Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

1968 30' Sovereign
N Miami Beach , Florida
I'm new!

Hi! I bought a 30' Sovereign (1968) on ebay. I am excited as I always wanted an Airstream. I have to tow it and I don't have a truck -yet. What is the least gas guzzling truck that can be used but that can still tow it safely?
Thanks
happygirlrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
a diesel

Not trying to sound like a wise guy (maybe a little...) but many of us prefer diesels. I'm averaging around 14 MPG towing and around 18 MPG for everything esle. My last gasser was lucky if it could get 11 or 12 MPG. I would imagine your 30' trailer would tow very nice behind any of the three domestic diesel trucks (Chevy, Dodge and Ford).
Enjoy,
KL
Old 05-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile Welcome

You sound like a "happy girl".

I am excited to see another Sovereign owner, especially one from the 60s. How's your windows? You know you are a defacto member of the "curved glass club". There are a few of us here on the forums. Hope to talk to you at the chat on Tuesday, 9pm your time.

As for a truck, we have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Hemi, which has been getting about 15.3 MPG. Just for your info.

Welcome again!!!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Springwater , New York
I have tried Ford, Dodge, GMC gas and diesel. The best truck on the road right now is the GMC 3500 Duramax Diesel with Allison Transmission (6 speed). The transmission is an engineering miracle; an automatic which performs like a standard. No need for exhaust brake or chip modifications. Incredible power and torque. My Ford was good; the Dodge Cummins a lemon. Good Luck!
The Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums and congatulations on your "new" trailer. Your trailer is listed at 4680 lbs dry with a hitch weight of 415 lbs. Many people use the 80% number for safety. That means if your TV is rated to tow 7000 lbs, you can safely tow 5600 lbs or 80% of 7000. Keep that in mind when looking for a truck. A good hitch setup and brake controller are equally important when it comes to safety.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Hi-
If you're looking for a way to get it home, I spoke with a guy who buys and sells in Palm Beach- he's robert77 and he says that he rents trucks from Enterprise to go on long trips and deliver trailers. Maybe send him a PM and ask if he's heading out full and coming back empty, just to get it home. He told me he rents Ford Excursions to get it done. I use a Ford F350 CC 4X4 pickup with 7.3 PowerStroke and love it, but to each his own. Fla is pretty flat- you may not need to have a diesel like we do for the hills. You could also take the tip from Robert77 and just rent an Excursion when you need a trip- saves from having to "drive big" all the time, or have a dedicated vehicle and its expense for an occasional weekend. That way you can feel it out.

Good luck- and make sure to hit the Long Key campground in the Keys- camp right on the ocean! Bahia Honda is nice too!
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
This may help!

When we bought our truck I came on here and got some great advice. I was so upset when I started looking at new trucks and the prices. I wanted something that would pull and not be worried. So I had a guy on here cant remember who told me to look at trucks 2 to 3 years old. And I'm so glad I did we found a 2003 Chevy 2500 heavy duty 4/4 loaded with the tow package and everything for almost half what a new one cost. But I will tell you the gas mileage stinks we never have really checked but I will say around 13 to 15.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A diesel would be the best on fuel but please not a Dodge they are so loud and disturb any quiet campground. (Even louder than my 323 Isuzu Turbo) How about a nice restored 68 3/4 ton pick up?
By the way welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new Airstream.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ditto the DURAMAX, and especially the new one (2006) as they've changed the injectors, upped the HP and torque. This is my second one and it's an amazing machine! The engine is as quiet as a gasoline engine due to changes in the injector system (no kidding). Good luck with your choice.