Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
I'm new and optimistic!

Hi there!

I don't have it in my hot little hands yet, but we are trying to purchase a 1968 Overlander. It is about an hour from me in Florida and while it seems to be in good shape, it is super original and needs minor repair and pretty major updates/corrections to areas that have been modified.

I didn't see any signs of leakage or weakness in the structure other than minor rust around where the stairs fold out for the front door.

The kitchen has been poorly modified and I don't love that.

The original couch is in place and I think its time for a new one.

I want to rip out the carpet and replace it with cork tiles.

I want to paint the interior and re-stain the wood work.

Is there any way to update the yellowy plastics in the bathroom?

I figure I'll just put a light weight IKEA sleeper sofa in the living room and my mom wants to mosaic the kitchen counters.

I'd love any ideas or suggestions!
Attached Images

megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
More pics
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Last few...
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Megan,

Welcome to the Airforums, that looks like a great find. To answer your plastic question, yes there is a way to restore them. check out this thread for more information. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...nfo-70629.html
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Yeah! Looks great. Thanks for posting!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I'm confused by the porch light. But otherwise it looks in pretty good shape for a 68. Good luck with your purchase.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to airforums.com, Megan! I'm sure you will love your new trailer, so be sure to stay happy and optimistic, y'heah?

There are several threads on here where folks have used specialized paint to upgrade the old bath plastics, use the Search button up top in the first dark blue horizontal line (I like the Google version in it) to search for bathtub paint.

By all means, put the Ikea couch in, but be sure to save the original one that can fold into a bed, there's a strong possibility that you may later decide to refurbish it and put it back in.

I think cork is a great choice for the floor. Warm AND comfortable,and is always right in style. Toadly cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
I'm confused by the porch light. But otherwise it looks in pretty good shape for a 68. Good luck with your purchase.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Looking at it, I'd say someone removed the original so-called "scare" light, patched the hole, then put on a plastic, what, turn signal, running light?

Anyway, not a critical issue, lots to do before worrying about that.

Never be afraid to ask about anything you can't find in search, or don't understand, Megan. We are here to help!

Aage

ps: before staining the wood (it's real wood in that year!), try a little bit of furniture oil. Danish teak oil, Watco oil, there's lots of different kinds. It's often just the ticket to revive and clean those panels. Rub it on, let it soak for a while, then just rub with a clean soft cloth, like an old towel. It will often cover up a lot of scratches, and make your wood come alive.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Wow guys! Thanks! I do hope that seller comes through for me. If not, there is another that looks interesting that I'm going to check out tomorrow just in case. The only problem is, it has the center gaucho and the front gaucho and I really need 1 more bed. We have 3 little ones, so the more beds, the better. Not to mention, I've been married for too long to think a full size is comfortable for the two of us! What search terms should I use to find options? I"m SOOOO excited that we are taking this leap and hope we find a good, sturdy home office, party shack, guest house, camper!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Floorplans

Megan,

Its my opinion that the people at airstream defined family as two thin adults and two small children at most. The floor plans in nearly every airstream I see reflect this.

By reworking the two gauchos, you can dramatically improve the usable sleeping space. We have a 20' Globetrotter that we sleep comfortably in. I have three little girls, 8-5-2 yrs old. I reworked the side couch to slide out to just a couple inches shy of a queen. The front Dinette is also a very large bed minus the curved corners. It works great for us now.

Whatever you end up with, it can be modified to meet your needs. Don't rule out a particular trailer that may be in great structural condition but have the wrong sized bed. And also beware of a trailer that might have good sleeping arrangements but other more complex and expensive problems.

Whatever you get, you will love it. Its a great community to be apart of and is so much more then just a camper!

Matt
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The fresh water tank is under the front gaucho. Before you decide to remove it, make sure a replacement will work. New foam and covers will make a huge difference in the comfort and appearance and keep the original functionality. All the plastic in the bathroom can be spray painted. For the sink and tube surfaces I would reccomend using a 2 part epoxy tub and tile paint. I used Tile Doc (bought it at Sherwin Williams) on my 68 Trade Wind with excellent results. For the surrounds I used the new Krylon Fusion spray cans. Finally, you said you wanted to paint the interior. A day or two with a bucket a brush and tilex and will make it look new. It is easy to start a lot of projects when you get a new trailer, but think the process all the way through before you start and see if you have the time and or talent to do it. If you want to camp this summer, you might want to just do one job at a time rather than gut the trailer. However much time you think an Airstream project will take, multiply by 3 or 4 and you will be about right (I'm not kidding).

One more thing, check the rear hatch area very carefully for floor rot. It there is rot there the whole bathroom will have to come out. It is a major job. Below is a link to TomW's site documenting his 67 refurb.

1967 Airstream Overlander

Good luck
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Welcome -- another Overlander clubber!!
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
So I am probably going to go with the 76 Ambassador. I haven't seen it yet, but the guy emailed me a video last night and he seems very honest. He has been selling/consigning them for 20 years and knows his stuff. He is putting new tires on it and we are going out to check it out and hopefully bring it home tomorrow. It is in better structural condition and is $500 less than the one I looked at yesterday. Plus, the other guy isn't so good at getting back with me. I think he may have some other folks on the line.

I totally think we can work with the configuration. I'm far more pleased with the condition on the Ambassador even though it only has the 2 gouchos. It's bigger and at the very least there is more room for an air mattress.

I'll post pics when I get them. For now, I'm just going to be looking up all the pertinent info on the 76 Ambassador!~
Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a set of photos of a '76 Ambasssador with rear bath. Is that the model you're getting or does it have a mid bath...?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Below is a link to TomW's web site on the refurb of his Overlander. Lot's of pics of floor repair. Hope this helps.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind
Below is a link to TomW's web site on the refurb of his Overlander. Lot's of pics of floor repair. Hope this helps.

That's a fantastic story :-)
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Thanks guys. The link of the other 76 Ambassador shows a unit that is identical to ours. Same fabrics, layout, wallpaper, etc. My husband is on his way to bring her home now!

Yesterday my mom gave me an awesome chenile bedspread that has a gold base and a white kind of tropical pattern. It'll be the first thing going in once I get it cleaned up.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
So we brought home the 76 Ambassador today. I am very happy, but we dove right in starting to clean it up and I forgot to take before pics of the interior. We've ripped out the carpet and I've started washing the walls. I'm going to go look for cork tiles tomorrow to do the floor in. It was pretty well maintained, totally original. There are 2 small spots of wood rot is all and it seems as though everything works. It is just really dirty, like there is a film on every surface, dust and dirt in every cranny and lots of the plastic interior pieces have yellowed. The light covers are horrendous, so I'll have to come up with lighting alternatives. I'm trying to clean the inside, one small section at a time with a scrub brush and water w/bleach. I'm so psyched! I can't believe I own an Airstream!!! It's going to be so cool!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wish I were in Florida cleaning a trailer instead of being in South Dakota looking at two feet of snow in my yard. Good luck with the project. Thanks for the update.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Congrats Megan! How exciting!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan View Post
I've been married for too long to think a full size is comfortable for the two of us!
Hey Megan, we have been married 37 years and have a king bed at home, but our little Safari only has a full bed. Worried a little that it would be too small, but guess what - we like it. Luck to you in your search. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 ambassador