Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
AIRSCREAM

1975 31' Sovereign
Fairfield Glade , Tennessee
Talking I scream for Airstream!

Hello, I am a happy three-time Airstream owner, this 1975 Land-yacht being the lastest entry into my other "life worries". I have been, and am still a sucker for the reflective and curvatious qualities these "Aluma-tombs" offer. I am a guitar restorer, and player. I enjoy the technical challenges that seem to present themselves with every Airstream ever manufactured. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REPAIR, OR IMPROVE! I live in Tennessee, but hail from San Diego. My wife Mary and I are finishing the resto on this 75 31'er as I type. I am NOT going to remove the vista windows, but I will re-seal them from the interior, and put a dark tint on BOTH sides, to hide the disentegrated ancient-tinting now ruining the asthetic look. I installed solid oak floors, and have re-vinyled the exterior "aluma-blue" stripes, (from my local sign shop) as well as replaced the blue trim. I believe beauty is in the details, so I went to Lowe's, and had them mix a quart of Airstream blue exterior/interior paint, and I proceded to hand-paint the AIRSTREAM logo's, as well as the "International side emblems. The exterior, (along with the new black rubberised bottom-trim and all new wheel and tire treatments) now it looks nearly as sweet as as I feel it should. I did remove the exterior finish, and will sometime in the future do a total-polish. The exterior has no dents, and there were no soft or bad floor spots, so I escaped with a relatively small amount of heavy restoration work. I really enjoy the simplistic, and durable design of these old girls, and I really like the lighter weight of the pre-81 models as well. Thank you all for welcoming us to the comunnity! If we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to e-mail. Cheers, and please keep the shiney-side up! Tony and Mary Zarola
o-henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
o-henry, welcome to the AirForums, happy to see you here. Hope to see some pictures soon, sounds like a great restore project you and your wife have. Keeps us all posted.

If tou have time and want to see a great Forums rally, we have the Georgia Fall Rally in Hiawassie, GA which is right on the TN border. 30+ trailers are signed up - 3 days of Airstreaming, there is a rally thread here for more information.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ins-32035.html

The search function will be your gateway to a welth of info, it's on the blue bar above.

Have fun, Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
AIRSCREAM

1975 31' Sovereign
Thank you Michael, we have a passion for Airstream people, and thier machines. I will take your direction, and post pic's later! Cheers, Tony Zarola
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Tony,
Did you realize you live 20 miles from one of the nicer Airstream campgrounds in the country? There are a few of us out here that lurk the forums on occasion. The general populace here are true Airstreamers, most not caring about the polishing practise, but who, none-the-less, do love their Airstreams. Drive out and spend the night in your unit with us some time. We have 7 or 8 visitors lots, full hookups, $15 a night.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
AIRSCREAM

1975 31' Sovereign
Thank you Jerry! we have been to the camp-ground, and we are actually considering a lot-purchase. We live in the Glade, but we really need to escape sometimes! Please stay in touch, and we will have a holiday with you before the FALL ENDS....WE MIGHT TRY FOR A YEAR-ROUND EXPERIENCE, IF WE SELL THIS HOME.....Cheers Jerry....Tony and Mary Zarola