Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Lightbulb In-person tutorial

Hi,

My name is Andrea; my partner EJ and I recently became the proud owners of a 2020 28 Flying Cloud! We are utter newbies, and plan on using the Airstream as temporary housing while our house is built.

We could use some assistance with how to get enough electricity running to power a space heater. E are also interested in finding out if there is anyone local to us (near Sequim, WA) who could come out to out property for a guided tour of the unit, as YouTube videos don't always do the trick. We'd be wiling to pay for the time.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
AndreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Something you might try is going to the top of the page, just below the AIR FORUMS logo, and click on the Portal tab. Scroll down, and at some point you will find a utility that helps connect you to volunteer inspectors. Maybe this will at least help you find local types who are willing to help, and then you at least have someplace to start.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
If you can't find a local volunteer, another possibility is to contact a certified RV inspector (familiar with Airstreams) to come over and give you an introduction. While we ended up not using an inspector when we bought our used Globetrotter, we did talk to a guy who was very familiar with them and gave me a lot of good tips. You can find inspectors at https://nrvia.org/locate/ . Pricing for formal inspections for us ranged between $450 and $600. This included a full day's inspection plus a written report. They might give you a break if you only want them to spend a couple of hours with them. And even though you've already bought your trailer, it may be worth it to you to have a pro do an inspection anyway in case there are some hidden problems you're going to have to get fixed anyway.

Good luck
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And if you haven’t pulled out your owners manuals, do so.

Mark them up as needed, look at pictures/diagrams, add tabs for import sections such as winterizing, fuses, etc.

Do some driveway camping to practice using systems and gain some familiarity.

Consider some weekends at a nearby campground, where you will find yourself surrounded by people familiar with RV’s and their systems who are generally very willing to offer information.

There’s nothing quite like some practical experience to fuel your knowledge.

All while awaiting more hands-on, personalized help.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to AirForums!

Just curious...how come you weren't given a "walk-thru" from the seller of your almost new trailer?

You may also want to pick up "The Beginners Guide to Airstreaming" as a handy reference.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!

You don't need anything more on your list ... but .....

In a lot of areas, simply setting up and living in a trailer (even on your own property) is not simple. Local building codes may place constraints on what you can do or the permits you need. The only way to really dig into that is going to be at the local office or through a lawyer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
Hi,

My name is Andrea; my partner EJ and I recently became the proud owners of a 2020 28 Flying Cloud! We are utter newbies, and plan on using the Airstream as temporary housing while our house is built.

We could use some assistance with how to get enough electricity running to power a space heater. E are also interested in finding out if there is anyone local to us (near Sequim, WA) who could come out to out property for a guided tour of the unit, as YouTube videos don't always do the trick. We'd be wiling to pay for the time.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi, I’m in PA
PM if you still want some help
Larry
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Thanks much!
Old 09-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Thanks Shari! We were given a preliminary walkthrough, kinda...but due to traffic they arrived at 10p and we had to first spend time attempting to unhitch the trailer on a somewhat uneven surface, which proved to be a challenge. My partner and I are both the kind of people who learn better through live demonstration than reading, and it would be great to have someone to bounce questions off of in real time.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
If you can't find a local volunteer, another possibility is to contact a certified RV inspector (familiar with Airstreams) to come over and give you an introduction. While we ended up not using an inspector when we bought our used Globetrotter, we did talk to a guy who was very familiar with them and gave me a lot of good tips. You can find inspectors at https://nrvia.org/locate/ . Pricing for formal inspections for us ranged between $450 and $600. This included a full day's inspection plus a written report. They might give you a break if you only want them to spend a couple of hours with them. And even though you've already bought your trailer, it may be worth it to you to have a pro do an inspection anyway in case there are some hidden problems you're going to have to get fixed anyway.

Good luck
Appreciate it, thank you!
Old 09-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And if you haven’t pulled out your owners manuals, do so.

Mark them up as needed, look at pictures/diagrams, add tabs for import sections such as winterizing, fuses, etc.

Do some driveway camping to practice using systems and gain some familiarity.

Consider some weekends at a nearby campground, where you will find yourself surrounded by people familiar with RV’s and their systems who are generally very willing to offer information.

There’s nothing quite like some practical experience to fuel your knowledge.

All while awaiting more hands-on, personalized help.

Maggie
Thanks Maggie, great ideas.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Hi, I’m in PA
Larry
Hi

The "I'm in PA and can help" had my head spinning for a bit. Never mind that I've been to Port Angeles and caught the ferry more than once .....

Bob
Old 09-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Hi, I’m in PA
Larry
I did, thanks Larry!
Old 09-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Welcome !!!

You don't need anything more on your list ... but .....

In a lot of areas, simply setting up and living in a trailer (even on your own property) is not simple. Local building codes may place constraints on what you can do or the permits you need. The only way to really dig into that is going to be at the local office or through a lawyer.

Bob
Thanks Bob, we're looking into all that and it's ok to have the trailer set up on our land. We're looking to build more permanent housing next year...

Cheers,
Andrea
Old 10-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaM View Post
Thanks Bob, we're looking into all that and it's ok to have the trailer set up on our land. We're looking to build more permanent housing next year...

Cheers,
Andrea
Hi

If you are building anyway, you *will* be putting in a power line and something to handle sewage. Both are kind of a big deal living in a trailer.

Dropping in a power feed is generally not going to constrain the house that eventually goes in. There is a cost, but you will be paying it eventually. Just what the cost is depends a lot on how far out you are. If this is an off grid setup, then the same solar (or whatever ... hydro dam ... ) that will power the house could also power the trailer.

Sewer / septic does tend to constrain the house that goes in. If you have solid plans, you might go ahead with that. The practical alternative is an in ground tank and a service to pump it out. When the house goes in, the tank might get yanked, it might also just get capped off and left.

Heat and a few other things require propane. The trailer has tanks. Running into town to get them refilled twice a week is going to get old really fast. The local propane outfit will be happy to drop off a nice large tank. They will come out with a truck to refill it every few months. Plumbing that tank to the trailer is not to crazy. If the tank needs to be moved / removed when the house comes along, that also is easy to do.

Parking long term on dirt (does it rain there? ) is not much fun. A truck full of gravel and a bit of work with a machine will give you a reasonable "pad" to park on / live on. When the house goes in, if it's in the way, not a big deal to remove it.

Fun !!

Bob