Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Howdy - We're Seriously Looking

Hello, AS Forum. You all have been absolutely superb as a detailed source of advice, and for helping us decide to make the move to AS this year. I've been towing a conventional lightweight TT for 3 years, but am actually looking to trade down in size - but up in quality. I come from an RV-ing family tradition, and my Dad always had his eye on Airstreams, he just couldn't quite convince himself on the price of a new unit.

We have our eye on the new Safari Sport 22, or a Bambi 19, to be towed behind a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8, 3.73 rear, Class III/IV factory tow package, (7000 lb rating), and a Hensley-Arrow hitch, that has handled a 4400 lb loaded trailer quite well.

We look forward a lot of learning and enjoyment.

John W
Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello John and Welcome!

This is an awesome forum with lots of great folks, good information, and fun things to do! There are several different threads on both the newest Airstreams and Vintage. If you are truly looking here is a thread that has some good food for thought ~ it will be easy for you to skip through it if you are a seasoned trailerite!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck finding just the right A/S! You might also check the rally calendar and see if there are any rallies in your neck of the woods... attend one and talk to folks that have newer A/S and see what they think!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tradis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi John,
Welcome!
I think you are making a good long-term decision. Having owned multiple "square old box" type RVs (SOB), I found construction to be superior over-all in an Airstream. I am of the opinion that you are better off buying the best you can afford, it's almost always cheaper in the long run.
I don't plan on ever going back...
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo
Hello, AS Forum. We have our eye on the new Safari Sport 22, or a Bambi 19, to be towed behind a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8, 3.73 rear, Class III/IV factory tow package, (7000 lb rating), and a Hensley-Arrow hitch, that has handled a 4400 lb loaded trailer quite well. We look forward a lot of learning and enjoyment. John W
Whizzo - Welcome to the best source of Airstream information there is. You are making a good & well informed decision & move into the Airstream way of looking at things !!

The only input I might offer is to give some thought as to whether or not you & yours will be really comfortable & not cramped in that size trailer. Don't mean to belittle your previous RV experiences, but it isn't unusual for folks to buy a small'ish AS, only to then find they need a tad more room, for any one of many reasons, and that gets expensive .

I'm only around the corner from you, west of San Marcos. PM me if I can be of any help in your decision.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Also check out the QC thread. There are about 4 seperate threads, one per model year. The most recent can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Hello, AS Forum. I've been towing a conventional lightweight TT for 3 years, but am actually looking to trade down in size - but up in quality. I come from an RV-ing family tradition, and my Dad always had his eye on Airstreams.

We have our eye on the new Safari Sport 22, or a Bambi 19, to be towed behind a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8, 3.73 rear, Class III/IV factory tow package, (7000 lb rating), and a Hensley-Arrow hitch, that has handled a 4400 lb loaded trailer quite well. We look forward a lot of learning and enjoyment.
John W
First off Whizzo, your Dad sounds like a very wise and insightful man with very good taste! They say, the apple never falls far from the tree...

You didn't say what size your SOB was ("some other brand" in Airstremese), so the 19'/22' size may or may not be a step up/down in size and space. Whatever the case, it will be an adjustment.

Please don't focus just on the price of the new Airstream in picking a size/model, there are used ones out there in excellent condition. Spend some time in the one's you're interested in WITHOUT the salesman present! Sit a spell in trailer, both sofa & dinette, check out the bed and making it (the bed)... sit on the commode and see if your comfortable... knockin' knees have been an issue with some folks. If there is more than 2 of you camping on long trips, size does make a difference.

You tv sound very much up to the job for a 19'/22' and the Hensley hitch is outstanding, nary an issue there.

If you decide to go larger, then you may have to reassess the tv due to weight.

Welcome to the forums and to Airstreaming!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Hello, AS Forum. I've been towing a conventional lightweight TT for 3 years, but am actually looking to trade down in size - but up in quality. I come from an RV-ing family tradition, and my Dad always had his eye on Airstreams.

We have our eye on the new Safari Sport 22, or a Bambi 19, to be towed behind a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8, 3.73 rear, Class III/IV factory tow package, (7000 lb rating), and a Hensley-Arrow hitch, that has handled a 4400 lb loaded trailer quite well. We look forward a lot of learning and enjoyment.
John W
First off Whizzo, your Dad sounds like a very wise and insightful man with very good taste! They say, the apple never falls far from the tree...

You didn't say what size your SOB was ("some other brand" in Airstremese, "same 'ol box" in latin), so the 19'/22' size may or may not be a step up/down in size and space. Whatever the case, it will be an adjustment.

Please don't focus just on the price of the new Airstream in picking a size/model, there are used ones out there in excellent condition. Spend some time in the one's you're interested in WITHOUT the salesman present! Sit a spell in trailer, both sofa & dinette, check out the bed and making it (the bed)... sit on the commode and see if your comfortable... knockin' knees have been an issue with some folks. If there is more than 2 of you camping on long trips, size does make a difference.

You tv sound very much up to the job for a 19'/22' and the Hensley hitch is outstanding, nary an issue there.

If you decide to go larger, then you may have to reassess the tv due to weight.

Welcome to the forums and to Airstreaming!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums and congratulations on your decision to moe to an Airstream...I doubt you will ever regret it! Wemoved from a small motor home to an AS and have never looked back...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Also check out the QC thread. There are about 4 seperate threads, one per model year.
Wow - some serious food for thought, indeed. We checked out an '08 SS22 in person today, and it's amazing how few of the details listed in the quoted thread we actually noticed! Well, this was only our first look, but we're now far better armed when delivery time comes.

The unit felt larger and more airy than I expected. We really like AS' more modern, simple look and fittings. I think I dislike most SOB lines just because of the frilly patterns inside most.

22 is plenty livable for just us two - no kids or pets. Serious discussions beginning tonight...

John W
Old 04-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Whizzo,we are two and two standard poodles. Chose the 22' SS and after 7 months and over a thousand miles are extremely satisfied with our choice. Since you have been looking at them you probably noticed that extra three feet really makes a difference compared to the Bambi. We tow without a WDH or sway control and have not encountered any problems. Your TV may be different.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Whoo-Hoo!

We'll be full-fledged A/S-ers very soon: we signed the deal today on the Safari Sport 22, and plan to take delivery in one week.

Thanks for all the advice on what to look for in QC-ing new models. Can't wait to start experiencing the 'mythical' great towing and great campsite living. And of course, the fellowship of the shiny silver!

John W
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hope you'll be able to sleep this next week ~ post pictures when you can!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote