the reality check experienced people can give you. I got a great used one because the first owner probably went into shock when he found out what he had to do to "maintain his waste disposal system".... uh, poop doesn't magically disappear, and the drain hose doesn't run uphill. (Probably had the $4,000 hi tech toilet in his homethat literally wiped and blew dry his buttocks )

Saving money because you live in an RV. Uh, well not generally. If you live well within your means in a house, you CAN do the same thing in a trailer. You can also overspend your income either way just as easily.

Fun. Well 2020 is atypical, but it can get lonely on the road. If you are a recluse, work on that first. IF you are an extrovert with lots of good gossip, come park next to me!
Old 12-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hello and welcome aboard.

Make sure you and your partner (If one exists) Both can.

. Fit comfortably on the bed.

. Fit comfortably on the commode with the ability to. Close the door. Have elbow room for the "Paperwork."

. Can move around the trailer easily together.

Floorplan is everything on these trailers and Airstream has a lot of floorpans. Get the one that works for you.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
We are fairly new at Airstream life too so I cannot advise you as well as some of the long timers on this forum. I can say that I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum site in a short time. It’s an invaluable resource. Use it wisely. Are you planning to eventually full time on the road or will you be a weekender / occasional long trip taker? That will weigh heavily on what you ultimately decide. We are in the occasional use group but I have already found things that I wish I had done differently. I guess that’s inevitable though, especially for first timers.
In addition to the great comments above, I will add that if you decide to buy new, that you really should shop multiple dealers. Look for 5 rivet dealers with decent reviews. We found a 20% price difference among dealers in 4 different states. We wound up driving 7 hours away to get the best deal. I mean, you are buying a trailer that you could conceivably drive across the country with. What’s a little drive time in order to get what you want at the best price. Note that any certified Airstream dealer will service your unit.
Good luck!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:38 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Go visit OODM - Out of Doors Mart. Take a napkin to catch the drool, but leave your checkbook, credit cards, etc. AT HOME! Sticker shock is going to happen, big time.

I always recommend that first timers buy gently used. I also recommend that you join the owners club, just for the reality check experienced people can give you. I got a great used one because the first owner probably went into shock when he found out what he had to do to "maintain his waste disposal system".... uh, poop doesn't magically disappear, and the drain hose doesn't run uphill. (Probably had the $4,000 hi tech toilet in his homethat literally wiped and blew dry his buttocks )

Saving money because you live in an RV. Uh, well not generally. If you live well within your means in a house, you CAN do the same thing in a trailer. You can also overspend your income either way just as easily.

Fun. Well 2020 is atypical, but it can get lonely on the road. If you are a recluse, work on that first. IF you are an extrovert with lots of good gossip, come park next to me!

Thanks for the reply. I fully intend to buy used when I am ready. I’ve watched a few renovation vintage Airstream videos on YouTube, and I’m sure that degree DIY is way outside my skill set. I’m somewhat handy and willing to learn, but I’ll be buying something I can use right away. I’m excited about going to the lot and exploring different rigs.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:41 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hello and welcome aboard.

Make sure you and your partner (If one exists) Both can.

. Fit comfortably on the bed.

. Fit comfortably on the commode with the ability to. Close the door. Have elbow room for the "Paperwork."

. Can move around the trailer easily together.

Floorplan is everything on these trailers and Airstream has a lot of floorpans. Get the one that works for you.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the advice Wally. I’m a pretty big guy 6’1” and my wife is tiny. We both have a list of necessities. For me the bathroom has to be large enough for me to get in and out of. Excited about walking around in a few to see what’s out there.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
We are fairly new at Airstream life too so I cannot advise you as well as some of the long timers on this forum. I can say that I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum site in a short time. It’s an invaluable resource. Use it wisely. Are you planning to eventually full time on the road or will you be a weekender / occasional long trip taker? That will weigh heavily on what you ultimately decide. We are in the occasional use group but I have already found things that I wish I had done differently. I guess that’s inevitable though, especially for first timers.
In addition to the great comments above, I will add that if you decide to buy new, that you really should shop multiple dealers. Look for 5 rivet dealers with decent reviews. We found a 20% price difference among dealers in 4 different states. We wound up driving 7 hours away to get the best deal. I mean, you are buying a trailer that you could conceivably drive across the country with. What’s a little drive time in order to get what you want at the best price. Note that any certified Airstream dealer will service your unit.
Good luck!

Thanks so much. I hope you are enjoying your camp life. We have lots to figure out with all this stuff, but I know we’ll have a home base. We”ll have to figure out trips around work schedule, school schedule and what we can do online.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneL1969 View Post
Thanks so much. I hope you are enjoying your camp life. We have lots to figure out with all this stuff, but I know we’ll have a home base. We”ll have to figure out trips around work schedule, school schedule and what we can do online.
I would highly recommend you find the local unit of the AS Club (https://airstreamclub.org/) and connect with some members. You will most likely be invited to attend a rally (assuming they are currently having rallies) and you can network with members. Even without joining. You might even find someone who is planning on selling, or trading, in the near future. The club is a great resource! Use it!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Shane, I’m with Hans. All the rallies we’ve attended have an open house day. A lot of people would walk through the rally and view the many different floor plans Airstream offered. One guy I remembered was primarily interested in the size of the shower. I know that many rallies have been cancelled, but maybe in the Spring they will crank back up. It’s a good way to view how Airstream changed the interiors over the years. Good luck and stay safe.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome.

I think as you look at different models, one good way to evaluate is to look at not just attributes, but also what I like to call Limiting Factors.

All Airstreams have Limiting Factors. They are what limits how you can use that particular model or why you may want to choose something else.

For example, water capacity is a big limiting factor. The 16 has a combined gray/black tank, which can limit how long you can use it without dumping. A 22 has a larger water capacity and separate gray and black tanks, extending usage. But not as much water capacity as a 23 or 25. How many users and what kind of usage can impact what water capacity you will find too limiting.

Bed length is a limiting factor. Climb-over beds vs walk around is a limiting factor. Number of beds is a limiting factor. Unit weight, since it dictates tow vehicle requirements, is a limiting factor. Unit length can be a limiting factor, especially if you plan to store at home. Food prep surface area is a limiting factor. Oven vs microwave vs both is a limiting factor. Panty size is a limiting factor. Shower space, toilet usage space are limiting factors.

As you look at the different model options, be sure to consider these areas, because these are often the reason people become dissatisfied and trade to a different model.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Have fun with the research! It can be really fun, and you’ll likely find that you end up buying something different than you originally planned to buy. Aside from the recommendations above, you might consider renting a few RVs in various shapes and sizes to see what works best for you. This will also allow you to determine what type of camping and/or campsites you prefer.

My wife and I rented several different types of RVs, from Class A motorhomes to small travel trailers. We discovered that we prefer getting away from other people, and often end up boondocking or camping in campgrounds without hookups. A smaller trailer was a good choice for us, and we knew we would need solar and/or a generator. We use our trailer for recreational camping, not as a first or second home. As a result, things like big lounge chairs and a big television don’t matter to us. For other people, these things may be high priorities.

I think you need to be very thoughtful about your priorities and expectations in any camper. Enjoy the research and the hunt!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We are retired and have been Airstreaming for almost fifteen years. We have almost 2,200 nights of Airstream camping which is about 1/3 of our time since we retired. We have Airstreamed in all of the lower 48, Alaska, and most of the Canadian provinces. We have enjoyed our Airstream travel more than we can say.

You are on the right track for a very enjoyable retirement. Beast wishes in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote