Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Cool I'm new to Airstream

Hello, all!

Hi! My name is George. I live in the mountains of Southern California. I just plunked down a couple grand more for a 19' 2001 Bambi than NADA guidelines indicate. I did it only after scouring the forum for all of the information regarding evaluations that I could find. The fact a 19' Airstream at NADA valuations doesn't exist helped. I was pretty glad to find one relatively close by, though.

After outfitting my family with all the great car camping conveniences in existence, I announced we were getting a trailer. I attended the RV show at the Pomona fairgrounds recently and after seeing the Airstream exhibit I knew I wouldn't be happy with anything else. The only problem was I couldn't afford $35,000.00+ for something to take my daughter camping in for a weekend a month. Suddenly, I went from the mindset of getting a new trailer to that of a used Airstream. Thus begannath the lessons of purchasing a used Airstream...

I really only felt comfortable with buying after I found and processed the information that everyone has spent their time sharing in these forums--thank you, thank you, thank you!

My tow vehicle is a modified 1987 Toyota Land Crusier, FJ 60. I retained the original in-line 6 and though it is nicely modified it is underpowered, for sure. I use it for off-road, too, but the fact is I would get in it and drive it around the world without giving it another thought.

I would love to offer courtesy parking, but I don't even have room for my new toy.

Again, thanks for all the information that enabled me to make an intelligent decision regarding my trailer!

-Happy trails!
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome George to the wonderful world of shiny aluminum. I'm sure you and your family are going to have a lot of fun in your new trailer. You will be amazed at how many people will want to talk to you about your choice of trailer, and have a look inside. One thing about Airstreams, you are never anonymous. I never knew that aluminum was magnetic - when attached to an axle and an Airstream nameplate on it, people are drawn to it likes moths to a light bulb. Enjoy, and look forward to hearing of your travels and maybe seeing you down the highway. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Good Luck with your new-to-you Airstream! You'll probably find this soon becomes an obsession !!! Check out some of the Airstream groups/clubs. BTW, it took me sometime to figure out that the WBCCI is 'the' Airstream Club, go figure! (yeah, I know what it stands for now) anyway, there are many informal gatherings too. Watch the forum.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Rivet

As a fellow Southern Californian (Lakewood), I just wanted to say .....Welcome George

You've come to the right place for opionions and any questions you may need answered.

Happy Trails

Safari-Rick
2005 AS Safari LS

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Congratulations on your new-to-you Airstream. Enjoy!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
BTW, it took me sometime to figure out that the WBCCI is 'the' Airstream Club, go figure! (yeah, I know what it stands for now)
Just for the "new guy", WBCCI stands for Wally Byam Caravan Club International.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Welcome to the Club!!

I can relate to your excitement on finding a 'used' AS. We drove nearly to Kansas from South Texas to pick up our jewel.

Now comes the fun part, which is making your AS into the trailer you always wanted. One piece of advice I will offer that was given to me at the early point in our AS career.

ADVICE: Decide whether you're going to renovate your AS or keep it original. This will save you money in the long run and help you focus on the direction you're going to take with any changes. Best of luck!!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

The only people I know of who can consistently purchase Airstreams at NADA prices are insurance companies paying out for totaled trailers.

Mark
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Congrats on your new Stream'. I know what you mean about seeing an Airstream for the 1st time and feeling like nothing else would do. I didn't even know I wanted a trailer until I saw my first Airstream, and then I didn't want anything else. After the taste of aluminum everything else seems weak.
Hope we see you out on the road, chances aren't bad since we seem to be in the same territory (upland, ca), and welcome to the forum.
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Barry- Thanks for the words of welcome--and the forewarning regarding the curious! I will take some pics when I get out for my maiden voyage. Thanks of the pic of your tow rig and trailer--very cool!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Safari Rick-

Thanks for the welcome! Every time I look at this trailer I get 10 more questions I have to research.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Mitch-

I can't stop messing with stuff. My '87 Land Cruiser is testament to that! (Pics to follow of maiden voyage) I thought for a nano-second I would keep it original and then I saw a thread about LED light conversions and saw a pergo floor that a guy in Riverside had done. Man, I'm screwed. I can't help but think I'm going to go over the top on this thing now, too.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Kestrell-

Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Upland. Gotta be able to get out on the road when you're from that sleepy little bedroom community. Great town, though. Look forward to seeing you on the road! Not too many 18 year old Land Cruisers towing an Airstream--that'll be me.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Terry-

Thanks for the heads up on WBCCI. I already sent my check.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Welcome Geosouth

I got my new AS in August. Never thought I would do anything other than cosmetic. Absolutely don't want to revisit the 70s though, I don't remember being too comfortable then either. Dusty is now in the auto hobby shop, gutted, walls have devinyled, vents replaced, windows resealed and floors and frame are next.

The project just kept growing, but I have been elated the entire time. Reconstruction after floor and frame to the chic bachelorette pad that I will live in for the next 3 years.

Good luck!
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
welcome to the group. people come to my door asking to see inside my tiny stream. tis a silver addiction,, i am hooked! happy trails,, dieterdog,,,2004 16 foot bambi ccd,,, wbcci 1865 freewheelers too!
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
DustyRhodes-

Yeah, sounds like you got the bug real bad. Good for You! I hope I get hooked up with a competent shop that I can count on to do it right. Thanks for the welcome.

George
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dieterdog-

Freewheeler, huh? Cool? You certainly live in the right state! Montana (and regions like Montana) are the places those of us in CA want to go. Where do you go want to go being from Montana? New York City, chicago? Thanks for the welcome.

-George