Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I finally got one

I've been researching airstreams and this forum for a few years. After much research and debate (with myself) I finally made the plunge. I brought home a 'new' 2011 International 23fb yesterday. After spending so much time on the forum I simply felt the need to post.

For me it was airstream or nothing. I almost talked myself out of a purchase by researching and reading about the issues with airstreams. At least I can't say I wasn't informed about my purchase, and now I will attempt to be vigilant in guarding against leaks and corrosion.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Congrats on the purchase!

When you put new in quotes, do you mean new-to-you? Or a never-titled new unit from a dealer lot that just happens to be a previous model year?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yay, and congratulations, Cap'n! Glad to hear your voyage was fruitful!

Now, we need to see some photos of your new baby!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
It was a never-titled unit. I realize there is much debate on the use/abuse of campers that sit on the lot. I figured it isn't any more used than if it had been camped in and trailered, it was a good deal, it was an even better deal when compared to the cost of a 2013, and I got a 2 year warranty.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Good for you!!!

Did you buy it at Crain here in Little Rock?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations Cap'n! I'm with you, nothing gives as much satisfaction and we have enjoyed ours immensely. Heading out for 6 month coast to coast trip next month, can't imagine having anything else.

They like regular maintenance and can last your lifetime. We set up a fairly thorough quarterly inspection routine that includes leak inspection by probing through the vinyl to the subfloor with a moisture detection meter, and treatment of all exterior cut edges, rivets, and fittings with CorrosionX. Also sprayed the underbody steel with Boeshield T9 (or Boeshield T9) as soon as we brought it home from the dealer. Check the exterior sealants and seals, tires, pests inside, batteries, keep it clean. Makes a big difference in keeping you and your trailer happy.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I actually bought it at Reliable RV in Springfield. I wish I could have purchased locally. Crain had a 2012 Sport 22fb, and they (Andy) made me a very fair offer without/before negotiating. Based on that first offer I had a good 'feeling' about Crain and would liked to have worked with them, but I really preferred the 23fb. My 2011 was manufactured in February 2011. I don't know how long Reliable had the airstream, but no doubt they needed to sell it to get new models.

Have you used Crain for any service work? I know they are new to airstreams, but I will eventually need someone for maintenance issues (winterizing, etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	588.5 KB
ID:	168095  
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I already have those items on my shopping list: moisture meter, Bioshield, etc. I'm hoping to start treating the seams, etc this weekend. I will also start building a carport in the next few weeks for some weather protection. One item I need to research a bit more is sealing around lights and whether I should 'caulk' between the light housings and the body, etc. I guess that's my homework for tonight. I'll try to stay ahead of filiform which would be disappointing, but I've already decided I can live with it if it happens. Leaks are my bigger concern. Again....I'm informed.

Our maiden voyage is this weekend, and we (wife and 3 kids) are very excited.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
I actually bought it at Reliable RV in Springfield. I wish I could have purchased locally. Crain had a 2012 Sport 22fb, and they (Andy) made me a very fair offer without/before negotiating. Based on that first offer I had a good 'feeling' about Crain and would liked to have worked with them, but I really preferred the 23fb. My 2011 was manufactured in February 2011. I don't know how long Reliable had the airstream, but no doubt they needed to sell it to get new models.

Have you used Crain for any service work? I know they are new to airstreams, but I will eventually need someone for maintenance issues (winterizing, etc).
I haven't used Crain, or anybody else for that matter, for service work. I live in my Excella, so I don't winterize it, but keep it warm through the winter. Not that difficult in LR.

I have gotten the occasional part and bought supplies there. I've been shopping at that location for quite some time. Before Crain started carrying Airstreams, even before it was Crain. It was a family owned RV shop before. It's the closest RV dealership to me. I live in Landmark, down towards East End.

Everyone seems like they are nice people. I've talked to the service people, too. They seem knowledgeable and helpful, but it's from conversations, not from actually having them do stuff.

Great looking Airstream! Enjoy your camping trip this weekend. I know you'll have fun.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post

I know that Reliable has had the unit since they've had the franchise. Around Feb of 2011.

When we bought ours from Reliable (April of last year), your trailer was the other option we considered, but decided on the Flying Cloud.

Did you buy from Blair?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I worked with Lance. Bates RV near Tampa had an identical unit, and I had actually negotiated a better price on that one. They sold it while I was trying to negotiate with Reliable. I really didn't want to drive to Florida to get it anyway, and I couldn't lay eyes on it. It all worked out.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations!!! We close on ours on the 11th of this month. Do you happen to have any kind of list of things we might need for our "maiden voyage"?? I'm pretty nervous about this!!! But, excited. Safe travels.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Not really. I have seen a few posts about that subject on the forum. Our dealer told us to use our camper two or three times before we bought anything beyond the starter kit they ( the dealer) supplied. We have only used ours three times, and we are still learning (wish we could use it more but it's hard with two working parents and small kids) . After every trip we discover something to pick up before the next trip.