Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Question I'm hooked, help, which one?

Been looking at trailers, none have the community that the Airstream brand has.

I want to get one, need some advice on which model, plan on using it,

Oct thru April.

Just for my wife and myself, what size for two people should I concentrate on with a double bed.

Price range about $7,500

Bob
LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
For $7500, you should be able to get a 25' coach, depending on age and condition, in camping condition. If you want one for less cash, and fix it the way you want it, there is a 1960 (I think) Tradewind (24') advertised in the classifieds near you for $1500. The classifieds are great, just click on the "classifieds" tab at the top of your screen, and check in the areas for trailers for sale. You may be suprised, you may be able to get a newer coach than you would think.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Is there anywhere online to see the different floor plans for the models?

Bob
Old 08-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It really depends...

Several other factors might help narrow your search...

1. What are you going to pull it with?
- If you only have Tahoe or Expedition or F-150/Chevy 1500 type tow vehicle, then 25' is longest you can pull, and even then late model (wide body - 1995 and newer) trailers are heavier, so Excella or Classic from late '90's might be pushing it...

2. Where are you going to stay?
- Many state and local park campgrounds limit camper length to 25' or less.

3. What are you used to?
- Many members here have graduated from tents or VW Campers or Teardrops, and find a 16' or 19' trailer to be plenty, as long as it has double bed, shower and bath and A/C plus kitchen.. Others want room to entertain or travel with guests or spread out and have personal space...

All that said, $7500 won't buy recent 25' trailer, or much newer than 1985 or older, and probably with some fixing up.... The older you go, the more likely you'll spend time or money or both fixing systems and interior and running gear (axles/brakes/tires/hitch/frame)... You can also make decisions on interior taste, and whether dark vinyl wood-like trim and avocado upholstery meet your needs or you're going to have to upgrade.. You can find shorter or longer trailers than 25' for less, as larger ones take rarer tow vehicles, and smaller ones appeal to smaller market (often..) since they seem to be less roomy... I'd look in range of 22' to 25', and consider Argosy as well as Airstream brand..

DO search here for buying tips and other suggestions, to avoid trap of tapping entire budget and finding you have bad axles, a sagging separated frame, and failing appliances.. Sellers on E-Bay and other places would be delighted to sell you one of those and leave the surprise of discovering the ultimate cost to you for later...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome a 2nd time, lipets!

Layout is only visible indirectly as far as I know. See vintageairstream.com's Photo Archives & Model Index. Best wishes in your quest!

BTW, Terry's suggestion about value can be checked out further on the same webpage: Price vs. Condition

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
There was a 1980 Excella II in 25' version that came with center twins or a double bed. A 1981 version came in a 24' as well as 25' but not sure what configurations they were. These (top of the line then) trailers should go for under $9,000 depending on condition and the market location. Four years ago I saw a '80 Excella II 25' go for $10,000 but it had received a complete factory check and new tires the year before. It was in the mid twin configuration and ready to travel.

If you look closely and act quickly, you might be able to find the rear double bed side bath '85 Sovereigns for mid $8 or 9k. I know that is a little more than the $7,500 you mentioned but that floorplan is quite desireable.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our '66 24' Tradewind cost us $7000. The body is in great shiny condition. However, this old a trailer is bound to have some 'issues' as will most of this age. It will not prevent us from camping as all appliances work and we are looking forward to taking care of the 'issues' when we give it our personal decor and style. The older trailers are not as heavy (weight) as the newer ones so most half ton trucks or SUVs should be capable of taking your 25' or under wherever you want. The variety of floor plans for these sizes offer a double bed from a couch amidships and or the front. I do not think you will find a double bed in a rear bedroom in ths short of Airstream. Ours has twin beds amidship with privacy folding door and curtains separating rear bath and aother separated the bed(s) from the galley.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hey, Bob.
I have a few trailers....I'm planning to part with one or two.
I know of others around, too.
Do you want old or new?
Large or small?
Fixer upper or....not?
And, as others have asked....do you plan to tow it far? Or park it?

Did I mention I'm around the corner, also in Riverhead?

-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Several other factors might help narrow your search...

1. What are you going to pull it with?
- If you only have Tahoe or Expedition or F-150/Chevy 1500 type tow vehicle, then 25' is longest you can pull, and even then late model (wide body - 1995 and newer) trailers are heavier, so Excella or Classic from late '90's might be pushing it...

