Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Howdy From Texas

Hello All. I live in Austin, Texas and I've been lurking here for a week or so, but decided to join and introduce myself.

As a fan of modern art and architecture, I've always loved the look of vintage AS trailers, and you can't help but be moved by the nostalgic feelings they inevitably evoke about Americana. Since childhood, I've done extensive tent camping in my life, but since my wife and I just had our first child, I've started thinking about trailers, and my thoughts immediately turned to the vintage AS. I've never owned a trailer before, but I think I'd really enjoy having one, and I'd also love to renovate one that was in poor condition and really make it my own. I can tell from reading the forums that it takes a LOT of work, but I've done a lot of remodeling to my own home, and I've rebuilt a boat or two as well, so I think I'm up for it. I'm an engineer by trade and fairly handy, and I really enjoy large projects like this.

The main thing I need to decide is which style to get, and what size. In addition to camping, I can envision using it as a guest house at some point as well, so I'm thinking it would need to be fairly big. I would definitely appreciate any ideas and advice from all of you veterans on how to approach this. I think aesthetically, I am most drawn to the 50s and 60s models.

I look forward to hearing from you, and sharing ideas. This looks like a really close and interesting community.

Thanks in advance for your help, and my apologies in advance for the numerous stupid questions I have no doubt that I will ask.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi and Welcome to the forums. I like the 60's models also. We had a 72 Overlander and sold it and bought a 65 Tradewind. Even though it is smaller in length, it seems to have more room. Only downfall is it has a small bathroom. Good Luck on your search and be sure and check out the classifieds.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

There are many forum members in your area, and you actually just missed a great vintage rally in your area last weekend.

Be sure to post lots of pics....we love them.

Steve
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

For the uses that you mention. Something the 25 foot range might be your best bet. It's big enough for a growing family, would make a suitable guest room at the house, and would be light enough to tow with a reasonable tow vehicle. Vintage Airstreams in this size range are readily available in a reasonable price range. The smaller the vintage unit, the higher the price.

Best of luck in your search for the prfect Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Lost in the 60's

Hey Austin, Welcome to the forum. As others have said, you can learn a lot by reading the posts and searching the classifieds. I'm in a similar place as you - just a bit further along. I'm a product designer in Dallas and loved the iconic styling of the Airstreams - so I bought a fixer-upper last year and am starting the work on it this spring. I'm a total novice, but everyone has been great with both their help and knowledge. You might also visit with Eric at Texas Vintage Trailer in the hill country - you can google him. Looks like a cool shop. Keep us posted. (BFA UT Austin '72)
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Welcome utee94. As mentioned earlier, you just missed a great Vintage Rally that was held last week in Montgomery, 60 odd miles north of Houston. There were 33 vintage units signed up for tours by the general public. That would have given you the opportunity to see the various model years and help you better make up you mind. The oldest was a 1952 model. A few were for sale, both totally renovated and in need of total renovation. Your choice. Whether you have selected your Vintage unit or not by next year, watch for this rally when it is again held likely in early February of 2009 and plan on attending for either the whole rally or for just for an afternoon.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I'm sorry I missed the vintage rally, it sounds like it would have been the perfect opportunity to get a feel for the styles and options that are out there.

moosetags, thanks for the insights. So, in the 60s, it seems like the Overlander is probably the model that has the length to match your suggestion, is that correct? In looking around the forums and all of the pictures, I definitely like the looks of the Overlander, and from what I can tell from pictures, the layout seems pretty good too.

pcasa-- I'm a UT grad as well. BS Electrical Engineering in '94 (hence my moniker, which I've used on other message boards for quite a while) and then an MBA in 2003. I've worked at a large semiconductor company here in Austin since finishing grad school. I like the looks of your Caravel-- do you have a thread of your own where you are detailing your reno? Also, thanks for the contact here in the hill country, I'll definitely check him out. Like I said, the trailer/RV world is completely new to me, and I can use all the help I can get.

GStephens-- Maybe by next February I'll have a vintage AS of my own to bring to the rally!

Thanks again to all, I look forward to picking your brains further in the weeks/months/years to come.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Welcome Austin --

We have visited Austin several times and absolutely LOVE the city.
We've always had a great time there.
Good luck....
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums and good luck in your search for the perfect vintage coach. I also love the 50s and 60s models. Even though they are lots of work they are worth it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Sugarfoot.

gypsygirl-- I'm one of the rare few who was actually born here-- I'm glad you like it. I'd love to visit Ontario. I've never been, but maybe someday I'll be able to camp there in my own trailer.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
Howdy!

Howdy, utee94, from a couple of old Ags ['91 and '93] so. of SA. You'll find a wealth of info in these forums. Enjoy your search. We have had several Airstreams, as our needs have changed throughout the years. Always on the lookout for the next big thing.... Good luck and happy camping!

"A fairly bright boy is far more intelligent and far better company than the average adult." --John B. Haldane
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by campw/4sons
Howdy, utee94, from a couple of old Ags ['91 and '93] so. of SA. You'll find a wealth of info in these forums. Enjoy your search. We have had several Airstreams, as our needs have changed throughout the years. Always on the lookout for the next big thing.... Good luck and happy camping!
Hi campw4, '91 and '93 don't make you old, do they? I got my undergrad in '94, so if you're old, then I suppose I am too.