2. Where are you going to stay?
- Many state and local park campgrounds limit camper length to 25' or less.

3. What are you used to?
- Many members here have graduated from tents or VW Campers or Teardrops, and find a 16' or 19' trailer to be plenty, as long as it has double bed, shower and bath and A/C plus kitchen.. Others want room to entertain or travel with guests or spread out and have personal space...

All that said, $7500 won't buy recent 25' trailer, or much newer than 1985 or older, and probably with some fixing up.... The older you go, the more likely you'll spend time or money or both fixing systems and interior and running gear (axles/brakes/tires/hitch/frame)... You can also make decisions on interior taste, and whether dark vinyl wood-like trim and avocado upholstery meet your needs or you're going to have to upgrade.. You can find shorter or longer trailers than 25' for less, as larger ones take rarer tow vehicles, and smaller ones appeal to smaller market (often..) since they seem to be less roomy... I'd look in range of 22' to 25', and consider Argosy as well as Airstream brand..

DO search here for buying tips and other suggestions, to avoid trap of tapping entire budget and finding you have bad axles, a sagging separated frame, and failing appliances.. Sellers on E-Bay and other places would be delighted to sell you one of those and leave the surprise of discovering the ultimate cost to you for later...

John McG
Good points, I have a F-250 diesel 4x4, so going into snow country should work, Ebay have it's problems, I would give any cash until I see it.

Size wise I really don't want to go over 25', I'm used to tight quarters on my sailboat. So if I stay between 20-25' is it possible to change out twin beds for a queen in that size?

What model do you suggest, what are the most common pitfalls with these units?

Besides the listings here and E-bay any other places to look?

Bob
Old 08-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
What to do, what to do...

Another one infected with aluminitis.... oh dear!

Glad you got the bug! There are many things to do in looking for the trailer you want! There is a good thread on considerations when buying an Airstream that has nice information in it. I would take the time to read it. The link is below.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...eam-22920.html

I would also go and visit and look at every Airstream you can find! It will give you a better idea. Be sure and check out the rally schedule (located on the blue toolbar at the top of the forum) and find one near you and show up! There are always "tours" of everyone's Airstreams at rallys! There are also excellent websites that give oodles of information. The Vintage Airstream has a great link to photos and layouts of vintage 'streams.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/

My husband and I have a 1963 Bambi. We looked for several years before we found just the right one! We found one we could restore and use the pay-as-you-go method. Worked for us. Took hubby 10 months to get her on the road, but he did everything. Frame off, total disassemble and reassemble. We just love her. Just the right size for us.

Where you want to go with your trailer, what your tow vehicle is like, and how many creature comforts you require will help you make the right decision for you. Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
"Good points, I have a F-250 diesel 4x4, so going into snow country should work " Bob
If I were you, I'd really think long and hard about towing an Airstream (or anything) in snow . . . even with chains on both the TV and Airstream. That's just me, though. Also, if the two of you prefer to sleep together, and you like a little elbow room, you may want to consider a rear bedroom model. - Roy

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There is this rumor concerning Wally Byum and his inability to find a compatible sleeping partner, thus most older Airstreams have twin beds. Several people have gone against Wally's wishes and converted the twins to doubles or queens but the space is limited. One other site to check is Fred's page for both layouts and classifieds.
http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
what to do.

We have a 75 31 ft and just love it. We paid $5900 and it has been a work on as you can afford project, we have been able to camp during the process.
You will get all kinds of opinions on what year models we all like.
Some like the 60's and before because of all the great all wood some don't like the 70's because of all the fake wood.
We bought 70's because it was in the price range we wanted. We went with the 31 ft rear bedroom because we new we could add a queen to replace the twins and also because the bedroom was in the back. The 31 works great for us 2 adults and one growing by the day son.
We also went in to the whole idea of an older Airstream knowing we would have to work on it and keep it road worthy a lot of folks go in to buying an older unit and don't understand all the work that goes with it.
We bought our trailer from the classifieds here and everything worked pretty smooth.
We looked at a lot of trailers but you will know when the right one comes along, but jump on it then we missed 2 because we thought about it to long.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
If I were you, I'd really think long and hard about towing an Airstream (or anything) in snow . . . even with chains on both the TV and Airstream. That's just me, though. Also, if the two of you prefer to sleep together, and you like a little elbow room, you may want to consider a rear bedroom model. - Roy
What would all the truckers and people who pull their sleds and ATV's in their fancy enclosed trailers all winter have to say about that

Yes many of the States are not set up to deal with snow on their roads - especially the States that lie on that infamous frost line. But a fear unfounded is the worst.

Learn to drive in the snow and learn it well - you never never know these days when you will have to drag that puppy through a snow/ice/sleet storm.

It is not as hard as you think - and if you don't drive like a summers day on the I 95 at 75 mph - you should be just fine - and if you can see the back of the drivers head in front of you - you will be asking for trouble.

Don't be scared - conquor your fear - just as some people are afraid of backing up their trailer - it is an acquired skill.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
What would all the truckers and people who pull their sleds and ATV's in their fancy enclosed trailers all winter have to say about that
How right you are . . . .

Though where might someone take an AS in snow country, unless it was away from snow? One is pretty much confined to rest areas, maybe trailheads, and driveways...plowed terra ferma. Bob, where might you be planning on travelling to?

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I would like to go to the Yellowstone area this winter, I read that that is the only time the wolves come out and get close.

Also to do a little skiing would be great.

Thought about getting the trailer there in Nov-Dec.
I understand the roads are plowed. we would stay there a few weeks and see where we could go from there.

I have driven a lot in the snow lived in VT for a while.

We would like to also go south in warm weather before spring.

Bob

These 31' are looking kind of interesting because of the rear bedroom room for a queen.

No one has said what other smaller units would have a rear bed?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
If I was going where there are wolves, I'd sure want an Airstream to hide in! All kidding aside, I would recommend the 70's and 80's to you since they are the first ones with two holding tanks. I paid $6000.00 for my 78, 24ft Argosy in beautiful condition. I bought it from an honest dealer who helped me with a basic run through before I pulled it home. He's in El Paso, Texas, so I don't think that would work for you. The 70's AS are lighter, but have stood the test of time for the most part. Pay less and have money left over for new AC or water heater or whatever eventually gives out. I could not have asked for a better trailer than this 78, but I got to look at it and had the option of backing out if I didn't like it. I drove 700+ miles to see it and fell in love. Looking is half the fun, owning is the other half. We pulled our Argosy with an F150 before getting the Tundra. No problems with either. Weighed the trailer on a truck scale at 3,600 lbs, empty. Probably have a maximum of 500 lbs of stuff in it now, but the Tundra V8 pulls it like there is nothing back there. Good luck hunting.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
No one has said what other smaller units would have a rear bed?
I recall a friend of mine had a mid 70's Tradewind (25') that had a rear bed. That was a fine trailer. What about the Globetrotters from the late 70's/early 80's . . . I'm sure someone with a deeper knowledge of AS models will chime in.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
I recall a friend of mine had a mid 70's Tradewind (25') that had a rear bed. That was a fine trailer. What about the Globetrotters from the late 70's/early 80's . . . I'm sure someone with a deeper knowledge of AS models will chime in.

All depends on the definition of a rear bed

Our 69 Globe Trotter has the "Double" bed - but we are talking 48" wide here. So unless you fit into that American Food Norm (which most of us do not ) then the vintage double is not for you to share - unless of course the sharing is a fleeting moment of passion (which some of us still have once and a while )

If the AC is not quite working to optimum and you are hot - in the sense of being hot due to climate it can be a bit tight at the best of times. You could make the sliders for the goucho longer - but then you would have a diffictult time getting in to the bathroom. And the bed would have to be made up every day.

Without the dogs the double is fine for Peter and I, but add a big dog to the equation and it is too much or should I say not enough room. Small dogs and cats would be fine but not your 70+pounders.

I think the route you are on with the 25 Soveriegn would be an excellent choice. Not too much work as in the vintage. A little heavier but you have the TV for it anyway. You have the reintro of the solid oak interior. Nice mid bath and rear bedroom if you can find one. They are out there if you are patient.

If not the 60's Overlander would be a good choice. Either with the twin singles or the double. But then you could also retrofit the front couch to be a massive king in the front and use the mid singles as a place to hang out for card playing, watching TV or even installing a pilot post Marine style table for meals when you are not eatin outside. For Short runs where you are not camped out for lengthy periods the singles are great - with the couch and table up front -giving you the best of both worlds depending on the style of camping you are doing at that particular moment.

And ps how much room do you really need...... when you are not sleeping

good luck in your search - and as people have said when you find the right one - go with your gut at the moment - and trust us - it will not be your first or your last - so you have many more to test out all your theories.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Hay just and FYI look under the 1973 A/S overlander pics on left that is my trailer with the microwave bungied to the table aint that cool ...SAM opps click on link in post by carolstream

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote